Author Topic: Campbell shot us in the foot this year!  (Read 2028 times)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Campbell shot us in the foot this year!
« on: July 17, 2014, 01:22:57 PM »
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-17/ballups-on-the-rise

As the new head of the Umpires, our ex-captain and assistant coach hurt our chances from the start of the year with his directions.

I'm not saying by any stretch of the imagination that the umpires are the main reason we started the year so poorly but it does seem a remarkable coincidence that we went from being one of the best stoppage and contested teams in the league last year to one of the worst for the first half of this year. All the extra numbers around the ball killed our game plan.

Wayne obviously believed that by putting away the whistle it would make the game faster and more attractive but in effect, it did the opposite. We are not a high tackling side. We zone and carol. When the game opens up we are deadly as we showed against Port. With less stoppages and more numbers around the ball, the umpires inability to blow the whistle has hurt us greatly.

Look at our numbers, results and games since Round 15. I can't say its the biggest reason for our poor form early but Campbell or his umpires certainly didn't do us any favours this year!  :banghead

tony_montana

Re: Campbell shot us in the foot this year!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 01:32:47 PM »
 comeone stripes thats just ridiculous  :lol

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 01:34:26 PM »
Get rid of field umpires I say! Have a goal umpire at each end, a spring loaded platform for centre bounces, a metal detector on the players race and may the best team win!

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 01:38:38 PM »
comeone stripes thats just ridiculous  :lol

;D

It has hurt us though. We like stoppages, we like space, we don't like congestion. Read the attached article and you'll see my point.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 01:39:40 PM »
Next you'll be saying some ludicrous like 9,11 was an inside job

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 01:56:55 PM »
Next you'll be saying some ludicrous like 9,11 was an inside job
come on Judge, you have a whole friggin section dedicated to your conspiracy theories so in my best south london accent I say.."leave it out."

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 03:13:43 PM »
Get rid of field umpires I say! Have a goal umpire at each end, a spring loaded platform for centre bounces, a metal detector on the players race and may the best team win!

A metal detector  :lol 

I like it. That'll get the crowds back. Turn the oval into The Ocatgon....AAAAAANNND IT'S TIME !!
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 03:57:09 PM »

I like it. That'll get the crowds back. Turn the oval into The Ocatgon....AAAAAANNND IT'S TIME !!

Or Dice that Calcio Fiorentino game they play in Florence. How good would Dusty be in this format and girls like Heppell would be permanently in the Magoo's

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 04:37:18 PM »

Or Dice that Calcio Fiorentino game they play in Florence. How good would Dusty be in this format and girls like Heppell would be permanently in the Magoo's

Haha ! yeh , those guys are mad. They belt the hell out of each other and at the end of the game their prize for winning is.....wait for it..... a cow !
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 05:39:32 PM »
Now they some real Italian sportsmen who don't roll around like bunnies when they cop a fairy tap, unlike those soccer ponces.
Lots of people name their swords......

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 06:37:19 PM »
 :huh3 :facepalm

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline unplugged

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 07:27:57 PM »

As the new head of the Umpires, our ex-captain and assistant coach hurt our chances from the start of the year with his directions.

I'm not saying by any stretch of the imagination that the umpires are the main reason we started the year so poorly but it does seem a remarkable coincidence that we went from being one of the best stoppage and contested teams in the league last year to one of the worst for the first half of this year. All the extra numbers around the ball killed our game plan.

Wayne obviously believed that by putting away the whistle it would make the game faster and more attractive but in effect, it did the opposite. We are not a high tackling side. We zone and carol. When the game opens up we are deadly as we showed against Port. With less stoppages and more numbers around the ball, the umpires inability to blow the whistle has hurt us greatly.

Look at our numbers, results and games since Round 15. I can't say its the biggest reason for our poor form early but Campbell or his umpires certainly didn't do us any favours this year!  :banghead

Ridiculous.  Sorry Stripes, we had no contested ball players in the side until they started playing Miles.  Umpires had nothing to do with it.  Last year we had Tuck and that was it.  Our last 6 weeks have been on the back of Miles.  Take him out of the side and we will be dishing up bottom of the ladder poo again.

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 11:39:06 PM »

are you taking something today cause that is just pure CRAZY TALK.  :lol

Online TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 11:03:55 PM »
Aside from pointing the finger at the umpires, Stripes does have a point that we are deadly when we are able to play free flowing football.

The game changes every 2-3 months slightly, sometimes more than others. I blame the lack of ability off field for us to adapt to the style of the game both during games and from week to week. Port Adelaide have played free flowing football for months, they had coaches and back room staff that found a way. We consistently fail in the coaches box to be 1 step ahead of the opposition.

When our Plan A doesn't work, we may as well walk off and head for the showers. Taken us this long to perfect our Plan A and the season is all but over.
Go Tigers!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 11:34:35 PM »
The problem with your argument Stripes is that this waiting to blow the whistle wasn't in place for the Elim. Final last year which exposed our weaknesses against opposition sides who go one-on-one against us. It's no surprise that we played our best footy for the year against Port last weekend. They pushed numbers back to keep their forward line open for their slingshot gameplan which for a rare time this year allowed space for our half-backs to rebound and attack. We then were able to slice through their defence more often than they were able to slingshot the ball over the top of our press to Gray and Whitey.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd