Author Topic: Brendon Gale on SEN 2/9/21  (Read 1145 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Brendon Gale on SEN 2/9/21
« on: September 02, 2021, 03:27:35 PM »
Just after 4pm today for @brendongale25 on SEN1116.

https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1433299501251317764
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 04:45:03 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Brendon Gale on SEN 2/9/21 [just after 4pm]
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 04:07:12 PM »
Benny on now.

Being asked first about vaccines and how the Club can encourage its supporters to get vaccinated. Also asked if the AFL is doing enough on that front.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Brendon Gale on SEN 2/9/21
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 04:31:43 PM »
Summary

* Q. Re: Vaccines ... What about those supporters that don't want their Club telling them what to do?
  Benny: 'It's not always about being liked. At times you need to lead.'  People have lost faith in politics, religious institutions, banks, etc. People still have faith in sport and their sporting club.

* Q. What went wrong in 2021?
   I'd rather talk about covid! :snidegrin ....
   Our Club and players are tired. A bunch of reasons why we didn't perform. Other teams were better than us. Cumulative effect of being up year on year and then less offseason time to recuperate. Combine that with less ability to develop younger players. We held on this year for as long as we could but in the end we weren't good enough. Frustrated to watch on as the finals are going on. We'll recuperate and go again next year.

All up 11 other teams were better than us this year on the ladder. We need to get better next year and that's the challenge ahead of us.

* Q. Is there a chance Cotchin will retire and not play in 2022?
   Cotch will go on next year. His preparation was interrupted during the season due to injury. Took time to get that continuity again. His last 4 games were pretty good but admittedly before that he was down on his usual output.

* Q. Was there any chance of Neil Balme ending up at Adelaide?
   There was no chance of Balmey going to Adelaide. Benny said he was mowing the lawns on a Saturday morning when his phone blew up. Hartley and Livingstone are taking on more responsibilities but Balmey is still very important to us as that happens. Balmey's heart is Richmond and he knows we've still got a lot to do. 

* Q. Kingsley being poached to become a senior coach at another club?
   Adam is an outstanding (assistant) coach at our club. Extremely experienced like McRae. Highly valued at our organisation. We encourage our coaches to grow. We wouldn't stand in his way if another club wanted him as senior coach but he'd be missed.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 04:46:21 PM »
Here's the audio of Benny Gale's interview:

Listen here: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=898539

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 07:19:55 PM »
BALME WAS NEVER LEAVING RICHMOND DESPITE ADELAIDE APPROACH

By Alex Zaia
SEN
2 Sept 2021

Neil Balme was never leaving Richmond despite an approach from Adelaide to head up their football department, according to Tigers CEO Brendon Gale.

Balme, who has overseen three premierships since returning to Punt Road in 2016, remains committed to his role as Richmond’s Senior Club Advisor.

“I appreciate (the) Adelaide Football Club reaching out for a conversation, but Richmond is where my heart is and I look forward to continuing to help strengthen the club into the future,” Balme said in a statement

Gale was bemused by reports suggestion Balme was on his way to the Crows and stressed the importance of retaining the veteran football boss for 2022.

“I’m not quite sure what happened to be honest,” the Tigers chief told SEN’s Bob and Andy.

“I was mowing my lawns on a Saturday morning, came in for a drink and my phone had blown up.

“Blair Hartley (GM of Football Talent) and Tim Livingstone (GM of Foootball Performance) head our football department in terms of the management and leadership.

“But Neil’s got a very, very important role and he’s stepped aside in the last couple of years to help enable their growth. His wisdom, judgement and presence is very, very important to us still.

“I think he was approached by Adelaide to be fair. He’s a terrific fella and took the call, they had a yak and things got away from there. I think that’s the only way I can put it.

“He’s contracted. He’s at Richmond because he wants to be at Richmond and because his heart is at Richmond and because we’ve still got work to do.

“These things get a life of their own at this time of year.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/09/02/balme-was-never-leaving-richmond-despite-adelaide-approach/