Author Topic: A lost generation - Why do we nearly always fail after our 1st draft selection?  (Read 6788 times)

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
Rance wasn't really a second rounder?

Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Dougeytherichmondfan

He was an end of first round Priority pick. Interpret that how you will. What's really going to bake your noddle is we traded our next pick; 19, to the dogs for Jordan McMahon. Guess who they took?? #GWSskipper

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
Word is we would've taken Scott Selwood at pick 19, not Callum Ward.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Would it be fair to say, that whilst JO-N was a complete debacle the Tiges learnt their lesson with regards to player development and acclimatizing; which is to say that D.Martin may not have been looked after the way he has been if not for the earlier failings with J-ON?

Sorry but I have to ask with regard to JON what are you talking about re "acclimatizing"?

there was no I repeat no issue regaridng him settling into Melb, none at all so I am not sure what you are talking about or alluding too?

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Word is we would've taken Scott Selwood at pick 19, not Callum Ward.

You are 100% correct
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Dougeytherichmondfan

Would it be fair to say, that whilst JO-N was a complete debacle the Tiges learnt their lesson with regards to player development and acclimatizing; which is to say that D.Martin may not have been looked after the way he has been if not for the earlier failings with J-ON?

Sorry but I have to ask with regard to JON what are you talking about re "acclimatizing"?

there was no I repeat no issue regaridng him settling into Melb, none at all so I am not sure what you are talking about or alluding too?

Okay, well I asked the question and you comprehensively answered. Was it unreasonable to query that a Western Australian whom had talent worthy of his high draft pick but never made it in Victoria might have struggled with a lifestyle acclimatization to AFL football? And that maybe the development team have grown since then and given greater credence in acknowledging this as a barrier that needs to be addressed when drafting footballers - hence why they took such care of Martin off field?