Author Topic: Kane Lambert retires [merged]  (Read 157845 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Kane Lambert [merged]
« Reply #390 on: October 12, 2017, 02:51:21 PM »
Did he WP? Didn't read Chocco's name mentioned once.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/read-dustin-martins-acceptance-speech-after-winning-2017-brownlow-medal/news-story/d71fbd3c1233dce67607774cc6dc8db2

Yes he did

I take it you didn't watch his presser after the medal count?

Not the one stage interview with Bruce that the HUN is using quotes from in the article your link goes but the actual full presser afterwards?

Ch7 showed it at the end of the coverage

he mentioned Choco in that and on the footy show
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #391 on: October 13, 2017, 10:22:56 AM »
Did he WP? Didn't read Chocco's name mentioned once.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/read-dustin-martins-acceptance-speech-after-winning-2017-brownlow-medal/news-story/d71fbd3c1233dce67607774cc6dc8db2

Yes he did

I take it you didn't watch his presser after the medal count?

Not the one stage interview with Bruce that the HUN is using quotes from in the article your link goes but the actual full presser afterwards?

Ch7 showed it at the end of the coverage

he mentioned Choco in that and on the footy show
I think your splitting hairs now WP and again no proof.  ::)
Ok maybe Dusty mentioned him one time in a series of pointed questions when asked specifically but when most blokes have been interviewed there's been no mention of Chocco in terms of their response in regards to influences in their rise to glory. 
But If you listen to Chocco and the way he's going on he's telling us the players improved solely because of his genius development techniques.
I'd ask if that's so
1) why did the club get rid of him?
2) why aren't the improved players mentioning him when asked about their improvement?
The club that keeps giving.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #392 on: October 13, 2017, 01:16:32 PM »
What you mean no proof and splitting hairs

At a presser on national TV after he won the Brownlow he mentioned, spoke highly of Choco and his influence

Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

And maybe the other players don't mention him because they weren't his pet project like Dusty was  ;D  ;)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #393 on: October 13, 2017, 01:20:25 PM »

Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

If a tree falls over in the forest does it make a sound?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #394 on: November 06, 2017, 06:31:35 PM »
Pagan baffled by Tiger's long wait to get drafted

afl.com.au
6 November 2017

DUAL North Melbourne premiership coach Denis Pagan has spoken of his exasperation at watching Richmond premiership midfielder Kane Lambert repeatedly ignored by AFL clubs.

Pagan, who also coached Carlton, elected to end his 25-year coaching career in 2009 with a year at the helm of TAC Cup side Northern Knights, where he met then-17-year-old Lambert.

Sam Grimley and Dylan Grimes – a Tiger teammate of Lambert's – went on to be drafted at the end of that season, while another Richmond star, Josh Caddy, joined the big league a year later.

But Lambert, 25, had to wait until the 46th pick in the 2014 rookie draft, after winning the Fothergill-Round Medal a season earlier as the VFL's most promising young player.

The former Northern Blues and Williamstown onballer's first two years at AFL level were solid rather than outstanding, but he became one of the Tigers' most valuable players this year.

Lambert averaged 21.5 disposals (7.9 contested), 6.7 score involvements, 4.6 tackles and 4.1 inside 50s in finishing third in Richmond's 2017 best and fairest behind Dustin Martin and Alex Rance.

"I'm just so glad it's all worked out for Kane now. He's a quality kid and he's so popular at Richmond," Pagan told SEN.

"I just think to finish third in the best and fairest, in front of Trent Cotchin – they must rate him highly.

"I was probably lucky, because I was with him every day for 12 months virtually at training and on match days and just saw him in a whole host of scenarios."

Pagan went to the lengths, without success, of contacting clubs himself to urge them to take a punt on Lambert, who sat out of football in 2010 partly in frustration at being overlooked.

"He just won me from day one," Pagan said of Lambert.

"I thought he was a right-footed Anthony Stevens and I couldn't understand why he wasn’t given an opportunity.

"I think he went through six drafts (before) he got his chance and I was so pleased that he had a great year, and finished third in the best and fairest in a premiership for the Tigers.

"It was great to talk to him just the other day and reflect where he came from."

Lambert's breakout campaign earned him a new two-year contract to remain at Punt Rd until the end of 2019 season.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-11-06/pagan-baffled-by-tigers-long-wait-to-get-drafted

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #395 on: November 07, 2017, 10:42:25 AM »
Great year, good bloke, deserves all the praise flowing his way.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #396 on: March 02, 2018, 12:08:15 AM »
Premiership hero Lambert breaks into Richmond's 'big four'

Ronny Lerner
The Age
March 2, 2018

Lambert, who had stints at the Northern Bullants/Blues and Williamstown in the VFL before being drafted, was only keeping tabs on the 2015 rookie draft on the AFL website to see if any of his Williamstown teammates were going to get picked up.

So low were his own expectations of getting selected that he let a phone call from an unknown number just prior to the rookie draft go through to his voicemail. It turned out to be Richmond list manager Blair Hartley.

Initially, he thought he was the victim of a cruel practical joke but, as it turned out, after 1096 picks and at the ripe old age of 23, Lambert became an AFL player. Three years later he would have a dream season to play an integral part in the Tigers’ drought-breaking flag.

“It was a shock because that year I’d had no contact with any AFL club, we had no interest,” Lambert told Fairfax Media.

“It was mainly shock and probably a lit bit of fear as well because I probably hadn’t prepared my life. I was a 23-year-old working full-time and I was pretty steady in what I was doing and all of a sudden I’ve got to quit my job and start a new journey.

“It was a lot of emotions, it took me a little time to settle in, but looking back now I was elated deep down.

“It’s been a different journey, a long one, a tough one, but it’s ingrained some strong values into me and built resilience and humility and authenticity as well.”

While Lambert never lost hope that he would one day play in the AFL, he felt that he was ignored so many times by recruiters because he didn’t fit the athletic profile they were looking for.

“They probably found I was a bit plain, you could find players like me wherever they liked,” said Lambert, who is listed as 178 centimetres and 77 kilograms.

“You’d have to have some real special attribute as my size to get an opportunity and I don’t think they thought I had an X-factor and I got told by a recruiter that I was just going to be a role player, I’m not going to be a match winner.

“Looking back now that’s all the Richmond Football Club wanted – a role player. I think times have changed a little bit but I always felt if I knocked on the door long enough it would open and if it didn’t open I’d have to knock it down so eventually that’s what happened.”

As effective role player as Lambert was last year, he also proved the aforementioned recruiter wrong in emphatic fashion by ending up one of Richmond’s match-winners on grand final day as he produced one of the best performances of his career when it mattered most.

“To perform on the big stage, it sits well,” he said. “It’s exciting and it gives me confidence that I can play at the highest level on the biggest day, so moving forward hopefully I reap the benefits of that.”

Lambert ranked second for tackles, fourth for inside 50s, fifth for disposals, fifth for contested possessions and sixth for clearances at Richmond last year.

Those impressive numbers took him ahead of the likes of Cotchin, Shaun Grigg, Riewoldt, Bachar Houli, Dion Prestia, Daniel Rioli, Shane Edwards and Toby Nankervis in the club’s best-and-fairest, but being put on such a grand pedestal doesn’t sit comfortably with the humble 26-year-old.

“It probably doesn’t sit too well really because how I perceive myself and the journey I’ve come from,” he said.

“I’ve probably battled within myself a little bit to feel as though I’m worthy at AFL level and that’s a continual battle for me and a hurdle I need to get over.”

However, Lambert knows how easily his premiership fairytale could have remained confined to his dreams.

With his career at the crossroads at the end of the 2016 season, he credited new assistant coach Blake Caracella with providing him with the necessary self-belief to help him reach the dizzying heights of last year.

“[I was wondering] where do I fit in, and am I going to be able to have an impact and when Blake came in, he came in with a completely fresh mind and no prior opinions,” Lambert said.

“It was his belief in me that probably gave me some belief in myself as well that if this guy mentors me through I could have an impact ... he articulates the game so well and I learn really well off him, he reads game well and just the way he taught me off-ball tactics.

“At the end of the 2016 season I quite easily could’ve been delisted and who knows what would’ve happened so I’m fortunate to end up as a premiership player and I’m excited by what’s ahead too.”

Lambert and his teammates can now look forward to the unfurling of the premiership flag in round one against old foes Carlton in front of an expected crowd of 90,000.

“It’ll be a good moment for our fans and obviously our friends and family.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/premiership-hero-lambert-breaks-into-richmond-s-big-four-20180301-p4z2bs.html

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #397 on: March 02, 2018, 06:28:17 AM »
He definitely stood up in the Grand Final and was really consistent over the 4 quarters. Has a really impressive attitude.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #398 on: March 02, 2018, 08:11:05 AM »
No mention of Chocco in that article.  :rollin
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #399 on: March 02, 2018, 11:07:53 AM »
No mention of Chocco in that article.  :rollin

:lol

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #400 on: March 02, 2018, 02:16:16 PM »

Source: The Age

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #401 on: March 02, 2018, 07:50:04 PM »
Love this kid
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #402 on: March 02, 2018, 09:14:54 PM »
Dio is building up for a comment

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #403 on: March 07, 2018, 11:44:07 PM »
Only preseason, but Lambert has started 2018 on fire. Another 24 disposals along with his 4 goals.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond