Author Topic: Jason Castagna [merged]  (Read 151355 times)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Jason Castagna [merged]
« Reply #255 on: August 01, 2017, 07:55:36 PM »
He certainly wasn't too popular with the faithful at halftime .

Quite reasonably too

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #256 on: August 01, 2017, 08:47:22 PM »
He certainly wasn't too popular with the faithful at halftime .

Quite reasonably too

Only deserves half the award

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #257 on: August 01, 2017, 09:11:54 PM »
Quite impressive to go from having your effigy set on fire by pmac21 at halftime to earning rising star nomination by stumps.
Unleash the tornado

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #258 on: August 01, 2017, 09:30:21 PM »
If we settle for glass half fulls we will never win a flag.
ATM he gives much more than the other smalls and his intensity suits us for now. But fmd you do seriously have to ask how far can you go with yes another glass half full. I actually think the very fact he has been better than all of the other small fwds shows just how far of the pace the others have been.

Agree or not one thing that should be clear to everyone is the very fact in moving fwd we do not need so many sml fwds, so i ask myself who do we want to keep and who has the most upside.Who could fetch a decent return at trade.
Ask yourselves who out of  the following longer term is most expendable  Castagna, Butler, Edwards, Stengle, Rioli, Lloyd, Bolton, Me id happily delist Lloyd i dont think anyone else would offer anything for him , and trade Castagna and Edwards.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #259 on: August 01, 2017, 10:13:54 PM »
Can't keep him on the rookie list forever either. So he's going to have to move to the main list...

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #260 on: August 02, 2017, 06:37:19 AM »
Takes Yarran's place on the main list as he is still on it...  :rollin
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #261 on: August 02, 2017, 10:08:15 PM »
Takes Yarran's place on the main list as he is still on it...  :rollin

:banghead :banghead Don't remind us
I guess you still have to question, is he main list worthy?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #262 on: August 03, 2017, 03:59:00 AM »
My mate Jason - AFL Players

By Dan Butler
AFL Players Association
2 August 2017

Let me tell you a couple of things about my friend and housemate Jason Castagna.

Firstly, since he was named as the Round 19 Rising Star nominee he has been putting up photos of himself around the house.

And secondly, he’s not the worst cook in the world but the first time he tried to make spaghetti bolognese, he ended up producing a pasta soup — it tasted okay.

I’ve been a bit harsh on him so far (and may have lied about the first point) but he thoroughly deserves the rising star nod and was unlucky to miss out a few times beforehand — he’s had a great year.

I first met Jason when he arrived a few days after me at a pre-season training camp in Cairns at the end of 2014.

We didn’t really think much of each other to begin with and it was only after the first few weeks that we started to bond a bit more.

We spent a bit of time in rehab together early days, which helped us form a close friendship but mostly our love for table tennis that laid the foundation.

Jason lived at home for the first two years while I stayed with my uncle and aunty for our initial years at the Tigers.

Upon deciding to move out together at the end of last year, we knew there needed to be space to play table tennis — so much so that we only looked at houses that could fit the table inside.

Everyone is probably aware of the story already but after playing a fair bit, we decided to form a little competition between Jason and myself.

The crux of it was the winner would be the first person to win 150 games and after considering a form of punishment for the loser, which was originally something small like a portion of a month’s rent but that wasn’t enough, Nick Vlastuin came up with the idea of a tattoo.

I went into the tournament thinking Jason was the favourite and I’d say overall he’s probably slightly better but 150 games of any sport could see one of us improve more than the other.

Some nights we would play one or two games and others we would play 15 depending on our moods.

We slowly built it over a few months and there were some big lead changes along the way. Sometimes one of us would be up by 10 or 15 and it would eventually be clawed back.

Towards the end we had a big day at our house and all the boys came around to watch the final few games. There was probably around 70 or 80 people in our shed at the time cheering us on so it was full on.

I was ahead by about four or five games when we went into the last night and I ended up leading 149 to 144 towards the end. I was pretty confident heading into the last game but it was actually pretty nerve-racking given all the people who were around.

Jason tried to hit a cross-court forehand during match point and it went straight into the net, it was a pretty good feeling but I think everyone there wanted Jason to win because he was the underdog at the time.

Surely enough, he was branded for life — which can be seen on Instagram.

Since then, we haven’t played much. I guess we burnt out when it came to table tennis.

We’ve moved onto FIFA now, but I doubt there’ll be a competition with similar stakes because Jason isn’t that good — I’m leading by about 30 games at the moment.

Luckily for Jason, he goes a bit better on the footy field.

We honestly couldn’t have imagined being in this position at the start of the year.

We went into the pre-season thinking we were fighting for the same small forward role in the senior side. We spoke about it to begin with and it was strange to hope someone does well while simultaneously realising it may be at the detriment of your opportunities in the side.

We didn’t talk much about it as the pre-season continued but we wouldn’t do extras on our own that often because the other person would have to be doing it, too.

Luckily for both of us, we were able to fit into the same team which has been fantastic and we’ve both been able to contribute somewhat throughout the season.

We tend to limit our competitiveness with each other for outside activities like table tennis, FIFA or basketball and don’t mention who’s kicked more goals or laid more tackles.

I’ve probably torn enough shreds off him now, but all jokes aside he’s a ripping guy and one of my best mates. I couldn’t be happier knowing he’s getting rewarded for his hard work.

http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/butler-my-mate-jason/#.WYG4sE1afpY.twitter

tony_montana

« Reply #263 on: August 03, 2017, 09:38:16 AM »
Good on him, plenty to work with and has cemented himself as best 22.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #264 on: August 03, 2017, 10:08:54 AM »
Well done

Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #265 on: August 07, 2017, 08:10:39 AM »
I thought he was terrible yesterday.  Maybe it went to his head.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #266 on: August 07, 2017, 09:00:51 AM »

You never know which Amigo will fire up .

Bulter was ordinary against GC .....was very good yesterday.
Unleash the tornado

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #267 on: August 07, 2017, 09:42:11 AM »

You never know which Amigo will fire up .

Bulter was ordinary against GC .....was very good yesterday.
That's right. Rioli led the way with his pressure yesterday was outstanding.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #268 on: August 07, 2017, 12:57:12 PM »
Never seen a player with such an innate ability to undo good work....both his own and that of others...
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #269 on: August 07, 2017, 03:45:39 PM »
Never seen a player with such an innate ability to undo good work....both his own and that of others...

I dunno. Houli is pretty darn solid in this area. Georgie just does it more creatively.

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018