Author Topic: So was this a Positive or Negative Year?  (Read 2982 times)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: So was this a Positive or Negative Year?
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2014, 09:24:10 PM »
The only way this year can be called a positive IMO is if we trade and draft well.
The year itself to date is a negative for mine.
Never have I felt so dejected with our footy club and we have been pretty ordinary for a long time. My love of footy took a massive hit this year but I got a bit back in the Essendon, Adelaide and Swans game but still have a long way to go before im totally back on board.
I'm just not convinced we have the people at the top to make the hard calls.
I admire Adelaide FC for making a tough call this week on their coach and admire Sydney even more for their bold recruiting over the last couple of years.
Anyway  :gotigers

the claw

« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2014, 12:12:07 AM »
The Tiger army went in force, no other side could match that and they dished that up. FMD

1/ If only that was true CUB. Our best is not good enough yet against the top teams on their day. That's what we saw against Port.

A loss wouldve always equaled a negative, but I could of lived with it if they showed something.

2/ We did show something but it was too late. We fought out the game where we could have easily just let the margin blow out to record heights. That is what we would have done in 2013.

Always accepting mediocrity, Port were a rabble 2 years ago and we just continue with the same old.

3/ No one is accepting mediocrity but if you always just focus on the problems and the negatives you end up with a start to the season like we just had. One of the reason we failed early this year is because the coaches focused on improving our deficiencies rather and neglected spending time honing our strengths. Its always a balancing act moving forward on the tightrope. Can't lean too far either way or fall.

Need to chase hard and spend the money we've stockpiled from the supporters and get rid of pootruck plodders, The rest of this thread covers just about most of those.

4/You can't make whole sale changes without having replacements in hand. If we strip back the list and replacement them all with unproven recruits then we'll go backwards and stay anchored for a decade with GWS and GC rising. To get good replacements you either have to be patient or develop them or spend big and trade for them. To get a player of Miles ability for nothing is as rare as hens teeth. If it was as easy as you say then everyone would be doing it.

1/ agree we are nowhere near the top sides. look at the whole yr with blinkers off and our best is hardly good enough to beat middling sides.

2/ we showed nothing. port took their foot off of our throats after blowing us out of the water.

3/what a load of gobbldygook. our coaches rightly recognised what needed to happen to improve beyond a middling side and our players were not up to the challenge.

4/ of course we can make whole sale changes most of those being touted as delistings hardly contributed a thing to the senior side this yr. you could cut 12 players and lose hardly a thing.
in fact with what a lot have contributed its a must we cut hard hard.

jackson retired we have to replace him regardless played just 10 injury riddled games. king retired played just 3, edwards 3, ohanlon 1, arnot 4, helbig 0, stephenson 1, darrou 0, banfield 0,
thats just the ones already gone. there plenty more you could targeytt who have contributed little not just this yr but for yrs.

finally i chuckle at the hype around the wining run. theres at least 5 of those wins that quite frankly were just deplorable where the standard was just poor and there was no real improvement.we played almost as poorly in a lot of games as we did early in the yr but hey we won em and that makes it all good.

if anyone is happy with what transpired this yr then they are indeed very accepting of mediocrity.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2014, 03:37:57 PM »
Claw, I thought you wanted 7-8 changes to the list?
WTF are you saying.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2014, 06:12:53 PM »

Bringing Miles into the team was a huge positive though people even try and turn this into a negative. Stating that he should have been in earlier is like a kid getting a present but angrily declaring that he should have been given it weeks a go. When you get a gift be bloody thankful because to get a player like Miles from another team would probably cost us a first round draft pick given the immediate impact he has had.

Agree with the basic intent of your post Stripes but conversely we can't improve if we don't look at and acknowledge the mistakes we made (of which there were plenty), and this mistake was a glaringly bad one.  So unless the footy dept take that on board and put processes in place so that it doesn't happen again then all the positive attitude under the sun will be useless and possibly counter- productive to both short and long  term improvement.  It's just as dangerous and bad for the club to ignore the negative as it is to live off the positive.

the claw

« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2014, 07:57:15 PM »
WTF are you saying.
1 f/a
1 trade possibly 2 trades
4 nd picks minimum
5 rookie picks
have said that or very similar all along.

trouble is we likely wont trade , we likely wont take a f/a  and we will  probably only use 3 nd picks. the feeling i get from the club is they still think they have set themselves up for sustained success when nothing could be closer to the truth.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2014, 09:46:41 AM »

Bringing Miles into the team was a huge positive though people even try and turn this into a negative. Stating that he should have been in earlier is like a kid getting a present but angrily declaring that he should have been given it weeks a go. When you get a gift be bloody thankful because to get a player like Miles from another team would probably cost us a first round draft pick given the immediate impact he has had.

Agree with the basic intent of your post Stripes but conversely we can't improve if we don't look at and acknowledge the mistakes we made (of which there were plenty), and this mistake was a glaringly bad one.  So unless the footy dept take that on board and put processes in place so that it doesn't happen again then all the positive attitude under the sun will be useless and possibly counter- productive to both short and long  term improvement.  It's just as dangerous and bad for the club to ignore the negative as it is to live off the positive.

Agreed. Really I'm just trying to petition a balanced perspective. It has seemed very one siding around these parts recently so I've tried to play devils advocate just to bring people back to a more objective perspective. Miles late inclusion was a stuff up but it was an early stuff up. After the official elevations were made we had our hands tied until we could create an opening for him. Early on Thomas and Miles had very similar numbers and output so I can understand why Dimma went with the more consistent and experienced of the two.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2014, 10:00:09 AM »

Miles late inclusion was a stuff up but it was an early stuff up. After the official elevations were made we had our hands tied until we could create an opening for him. Early on Thomas and Miles had very similar numbers and output so I can understand why Dimma went with the more consistent and experienced of the two.

That's the thing with this mistake though, our hands weren't tied, it was just sheer pig-headedness and failure to recognise the bleeding obvious.  Maric was always going to be out for as long as he was and it should have been a no-brainer to put him on the LTIL and promote the Big O into his spot.  That would have left a spot spare for any contingency and in this case it would have been Miles proving to everyone that he could seriously play the game and get elevated much sooner accordingly.  Part of my anger and loss of confidence in the coach and football dept was centred around the way they handled this whole situation.  I have a strong lingering fear born of a number of examples now, that Hardwick is pig-headed and that is not going to bode well if we are to learn from our mistakes and progress upward.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2014, 10:10:52 AM »

Miles late inclusion was a stuff up but it was an early stuff up. After the official elevations were made we had our hands tied until we could create an opening for him. Early on Thomas and Miles had very similar numbers and output so I can understand why Dimma went with the more consistent and experienced of the two.

That's the thing with this mistake though, our hands weren't tied, it was just sheer pig-headedness and failure to recognise the bleeding obvious.  Maric was always going to be out for as long as he was and it should have been a no-brainer to put him on the LTIL and promote the Big O into his spot.  That would have left a spot spare for any contingency and in this case it would have been Miles proving to everyone that he could seriously play the game and get elevated much sooner accordingly.  Part of my anger and loss of confidence in the coach and football dept was centred around the way they handled this whole situation.  I have a strong lingering fear born of a number of examples now, that Hardwick is pig-headed and that is not going to bode well if we are to learn from our mistakes and progress upward.

Maric is our most important player so bringing him back in as soon as possible was obviously Dimmas hope. I do hear you though. I think Dimma found it difficult to believe that Miles was the real deal and even publicly stated that he was surprised at his immediate impact when placed into the team. I believe that he thought it was all VFL form played to make the team which would quickly evaporate once he was played in the AFL. Obviously he was dead wrong.

While I can understand the decision I still didn't agree with it. I was one many calling for his elevation of Thomas at the start of the year too.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2014, 10:12:03 AM »
WTF are you saying.
1 f/a
1 trade possibly 2 trades
4 nd picks minimum
5 rookie picks
have said that or very similar all along.

trouble is we likely wont trade , we likely wont take a f/a  and we will  probably only use 3 nd picks. the feeling i get from the club is they still think they have set themselves up for sustained success when nothing could be closer to the truth.
that's 11? I was sure you mentioned 7 or 8?

Anyway, we currently have 9 de-listed with 5 primary list spots and 4 rookies.
We will see what happens in trade week BUT you would think 4 would be getting picked up in the draft and we do have 4 free spots on the rookie list.
Do we have any more rookie spots?
Seems very close to what you are saying?
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2014, 10:21:45 AM »
3/what a load of gobbldygook. our coaches rightly recognised what needed to happen to improve beyond a middling side and our players were not up to the challenge.

4/ of course we can make whole sale changes most of those being touted as delistings hardly contributed a thing to the senior side this yr. you could cut 12 players and lose hardly a thing.

jackson retired we have to replace him regardless played just 10 injury riddled games. king retired played just 3, edwards 3, ohanlon 1, arnot 4, helbig 0, stephenson 1, darrou 0, banfield 0,
thats just the ones already gone. there plenty more you could targeytt who have contributed little not just this yr but for yrs.

Claw - I don't expect you see that the club needed a more balanced view when seeking to improve. You would have us continually turning over our list every year and wondering why we continue to fail. In saying that every name you mentioned above to leave the club I agree with which is a fair number of delistings. Those changes will bring in plenty of new faces to the club I would suggest.

finally i chuckle at the hype around the wining run. theres at least 5 of those wins that quite frankly were just deplorable where the standard was just poor and there was no real improvement.we played almost as poorly in a lot of games as we did early in the yr but hey we won em and that makes it all good.

if anyone is happy with what transpired this yr then they are indeed very accepting of mediocrity.

Again I disagree with you claw. If you look at the wins in isolation then yes you probably do have some justification to your opinion here but you can never look at games on there own and try and draw a perspective on a teams season. Every club has ordinary games but it is the mark of a good side when they still find a way to win those games. Sydney, Hawks, Feo, Geelong and Port all had a string of games they would rather forget but they still found a way to win.

What I argue is the manner in which we won. We changed our attitudes and accountability towards each other so that losing was no longer acceptable and not fulfiling your role regardless of the score line was not an option. Culture change.

the claw

« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2014, 11:49:23 AM »

Claw - I don't expect you see that the club needed a more balanced view when seeking to improve. You would have us continually turning over our list every year and wondering why we continue to fail. In saying that every name you mentioned above to leave the club I agree with which is a fair number of delistings. Those changes will bring in plenty of new faces to the club I would suggest.

Again I disagree with you claw. If you look at the wins in isolation then yes you probably do have some justification to your opinion here but you can never look at games on there own and try and draw a perspective on a teams season. Every club has ordinary games but it is the mark of a good side when they still find a way to win those games. Sydney, Hawks, Feo, Geelong and Port all had a string of games they would rather forget but they still found a way to win.

What I argue is the manner in which we won. We changed our attitudes and accountability towards each other so that losing was no longer acceptable and not fulfiling your role regardless of the score line was not an option. Culture change.
looking at games in isolation is important.it is the only way to gauge actual improvement. you can win plenty of games each yr just through a favorable draw play badly and still win.
actual winning is a very small part of determining actual improvement. in many of those games we won in a row im sorry to say we didnt change our attitude or accountability we struck struggling sides or out of form sides and scraped over the line in very poor standard games. despite winning there was few positives to be had.
i said at the end of last yr that i thought we played better footy the yr before yet we won more games. we clearly had a massive drop off this yr and that includes games which we won.

Stripes have you actually looked at the number of players most clubs turn over each yr, ffs the two grand finalists in the last 3 yrs have turned over more than half their lists. 24 respectively, yet they have a better deeper core group than us.
Teams lists are a continual work in progress, forever evolving and the numbers are surprising.  There is no place because of so few numbers on  them  to hang onto a multitude of under performing players who have had time..

id expect even if we won a flag  we would still  turn over anywhere from 7 to 9 players as a minimum.  As club with over half a list of non performers and needing to still build in the short term we need to do more.We need to catch the top sides.
Im not going on about always cutting deep. you offend me with that comment. Obviously im saying we need to cut deep until the list is at a stage where we have no need to do this.w
Where we have actually built a decent core and built some decent depth of which we have failed to do either.

Heres a list of players i envision based on attributes,  form, and time in our system that we will turn over in the next 2 yrs not including those we have already cut this yr.
Batchelor, Chaplin, Dea, Elton, Foley, Gordon, Grigg, Hampson, Knights, Lloyd, Newman, Petterd, Thomas, Vickery. there are some i havent mentioned that i personally dont rate and ive not included juniors of which im sure some will fail.
of those mentioned  4 or so will be 30 plus and likely retire anyway. there will be rookies from this yr who will fail as so many do.
it is important that we utilise the nd more than we have in recent yrs. its important that we trade well that we target and take players with f/a that we continually turn over the rookie list.
just doing what is normal entails turning over 8 or so players every yr.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2014, 11:57:10 AM »
Negative for mine. I believethe llisthhasnot been managed well.

CCannot see UA building for a flag but rather wallowing in mediocrity

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2014, 04:17:28 PM »
I'm not trying to offend you claw but I do think you are quick to write a player off and demand for whole-sale changes. We need to ensure we give young players a chance to develop and prove themselves before we off-load them. McBean hasn't played a game in two seasons yet we can all see he has all the potential in the world. There are players that we have given chances too but seem to have stagnated and these are the players I feel we should move on, particularly if they are midfielders/smalls.

I don't mind moving on the likes of Arnot, Helbig, Dea, O'Hanlon and Darrou if they haven't been able to cement a spot in the team as yet but players like McBean, McDonough and co. need more time. A. Edwards should be moved on as should Banfield and The Big O (now that Vickery and Griffiths have shown they can ruck). Jackson and King have retired so that leaves us with 5 senior spots at minimum and four rookie spots. I feel that's a great start.

Gigantor

« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2014, 04:43:31 PM »
just out of interest how much salary cap room would  the retirement of Jackson and  king free up?