Author Topic: Richmond gets itself together (Age)  (Read 977 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond gets itself together (Age)
« on: August 28, 2014, 03:08:27 AM »
Cotchin interview ...

VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2014-08-27/cotchin-on-sydney

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Richmond gets itself together

Matt Murnane
     The Age
    August 28, 2014

Staring down their biggest opponent in their biggest game of the season this week, Tigers  captain Trent Cotchin says his club might have already achieved something this year that could prove just as valuable as a finals appearance.

The eighth-placed Tigers must defeat ladder leader Sydney at ANZ Stadium on Saturday to extend their incredible winning run to nine wins and secure a spot in the finals, a feat that seemed impossible two months ago.

But even if the club was  to fall short, Cotchin says the players had created something during their stunning late-season run that could hold the club in a strong position for next year and beyond – a culture of "togetherness" that many of the league's best clubs use to underpin sustained success.

He's developed another layer to his leadership style after being publically queried early on for not being demonstrative enough with his teammates.

And, the Tigers have learned they can in fact take their consistency to an increased level despite having their backs against the wall when they had won just three games from 13.

"To have the resolve and turn the corner midway through the season was a really good thing for our group," he said.

"We've probably taken a step back to come forward and I think all the great clubs do that at some stage.

"Hopefully at the end of the season, whenever that is, we'll be able to review it as a real positive move for us as a group."

Cotchin said he focused on staying positive and upbeat when the Tigers' season hit its rough patch.

The shock 17-point loss to Melbourne in round nine that followed the death of club great Tommy Hafey rocked them, while the Dreamtime at the 'G defeat by the Bombers proved a "turning point".

He's also been impressed at how the culture of the group has proven to be an influential part of their return to contention.

"I think we've got a culture here where we all rely on each other quite heavily and that's what you want in a footy club," he said.

"You talk about all the proud clubs that have been at the top for a long time and it just seems their culture is they can go to anyone and everyone in the side, whether it be one of the coaches or another player, even someone in admin as well.

"That's the sort of culture we're trying to drive and strive to have here at Tigerland.

"Credit to our group, and not just our leadership group, our core group and our young leaders as well, we've all stepped up and the results are the proof of some hard work and the consistency in our performance."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/richmond-gets-itself-together-20140827-109803.html
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-27/cotchin-confident-of-upset

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond gets itself together (Age)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 07:13:55 AM »
Stop talking skata Trent and preparing yourself for a loss

The culture most on here have demanded for 15 years now you start talking about it now

Heard it all before pal
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 11:00:04 AM »
Stop talking skata Trent and preparing yourself for a loss

The culture most on here have demanded for 15 years now you start talking about it now

Heard it all before pal
Let's hope its true this time and not just spin.

I saw flea the other day on tv (can't remember which show) spoke about rebuilds at the club. He said he's heard a lot of talk about rebuilds and 5 year plans over the years but this is the first time he's actually seen it.

I know what you mean though because we've been sold this crap too many times but I don't mind hearing this type of talk.

Let's hope its for real.   :pray

But let's face it, we won't really know if it's for real until we play constantly competitive footy, regular finals pushing for top four, regularly beat Geelong etc. and we see continued development of our youth and our recruiting is more than just first round.

The club that keeps giving.

the claw

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 08:40:02 PM »
if we had it together we would not be playing for our lives.
the concern remains win or lose we think we have a good list.  simple truth is we dont  its in the mix with many and no where near top 4.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 08:42:36 PM »
the concern remains win or lose we think we have a good list.  simple truth is we dont  its in the mix with many and no where near top 4.
I thought he club has stated that the list still needs major improvements.  Where did you hear the opposite?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

the claw

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 09:08:32 PM »
I thought he club has stated that the list still needs major improvements.  Where did you hear the opposite?
its only been this week theyt have really come out and said this. where were they at the start of the yr. oh thats right they thought they were the real deal. boy how have they had to turn tail eh.
ffs dont lose sight of the spin and hold em accountable.

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 09:10:37 PM »
its only been this week theyt have really come out and said this. where were they at the start of the yr. oh thats right they thought they were the real deal. boy how have they had to turn tail eh.

They have constantly stated the list needs improvement, not just recently.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 07:40:49 AM »
Claw is 100% right, list is one or 2 injuries away from a wooden spoon

What they say and do are 2 different things

I thought the sting of losing an elim final would prompt us to make big list changes, instead we offer the biggest spud of all time a 3 yr deal

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

the claw

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 03:28:57 PM »

They have constantly stated the list needs improvement, not just recently.
and what did they do at the end of last yr. hmm take just 1 18 yr old and openly state we took a shed load of mature recruits for cover in case of injury.
that is hardly the actions of a club who realises it has lots of building to do.
boy some people really dont want to remember.some people defend em no matter how poor they have done.

my money is on they think the first half of the yr was an abberation despite the rhetoric.

next yr the competition will become even more fierce from sides below us they will improve we cant afford to find just one decent new face again we will go back faster than you can say jack robinson and there wont be any late season surges to save face.

i think we need to upgrade on half the list, of course to do that it will take time. a good start would be 6 or 7 from the list proper this yr and 4 or so rookies.
we will see at seasons end when it comes time to make decisions on players where they think we are at and how much building needs to be done. actions speak louder than words and so far we have talked the talk but failed abysmaly to walk the walk.