Author Topic: Preseason & Rookie Drafts discussion thread [merged]  (Read 20785 times)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Preseason & Rookie Drafts discussion thread [merged]
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 01:09:50 AM »
Just curious - based on historical data, how many of the competitions premier or even solid B grade KPF's and KPD's have come via the rookie draft? Off the top of my head I cant really think of any.

Roughead, Buddy, Reiwoldtx2, Cameron, Tippett, pavlich, Darling, Carlisle, Sarge, Rance, Talia, Walker etc etc were all highly regarded and taken in the first or 2nd round.

Ruckmen on the other hand - a fair few that come from the rookie list go on to be players. Midfielders the same. Based on that would you almost exclusively draft mids and rucks on your rookie list? Keep your top picks for the blue chip tall talent or trade for one you can build a line around

Walker was pick 75

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 04:08:59 AM »
yep we have more rookie picks than nd picks, does anyone have a player or players in mind or even type of player.

i actually have a few in mind and im sure the list will grow when kids i like dont get drafted.
can think of three ruckmen  would look at one possibly two. can think of a few x factor types and theres one or two state leaguers id like us to look at.

okay ill start two ruckmen in wa i like.
darcy cameron a kid i wanted us to take last yr.imo is tracking along nicely and could go in the nd  with a late pick.
then thers a bloke at south freo 203/101 cameron loersch just see some good signs in this bloke.
Apparently some AFL clubs are looking at U19 Aussie cricket captain Paddy McKenna as a rookie. 186cm half forward who kicked 16 in a game for Gisborne U18s then 45 goals in 18 games in seniors.

tony_montana

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2014, 05:11:13 PM »
Just curious - based on historical data, how many of the competitions premier or even solid B grade KPF's and KPD's have come via the rookie draft? Off the top of my head I cant really think of any.

Roughead, Buddy, Reiwoldtx2, Cameron, Tippett, pavlich, Darling, Carlisle, Sarge, Rance, Talia, Walker etc etc were all highly regarded and taken in the first or 2nd round.

Ruckmen on the other hand - a fair few that come from the rookie list go on to be players. Midfielders the same. Based on that would you almost exclusively draft mids and rucks on your rookie list? Keep your top picks for the blue chip tall talent or trade for one you can build a line around

Walker was pick 75

my bad re walker

Well Adelaide managed to find themselves two very good KPD's via the rookie list in Rutten -  though he was only 190cm and Bock at 193 cm became a good CHB after both initailly being rookied as a forwards, but yes apart from those two that I can immediately think of, you have a point Scarface.......there's been couple of good non- KP defenders as well though like Patfull (who can also play as a key) & Gibson, but again - yes - no real giant KPD's it has to be said.

We still need to somehow shore up our tall defensive stocks IMO, taking into account the aging Chaplin, the uncertainty with Astbury (even Grimes for that matter, considering his own personal and family injury history), the fact clubs are circling Rance and even the delisting of Darrou and it starts to look decidedly thin.

Yeah interesting isn't it? a few have come through but looks like slim pickings - don't know what it is with Adelaide but they have a good eye for tall timber.

agree we need to shore up our KP stocks, if a quality one slips in the draft and he's avail at our first pick I hope we take him!

the claw

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2014, 09:53:31 PM »
Agree with Claw on Darcy Cameron, would also like Shane Nelson and a big young KPD to work with. Those three at least. Others - depends on what's left and what list numbers we go with.
mathew sully i have always liked think as a kpd he would be worth rookieing. think hes better than hartigan another i would have liked to see us rookie.

lost contact with him but cameron conlon was one i was hoping could overcome injury and perform well enough to at least get rookied. these guys dont lose their ability they get injured and cant play the ability invariable shines through if they get a good run at it.

i can think of two lads who may not get drafted, ryan  lim and jermaine miller - lewis.
i really liked isiah miller last yr but have lost contact on what hes done this yr. i also liked ryan lester - smith  hes still only what? 21 and would galdly give him a rookie spot.

yep there are plenty out there imo who are worth giving a go to.and they are all types who meet a need. they may not make it but that is what the rookie draft is about. get em in and see if you cant iron out the weaknesses. nothing ventured nothing gained.

the claw

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2014, 10:08:00 PM »

Walker was pick 75
  he was a scholarship player and the crows didnt have to take him early if i have it right.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2014, 12:47:28 AM »

Walker was pick 75
  he was a scholarship player and the crows didnt have to take him early if i have it right.

He was a NSW scholarship player which confused me as to whether Adelaide got dibs on him or not? Even ignoring Walker TM's list does show where the real talent is

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2014, 04:58:07 PM »
Just a question on Ivan Soldo - do we have to rookie list him or just write his name down somewhere?  If we have to rookie list then there goes one pick ...
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2014, 05:10:33 PM »
Just a question on Ivan Soldo - do we have to rookie list him or just write his name down somewhere?  If we have to rookie list then there goes one pick ...

Think he's seperate from the list & and exempt from the salary cap just like an international rookie because he's from a non-AFL background...
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2014, 01:11:03 PM »
Wouldn't mind getting Sam Grimley. Like Arnot with us, Hawthorn are commited to re-drafting him as a rookie but don't think he's still contracted like Arnot is.

- Gustav Mahler

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2014, 03:05:20 PM »
Aside from Wright and maybe one or two others (Marc Pittonet & Tom Read), most of the young rucks are expected to be still available in the rookie draft.

Billy Frampton, Josh Miller, Braydon Preuss and Peter Spurling are other rucks who may come under consideration late or as rookies. North Ballarat's Rowan Marshall is also in that group, although most clubs view the 198cm player as a key position prospect at the next level.

Of the mature-age options, 21-year-old Paul Hunter has attracted interest from several AFL clubs after a strong season for Redland in the NEAFL.

South Australian Sam Baulderstone – who shed close to 40kg and became a premiership player with Norwood – has also caught the eye of recruiters and looks a possible rookie pick.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-12/big-men-little-chance

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2014, 01:47:31 PM »
We have picks 11, 29, 47, 65 & 83 in the rookie draft.

Snoop Dog on BF has done a phantom rookie draft. Here's what he has for our picks ...

#11 Richmond - Bradley Walsh
Club: Peel Thunder
Height: 180cm
Weight: 79kg
Position: Midfielder
Bio: Sam Mitchell clone…..Prolific ball winner who excels around the contest and makes very good decisions and can also direct play from HB. Sounds like Sam? The major issue will be his pace and ability to get on the spread. I like him though seems a natural footballer who is going to have no trouble elevating his game to another level.

#29 Richmond - Nick Mellington
Club: Murray Bushrangers
Height: 187cm
Weight: 88kg
Position: Midfielder
Bio: had a terrific yea as captain of the Bushrangers and was probably their best all year. Was called up to the VFL for Richmond and handled himself well. He is a powerful mid who is a great size and loves to mix it up and win the footy and then switch onto that left foot and push it forward. One thing I like about mids is when they get it and then rather than dish off look to separate from the contest, create space and then go forward. He does that.

#47 Richmond - Ricky Cary
Club: Swan Districts
Height: 196cm
Weight: 88kg
Position: Tall Fwd
Bio: Think Jack Gunston. Tall, skinny, doesn’t look like he could stand up in a contest but so often does. Been a real highlight this year for Swans and kicked some big bags. Plays a tall 3rd fwd type role and just reads the game well and gets to good spots. He is quick and will get separation and is stronger than you think. Has a sense of where the goals are and doesn’t need many touches to hurt.

#65 Richmond - Taylor Grace
Club: Sandringham Dragon
Height: 184cm
Weight: 78kg
Position: Midfielder / HBF
Bio: 19yo who won the B&F last year but failed to get drafted which was somewhat surprising. Bit one paced which would be the only area of concern for him but is becoming a real play maker for the Dragons and is a huge accumulator of the ball with one of the most impressive set of averages in the TAC this year. His ball use by hand or foot is very good.

#83 Richmond - Jake Johansen
Club: Port Adelaide
Height: 171cm
Weight: 63kg
Position: Small midfielder / fwd
Bio: Terrific player for SA at champs and was a bit over shadowed by Daniel. Like Daniel is small but very effective and is an elite runner who will get on transition pretty easily. I think he will end up as a small forward and having seen him play there as well he has huge potential. He has a lot of x factor, reads the game well, knows where to be at spillages and gets goal side regularly. If he can bulk up and get stronger you are looking at a Brent Harvey sort of player.

Full mock rookie draft: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/snoop-dog-2014-phantom-draft.1081690/

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2014, 06:42:38 PM »
Hope he's off the mark  - seem like good choices but we we really need to rookie another ruck at and a decent sized defender would be nice too. Either way, we won't be taking 5 new rookies as Arnot & Thomas will take up 2 spots.

In other news, heard we're seriously considering picking up Saad....don't know whether it's through the rookie draft or national draft/PSD though.

- Gustav Mahler

the claw

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2014, 07:52:12 PM »
Hope he's off the mark  - seem like good choices but we we really need to rookie another ruck at and a decent sized defender would be nice too. Either way, we won't be taking 5 new rookies as Arnot & Thomas will take up 2 spots.

In other news, heard we're seriously considering picking up Saad....don't know whether it's through the rookie draft or national draft/PSD though.
by my reckoning its now down to 4 picks  if you include arnot as a rookie.  arnot was cut basically so we could use pick 70,
4 nd picks  will give us 38,  thomas arnot plus 4 rookie picks gives us the 44.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2014, 07:07:13 PM »

Just to clarify -  Adam Saad from Coburg, not Ahmed Saad.

- Gustav Mahler

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2014, 09:23:07 PM »
Dmac rookie  ;D