Author Topic: Our Stars v Our Supporting Cast  (Read 658 times)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
Our Stars v Our Supporting Cast
« on: September 19, 2014, 11:10:18 AM »
Whilst we were winning in the second half of the season, it was all through playing no pressure, nothing to lose football. I kept having this feeling that we were always punching above our weight. This is why I believe that we still have too few stars or influential players and too many in our supporting cast.

Rance, Miles and Ellis are probably the only ones IMO who have genuinely moved from the supporting cast into the star group this season.

Try this little test.....Put yourself in an opposition supporters shoes and go through our entire list and imagine how you would feel if each individual player was listed as injured on the weekend  your team was playing the Tigers.

If its a "meh..", then they are a supporting cast player. If its a "You Beauty!" Then they are a star or least a very important player in our team.

The only players who would get a "You Beauty!" from me would be the following..
Cotchin
Riewoldt
Ellis
Maric
Miles
Rance
Martin
Deledio

Until this list extends beyond 12, I cannot see how we will experience sustained finals success.

As a benchmark, I did the same test with the Swans and came up with a total list of 14 players whom I would be really pleased to see out if we played them.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: Our Stars v Our Supporting Cast
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 01:50:35 PM »
Nae ellis

Yay Vlastuin

tony_montana

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 02:23:32 PM »
Whilst we were winning in the second half of the season, it was all through playing no pressure, nothing to lose football. I kept having this feeling that we were always punching above our weight. This is why I believe that we still have too few stars or influential players and too many in our supporting cast.

Rance, Miles and Ellis are probably the only ones IMO who have genuinely moved from the supporting cast into the star group this season.

Try this little test.....Put yourself in an opposition supporters shoes and go through our entire list and imagine how you would feel if each individual player was listed as injured on the weekend  your team was playing the Tigers.

If its a "meh..", then they are a supporting cast player. If its a "You Beauty!" Then they are a star or least a very important player in our team.

The only players who would get a "You Beauty!" from me would be the following..
Cotchin
Riewoldt
Ellis
Maric
Miles
Rance
Martin
Deledio

Until this list extends beyond 12, I cannot see how we will experience sustained finals success.

As a benchmark, I did the same test with the Swans and came up with a total list of 14 players whom I would be really pleased to see out if we played them.

good post tiga, do the same for geelong 2007-2010 - get about 16 :o amazing side. Need more young talent to step up into that bracket - say if Astbury, Vickery, Griffiths, Conca, Vlastuin and lennon all stepped into that bracket in the next 20-30 games then we're on our way to sustained finals - if not, not..

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 02:45:38 PM »
16 Tony?? No wonder they were so damn hard to beat. I'd be happy if we can get to at least 11, so if we pickup at least one decent trade and a couple of our supporting cast lift like Rance and Ellis have done this year then we are on our way.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 06:06:42 PM »
Yer good post.
That's why I think it's so important to get FA Chip Frawley  He would take the best backman week in week out. Which means one less nae player.
Also we should really think about Tom Mitchell with our first pick IMO.
Trade in Gartlett from Carlton if we can get him cheap. With the right attitude he can get back to some pretty good footy IMO.
I think Vlastuin will be in that group next year with Lennon not far behind.
So that's 5 more "you beauty" players to your list with a bit of luck. Getting up there!!

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 05:06:19 PM »
Nae ellis

Yay Vlastuin

Don't agree yet Bents.  I hope Floss grows into that player but at present I don't reckon he does enough damage to other sides that they would cheer if he was out.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 03:36:28 PM »
yeah, floss is still in the potential category.

is not having a great impact on games, yet.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 09:44:35 PM »
I reckon floss possessions are worth more than ellis possession s at this stage.
Ellis for his flaws had a good year and has tools
But vlastuin does alot of important things - gas a knack of winning key contests

If I am iincorrect instill would not have Ellis in that category; rance deledio etc

Miles miles ahead imo