Author Topic: Rate our recruiting over the whole 2014 trade/draft period?  (Read 7091 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Rate our recruiting over the whole trade/draft period?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2014, 02:40:31 AM »
Chris Pelchen on the AFL website gave us the equal worst rating ... C+

Richmond
The Tigers were surprisingly quiet during the trade period – especially in comparison to recent years – but they deliberately addressed some areas of concern in the draft. The recruitment of Corey Ellis, Connor Menadue, Nathan Drummond and Daniel Butler provides real run and carry to a team needing extra speed while hulking key tall Reece McKenzie was a worthy choice as a development project to support Jack Riewoldt. Overall, a sound result.
2014 Trade/Draft Period Rating: C+

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-04/pelchens-analysis

dwaino

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2014, 06:39:35 AM »
Did more than Sydney (Hunt as a DFA, and they lost Malceski) yet we get a C+ and they a B-.

Stupid article.

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2014, 07:11:11 AM »
Ahhh, the Pelican ...... 2 names - Beau Howler & Mitch Torp.

You tosser.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2014, 11:50:40 AM »
An B+ for me , we didn't trade our picks and brought 7 kids in.
We rated the kids and grabbed the best left on the table.
I like Ellis and the McKenzie was a steal.
Maybe Pelcham can get a job with Terry Wallet, they have similarities.

Offline Tigger

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2014, 05:02:49 PM »
That Pelchin article was truly rubbish.

He rated us the lowest yet look at adelaide Collingwood essendon fremantle. Joke. Pies lost two match winners yet rated that high. Beams and Harry O are in their top 10, yet that rated higher than us..Joke.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 09:22:00 PM by Tigger »

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2014, 12:58:00 AM »
That Pelchin article was truly rubbish.

He rated us the lowest yet look at adelaide Collingwood essendon fremantle. Joke. Pies lost two match winners yet rated that high. Beams and Harry O are in their top 10, yet that rated higher than us..Joke.
not sure what is not to like what collingwood did.
they lost obrien  basically for varcoe in a three club player swap.., they basically  managed to snare crisp who looks real promising, nd 5 degoey and nd 25 greenwood,  to replace beams. while   not in the same class as beams greenwood is a  handy inside mature  replacement especially if his form continues. degoey though  could be a beauty and every bit as good as beams.. 

degoey for beams, i rated heeney, petracca , degoey  then brayshaw in that order as far as mids go.  add moore f/s at 9 and bloody hell theres some real potential gone to that club. to top it off they took maynard with a second rounder.
imo they had a very good trade /draft period with the hand they were dealt.

to me they covered their senior losses as best as they could and once again well and truly looked after the long term future.

what is scary is the thought of both scharenberg and freeman coming into their team both very high picks last yr and both injured last yr. basically high quaity  new recruits.

yes beams is a big loss but harry o they couldnt get out the door quick enough there had been too many issues. ball retired but his best was way behind him.

i think pelchens ratings swayed by both trades and nd. not surprising richmond and freo rated worse than anyone else because of the lack of trades.

personally if im sceptical about any clubs trade / draft period its geelongs. to me in trades both of   stanley and clarke are high risk. as is blease as a f/a. ditto for me with nakia cockatoo at nd pick 10.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Rate our recruiting over the whole 2014 trade/draft period?
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2018, 01:54:10 AM »
In hindsight, what a topsy turvy recruiting effort.

Age     Height Weight   Recruited From        Position

DFA. Taylor Hunt               24       184     78    Geelong                     Midfielder
ND12. Corey Ellis               18       185     76    Western Jets              Midfielder

ND33. Connor Menadue      18       188     69    Western Jets              Midfielder
ND52. Nathan Drummond   19       181     85    Murray Bushrangers    Midfielder
ND67. Daniel Butler            18       181     79    North Ballarat Rebels   Small Forward
ND77. Reece McKenzie        18       196   100    Northern Knights        Tall Forward
RD11. Jayden Short           18       179     71    Northern Knights        Small Forward
RD29. Jason Castagna       18       182     76    Northern Knights        Small Defender
RD46. Kane Lambert          23       178     78    Williamstown              Midfielder

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2018, 06:19:21 AM »
In hindsight, what a topsy turvy recruiting effort.

Age     Height Weight   Recruited From        Position

DFA. Taylor Hunt               24       184     78    Geelong                     Midfielder
ND12. Corey Ellis               18       185     76    Western Jets              Midfielder

ND33. Connor Menadue      18       188     69    Western Jets              Midfielder
ND52. Nathan Drummond   19       181     85    Murray Bushrangers    Midfielder
ND67. Daniel Butler            18       181     79    North Ballarat Rebels   Small Forward
ND77. Reece McKenzie        18       196   100    Northern Knights        Tall Forward
RD11. Jayden Short           18       179     71    Northern Knights        Small Forward
RD29. Jason Castagna       18       182     76    Northern Knights        Small Defender
RD46. Kane Lambert          23       178     78    Williamstown              Midfielder

Revisit the 2014 ND draft thread. i recall it well. People who had an idea about football were furious with our picks and rightly so. Corey 54% by foot Ellis. Drafting skinny and poor prospects ahead of others available.

Others who defended our drafting didnt have the faintest idea.

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2018, 07:38:10 AM »
3 premiership players, 2 emergencies on grand final day, not bad I’d say.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2018, 08:38:11 AM »
I doubt any club has had a better rookie draft haul than that.

Short, Lambert and Castagna in one hit.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2018, 09:47:32 AM »
It was a good effort but Corey Ellis should never have been selected by us. I said it on the night and maintained that view right through. Butler, Short, Castagna and Lambert make it a good draft. I always expect us to find 2 good players in every national draft. This time we found 2 good ones and 2 ok ones. So that's not bad, but it was Frank Jackson taking players like Corey Ellis and Ben Lennon that has really cost us.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2018, 12:41:25 PM »
It was a good effort but Corey Ellis should never have been selected by us. I said it on the night and maintained that view right through. Butler, Short, Castagna and Lambert make it a good draft. I always expect us to find 2 good players in every national draft. This time we found 2 good ones and 2 ok ones. So that's not bad, but it was Frank Jackson taking players like Corey Ellis and Ben Lennon that has really cost us.

Lambo finished 3rd in the B&F in a premiership year and buttered up with a 2nd this year. He’s better than good.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2018, 12:49:45 PM »
He's a glorified Tim Fleming. Without the guts.
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2018, 12:52:44 PM »
Typical FJ period. The best player we get out of the whole trade/draft period is a mature recruit Lambert with our last rookie pick.

IMO  4 of the 5 nd picks are failures to date. Yes Menadue and Butler are still there but Menadue has failed dismally when given opportunity in the seniors and another poo season will see him gone.  Only sml fwd Butler has proved  himself and he has his fair share of knockers as well.

Hunt as a dfa was laughable then and is now.

The rookies have all played games but both Castagna and Short have severe limitations in their games and we really should be looking for better.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2018, 12:57:41 PM »
What are Short's limitations in your view, claw?

The weakness I see with him is how he goes under pressure in big games. Also gets off lightly for half hearted efforts unlike BEllis, Houli etc. Other than that he showed a lot this year & was very good off HB (mostly)....:shh

Curious to hear your thoughts on him.
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"