Author Topic: Melbourne Cup - who are you tipping?  (Read 4082 times)

tony_montana

Re: Melbourne Cup - who are you tipping?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2014, 05:27:48 PM »
The question I would like answered, although it most likely never will be, is how much the extra-weight Admire Rakti was carrying in the Cup (as a result of him winning the Caulfield Cup) played in his death? It would certainly had added more stress on his body over the longer distance of the two miles.

Perhaps - another factor is prior to winning the caulfield cup it hadn't raced for 207days? It then ran 2 big races in 2 weeks. Did running 3200m carrying 58.5kg two weeks after the Caulfield cup distress it to that point? Very sad for the horse

dwaino

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2014, 06:38:02 PM »
And as for exploiting the horses. They are bred thoroughbreds, it's what they are bred to do and they love it. Anyone that thinks the horses don't like racing are kidding themselves.

Sorry, didn't realise you were a horse whisperer and one told you this.

As for whipped and pushed to carry on. GET FAIR DINKUM. As soon as it was obvious the horse was in trouble Purton eased it out.

lmao. We'll that's OK then, just flog the thing unless it looks like it might be having a heart attack or something.

Like I said though, each to their own. But to listen to these dckheads get on the radio and the news to say everything was done in the interest of the horses are the ones kidding themselves. They don't care for the horses, only their pockets. Empathy has no place in a 'sport' where the animals are pushed to their limits only to be sent to the knackery once they're no longer useful. If this is what people are into then fine, just don't pretend to care.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2014, 08:05:23 PM »
Circle of life....if it wasn't for horse racing, millions of dogs would starve....

And millions of kids would go without eating clag
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2014, 09:24:15 PM »

Sorry, didn't realise you were a horse whisperer and one told you this.

lmao. We'll that's OK then, just flog the thing unless it looks like it might be having a heart attack or something.

Firstly - I breed and race greyhounds and have driven pacers. I have some idea on whether the animals enjoy it or not. More than you anyhow. I put up with ignorant morons telling me how cruel a sport greyhound racing is and how unfair it is on the dogs. I've got a retired 6yo on the couch next to me who would love nothing more than to go to the track right now. Admire Rakti was prancing on his toes before the race and seemed fairly happy. And might I add, he ran like a VERY VERY happy horse in the Caulfield Cup.

I'M SORRY, BUT THIS HORSE WHISPERER UNDERSTANDS THAT HORSES/DOGS DON'T PERFORM TO THAT STANDARD IF THEY ARE UNHAPPY OR DON'T ENJOY RACING. ANYONE THAT THINKS THAT HORSE DOESN'T LOVE BEING OUT THERE IS WRONG.

Secondly - Absolute crap. The horse wasn't "flogged". He dropped out quickly and was eased out of the race.

Thirdly - Don't let one of your other anti's hear you call the horse in question "the thing". That's a big no no.

dwaino

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2014, 10:13:46 PM »
I will believe you the day I see a horse in the wild with a midget on its back in a stupid outfit flogging it. Like I said, if that's what you're into then fine,  just don't pretend to be an animal person. We animal persons don't favour any sort of exploitation of them what so ever. Not making any sort of character judgment on you but I think what you do is absolutely disgusting and barbaric. At least these horses are better off dead than just being pushed and tortured as a pay cheque for their owners. May as well just legalise dog fighting too because that is what terriers were bred to do.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 10:35:49 PM by dwaino »

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2014, 10:38:15 PM »
Not making any sort of character judgment on you but I think what you do is absolutely disgusting and barbaric.

I'm so lucky you didn't go ahead and make a character judgment LOL.

Ignorance is bliss.

dwaino

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2014, 10:44:50 PM »
I could have resorted to name calling but I don't know you, but I just don't like or find what you do as acceptable. Nothing to do with ignorance,  I don't agree with any sort of exploitation of animals. Put it this way, I don't even eat them.

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2014, 10:58:58 PM »
I will believe you the day I see a horse in the wild with a midget on its back in a stupid outfit flogging it. Like I said, if that's what you're into then fine,  just don't pretend to be an animal person. We animal persons don't favour any sort of exploitation of them what so ever (with the exception of the Romans throwing christians to lions as entertainment). Not making any sort of character judgment on you but I think what you do is absolutely disgusting and barbaric. At least these horses are better off dead than just being pushed and tortured as a pay cheque for their owners. May as well just legalise dog fighting too because that is what terriers were bred to do.

Horses have been in the top 3 most reliable modes of transport in the history of the human race so it's not hard to see why people enjoy horse racing as a sport. Times have moved on though with transport and Australian racing needs to move on as well. Put the whips away and let them run on their merits. The rules need to change about easing mounts too. How many times have jockeys been fined or suspended for easing off on a favorite when they thought something might have been amiss-or was someone in their pocket?
Gambling of course needs a massive overhaul and needs to be re-regulated again. The privatisation of the TAB has been a disaster for the integrity of the sport.
While they can't speak for themselves, I think Damo has a point that some of the animals enjoy the racing just as some humans think they are born to race.
I have had arms length involvement with trainers of both dogs and trotters in a previous job. It's like any industry, there are good and bad eggs, the bigger corporate organisations are the most brutal, however most trainers that I have met are doing it for a hobby, most of them have day job and have no interest in 'flogging' or 'torturing' their animals in any sort of 'barbaric' manner because winning the Hamilton Cup for $6k isn't going to change their lives, except for bragging rights at the local pub/footy/cricket club.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2014, 10:59:27 PM »
I could have resorted to name calling but I don't know you, but I just don't like or find what you do as acceptable. Nothing to do with ignorance,  I don't agree with any sort of exploitation of animals. Put it this way, I don't even eat them.

Good on you. You have your beliefs and stick to it.

But you did say you weren't going to make a character judgement against me and preceded to do EXACTLY that.

How dare you say what I do is completely disgusting and barbaric.

My dogs live a better life than any pet you have, whether it be a maltese on the couch or german shepherd in the backyard. And if you dispute that, I'll PM you my address. You can come here and give me a face to face apology after seeing the way they are treated.

I've got 4 retired dogs here and 2 pups that have a 3 acre paddock, dams and huge trees. They run and swim and chill out all day. Tipping yours don't get that.

And I'll tell you that my 6yo dog would love nothing more than to go to the races tomorrow. But as a retired pet he obviously doesn't get that option now.

Disgusting and barbaric, how dare you.

Ask the owner and founder of Greyt Companions (they are on facebook) if Damo is disgusting and barbaric. They are one of the prominent re-homers of greyhounds in Victoria.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2014, 01:19:00 AM »
Know someone who had a dog who was a show dog (not entirely the same thing but still used for show) and once he was forced into retirement by the owner he changed and was diagnosed with depression. Was never the same dog again. Have your beliefs about what you think is right and wrong and stick by them, but no one can pretend to know how the animal feels towards what they are doing because just like people some enjoy it and some don't.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2014, 10:33:55 AM »

It's pretty funny people are crying about race horses. Given the treatment of mass produced animals for eating.

The laws Changed recently - its illegal to video footage a chicken farm Lol

http://time2transcend.wordpress.com/2014/07/01/australian-legislators-aim-to-gag-animal-protection-activists/

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/bushtelegraph/the-battle-over-animal-welfare-and-ag-gag-laws/5612314

I wonder why.

Where does chicken come from mummy?
The supermarket darling.

Peter singer (for Monash now hHarvard Ithink) wrote a good book on  this general topic  "practical ethics". Preference utilitarianism is logically pretty hard to disagree with.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 12:42:23 PM by Judge Roughneck »

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2014, 11:00:53 AM »
Humans drop dead from heart attacks every day exercising FMD.
I love animals but what a freakin carry on.