Author Topic: Tigers firm on recruiting strategy / Richmond to target draft: Dan Richardson  (Read 5137 times)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
but im not arguing our other lines are close to complete, just that our half back line is far from what is required.

the half back line is nearly as important as the midfield, perhaps as important.

you can play hard but average skilled players in the midfield, but you need class across half back.
In no way shape or form is the HBL as important as the midfield. Hence why the best players play in the midfield.

Wrong.
I
Let's here what you have to say to. What was "wrong"

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
luke hodge?
mitchell at times?
deledios best football?

the best contested ball winners generally play in the middle. sometimes these are the best players, sometimes they are not.

jackson played in the middle. was he one of the best players?
would you play him accross half back?

ditto miles?

tuck? ( who hardwick threw there probably hoping he would fail, which he didnt, but his and many like him, get ball see ball kick ball style of play would is much more effective in the middle)

surely even you wouldnt expect us to believe that these blokes are necessarily better players than hodge, mitchell or many of the players that Daniel listed?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
luke hodge?
mitchell at times?
deledios best football?

the best contested ball winners generally play in the middle. sometimes these are the best players, sometimes they are not.

jackson played in the middle. was he one of the best players?
would you play him accross half back?

ditto miles?

tuck? ( who hardwick threw there probably hoping he would fail, which he didnt, but his and many like him, get ball see ball kick ball style of play would is much more effective in the middle)

surely even you wouldnt expect us to believe that these blokes are necessarily better players than hodge, mitchell or many of the players that Daniel listed?
Are you claiming Mitchell as a HBF? What ratio of his career would he have played there?
Hodge plays as much on the ball as he does across HB.
Lids won his two B&F's in the middle.
Jackson was a tagger, I hope I don't need to explain that to you.
Miles was/is one of our best players, so he played in the middle. Not sure what you meant by naming him.
Serious question, do you think the best players in the AFL play in the middle of the ground? The game starts in the middle mate.  :cheers
Daniel named some very good players but my list of stars was at another level.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
if you think
mitchell at times?
is claiming him to be a half back, then grab it and run with it, if you must.

where did we finish on the ladder when deledio won his B&F playing in the middle?
both hodge and mitchell play accross half back, hodge much more so. the reason being is that their coach recognises the importance off having class accross the half back line, as you have as many forward thrusts start from there, with the added hurdle of having to dissect a rolling zone defence of modern football.

clearly you one of those that puts little importance of having classy players accross half back, so i assume you put little credence in the view that that is the springboard of attack.

i doubt if myself, or anyone else, will ever change that view. i imagine even if an afl coach explained why there has been an evolution of the defensive forward, you would change your view.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
if you think
mitchell at times?

where did we finish on the ladder when deledio won his B&F playing in the middle?
both hodge and mitchell play accross half back, hodge much more so. the reason being is that their coach recognises the importance off having class accross the half back line, as you have as many forward thrusts start from there, with the added hurdle of having to dissect a rolling zone defence of modern football.

clearly you one of those that puts little importance of having classy players accross half back, so i assume you put little credence in the view that that is the springboard of attack.

i doubt if myself, or anyone else, will ever change that view. i imagine even if an afl coach explained why there has been an evolution of the defensive forward, you would change your view.
To answer your first question we finished low down on the ladder when Lids was winning his two B&F's.. Not because Lids was in the middle, it was because we were sh/7 just like your last post.

I didn't say you don't need class across halfback, I believe you do but what we were discussing was if your best players played there or in the middle. And to show even how desperate you are, you try and claim Mitchell as a halfback flanker. He has played there off and on over the last couple of years mostly because last year he was coming back from injury, but anyone that knows even the slightest bit about footy knows that Mitchell has payed 90% of his footy in the middle where the best players play.

Hodge is a very good player but he isn't their best now he is getting on in age.
Anyway it doesn't really matter, I'm happy for you to think what you think. But if you want to keep going with this, name me any two HBF's in the same side and ill name you two better players in their team.

One last question to you, are Houli and Vlastuin our best players? They play across halfback for us?? Maybe Dimma thinks they are both better than Cotch and Dusty??

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Orly

How did hodge go in 2008

the claw

if you think
mitchell at times?

classiest player in the whole comp plays most of his footy down back. shaun burgoyne anyone.

would have thought hawthorns regular defenders for the yr were, birchall a 194cm running player. burgoyne big bodied 186cm superstar. fair dinkum this bloke just does not get the plaudits he should.
lake 195cm 100kg gorilla. seems to do it right when it counts. stratton 189cm 91kg  defender first but reads it well and provides run.sphanger 195 96 kpd.  a battler who has done a job at two clubs now.gibson  189/ 95 cm who plays on both talls and smalls and provides drive.hes been very good, schoenmakers 195/95 kpd  can play, taking time coming back from knee  injury. hodgey 186/89 plays most of his footy down back. great player in most areas  but fair dinkum if i have a knock on him he does turn it over by foot an awful lot.
they arent super quick but they all have size and the shortest player  going thru there is 186cm in hodge and burgoyne.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
hodgey 186/89 fair dinkum if i have a knock on him he does turn it over by foot an awful lot.

:o

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
if you think
mitchell at times?

To answer your first question we finished low down on the ladder when Lids was winning his two B&F's.. Not because Lids was in the middle, it was because we were sh/7 just like your last post.

I didn't say you don't need class across halfback, I believe you do but what we were discussing was if your best players played there or in the middle. And to show even how desperate you are, you try and claim Mitchell as a halfback flanker. He has played there off and on over the last couple of years mostly because last year he was coming back from injury, but anyone that knows even the slightest bit about footy knows that Mitchell has payed 90% of his footy in the middle where the best players play.

Hodge is a very good player but he isn't their best now he is getting on in age.
Anyway it doesn't really matter, I'm happy for you to think what you think. But if you want to keep going with this, name me any two HBF's in the same side and ill name you two better players in their team.

One last question to you, are Houli and Vlastuin our best players? They play across halfback for us?? Maybe Dimma thinks they are both better than Cotch and Dusty??

please explain how you keep thinking the words "at times" is claiming to be his permanent position in regards to mitchell?
like wow, seriously??.

also, i have never said that the best players are played at half back. again, how do you come to that conclusion?

and you seem to missed the point with deledio. we were crap as you say, and he was easiliy the best player in the team. he would have won the B&F no matter where we played him, so its not a sound argument that was his best footy.

By the way, Cotchim has played accross half back,just that no one here ever picked up on it. Personally though, i wouldn't play him there, but thats another discussion.

are you arguing just for the sake of argument, because you seem to be hell bent on dragging the discussion away from the original point of disagreement and arguing against things that were never said, or implied

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
if you think
mitchell at times?

please explain how you keep thinking the words "at times" is claiming to be his permanent position in regards to mitchell?
like wow, seriously??.

also, i have never said that the best players are played at half back. again, how do you come to that conclusion?

and you seem to missed the point with deledio. we were crap as you say, and he was easiliy the best player in the team. he would have won the B&F no matter where we played him, so its not a sound argument that was his best footy.

By the way, Cotchim has played accross half back,just that no one here ever picked up on it. Personally though, i wouldn't play him there, but thats another discussion.

are you arguing just for the sake of argument, because you seem to be hell bent on dragging the discussion away from the original point of disagreement and arguing against things that were never said, or implied
Did you just write "like wow, seriously" Stopped reading after that.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
naturally, you would.

the claw

hodgey 186/89 fair dinkum if i have a knock on him he does turn it over by foot an awful lot.

:o
go watch any game he plays in and come back and tell me how many times he missed a target or just bombed it long.
it aint hard to do judge. lose the preconcieved ideals and just watch.