Author Topic: Thomson Dow [merged]  (Read 58142 times)

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Thomson Dow [merged]
« Reply #435 on: July 21, 2024, 03:32:24 PM »
Has to go at seasons end.
Tanking na not imo. The list as far as mids goes is diabolical, there is no other options if playing actual mids is the go.
Who else was there to pick.

And people want to see the back of Prestia.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #436 on: July 21, 2024, 04:23:52 PM »
So you think Prestia still has another a full injury free season of quality football in him -which would be the first time since 2019 and only the second time since he's been at Richmond? :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #437 on: July 21, 2024, 06:13:07 PM »
So you think Prestia still has another a full injury free season of quality football in him -which would be the first time since 2019 and only the second time since he's been at Richmond? :shh

Can't believe I'm going into nature for Claw here but I think all he is saying is that right now Prestia is a better midfield option than Dow.

And I totally agree. We get more out of the Prestia cameos in 2024 than we have from the 15 odd Dow games
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #438 on: July 21, 2024, 06:23:37 PM »
Wasn't comparing him to Dow - I'd play Prestia on crutches before Dow but I don't think either of them are needed next year or should be on the list - it's not an either/or for me...confident the kids we'll draft will be an upgrade on Dow almost immediately -if one of them is Smith, well he showed that just yesterday, as will Kmac2 after another pre-season under his belt , if he isn't already and if we want a cheap mature body with a bit of experience to protect them then just rookie Garner... even getting 15 games out of Prestia is extremely optimistic...let alone 15 of anything even approaching his best... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #439 on: July 21, 2024, 06:35:54 PM »

Only a fool would think he or any other mid that is combative  for that matter will go all year without injuries.
How's Hopper going or Dusty for that matter over the last 3 or 4 seasons. even Taranto has been up and down over his career.

He played 19 games in 2022, 20 in 2023. Had a horror run in 2021 and 2020 with 9 games both seasons but played every game in 2019.
13 in 2018 and 22 in 2017.
Up to this year which will knock the average around a bit he has averaged 16.7 games a year for us.

I reckon 15 or 16 games would be a good return. He may not be the player he was but he is still playing decent footy. Id take 15 games from Dion over most we have playing there.

What you want to hang onto Dow or Graham, Baker has left the building McAuliffe is still miles of it and Ross is not and has not played inside apart from maybe yr 1.

You want to just throw a pile of first year mids in from this years draft unbelievable.

Another year of Prestia is not going to hurt us it will help. Who else is there or more to the point who will even be there.

Heres our list of inside mids and mids who can play inside and out.

Martin - talk about players who are a shadow of themselves most are happy to keep Martin but want Prestia gone.
High probability Dusty wont be there next year and based on this year he shouldn't be. Hard to label him a mid nowdays Spends more time as a fwd i reckon. He has not played every game since 2017. :shh

Bolton -  boy some here are keen to see the back of him as well. There are rumours about him going as well. He spends more time as a forward anyway. He is our best small forward as well.

Graham -  He may not be there next year. Would pick Prestia over him every week.

Baker - not the best of mids anyway but smart money is on him leaving. As a mid id still take Prestia when fit.

Dow - well most agree he has to go.

McAuliffe - A 19 yr old baby with lots of development needed.

Taranto - By some margin our best mid atm.

Hopper - Like Prestia is a very good player when fit. Like Prestia has fitness concerns. Maybe we should get rid of him as well or even better get rid of the lot and just start again sheesh.

Sonsie - well i think he is a bust next year will tell us.

So Martin Baker and Graham could all be at other clubs or retired. Dow a bust it doesn't leave a whole heap of ready to go mids.

While on the theme of mids would  give an injury prone Prestia  another season over McIntosh and Pickett both 30 plus year olds.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #440 on: July 21, 2024, 07:17:10 PM »
I really think you are forced to keep the McKintoshes, Prestias and who ever of the old crowd will still play on as the kids are pretty ordinary so far and we will have 5 new kids drafted and who knows what rookies next year. So when the oldies retire this new lot have 50 games and aren't being caned each week.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #441 on: July 21, 2024, 07:45:45 PM »
Okay running players who could play wing hb or high hf instead of 33yo Pickett and  31yo flapper fumbles McIntosh. Who are both bloody ordinary and had very poor recent seasons.

Ross 24. wing/ hb.
HRS 23 - Wing/ hb /hf.
Short 29  Wing/ hb. Would delist the muppet myself.
D Rioli 27 Wing/hb/hf
Clarke 21 Wing/ hf
Brown 21 Wing h/f h/b
Trezise 22 Wing h/b
Banks 22 Wing h/b
Campbell 20 Mid h/f Wing.
Smith 20 Wing h/b.

Thats 10 players aged 29 thru to 20 who could easily play the wing roles if played there. HRS  has probably done enough to get first dibs at the role next year. These two are the epitomy of two aging vets playing poorly for too long taking games away from younger players.

Prestia is different in the sense he is not taking games off anyone we dont have any kids  outside of McAuliffe who is miles away. He  will be needed because we just don't have the numbers.

Three or four mids drafted this year and his experience will be invaluable.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #442 on: July 21, 2024, 07:47:11 PM »
Play Prestia as a sub
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.