Author Topic: Francis Jackson  (Read 10498 times)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Francis Jackson
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2014, 07:04:03 PM »
Richo has dealt with player contracts for a long time now from his time at ESP so he is definitely most qualified to deal with the legal side of things.
You didn't answer my question though, 'why not BH in charge of the list?'

Richo isnt doing all contracts and that concerns me

In answer to your question I don't rate Blair so no I wouldn't have him in charge of our list.

And before you ask.

I don't rate him because he has a lot of say in who we should re-contract, trade for our recruiting model and who we target as free agents. Actually believe he has his fingers in far too many pies

He is the person who recommended giving a 3 year  extension to Grigg. Yes he was a good pick up at the time, he filled a need when he was bought to the club but now facts are he going to get any better so you have to ask why the extension?

People are critical of signing Chris Knights for 3 years under free agency. That was Blair decision not a Jackson one.

Hartley recommended we trade for Hampson, blind Freddie can see that was a very poor decision (and thats being kind). He also gave us Thomas.

You lamented during the FA period why we didn't go after a Frawley, suggest you ask Blair as he rates all the FAs....so...

As I've always said you want to whack Jackson for his recruiting selections then whack Blair as well because as Mr RFC_O pointed out Blair has a huge say in what sort of players we target because he is ultimately responsible for our list
Can you prove Richo doesn't do all the contracts? I would hope you would have something to back up a statement like that.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2014, 07:56:13 PM »
As I understand things, Blair Hartley is the List Manager and has been for a couple of years.
His title is General Manager of Player Personnel and List Management.
As such I think he is in charge of ALL player contracts since he has to juggle the salary cap to decide on free agents and contract offers (eg to Hunt, Cotchin, Rance and Martin currently).
That is to MANAGE the LIST and make decisions on PLAYER PERSONNEL.
Richardson is in overall charge of the football department and would be mostly concerned with directing and if necessary replacing staff - coaches, fitness, medical, recruiters.
Gale said something in one of his recent interviews that I found interesting and that was that the club was trying to improve it's ability internally.
From that I presume we will not be replacing any staff but improving our management of them to get better results.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2014, 08:27:12 PM »
Jackson to take on full-time Tiger role
10:55:06 AM Fri 24 February, 2006
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au

Former Richmond and Swans defender Francis Jackson has been appointed the Tigers’ full-time Recruiting Manager.

Jackson, 51, has spent the past 12 months assisting Richmond’s recruiting department on a part-time basis.

Richmond’s Director of Football Greg Miller explained that Jackson had made such an impression in 2005, the Club was keen to secure his permanent services.

‘The Club’s Board made a strategic decision in 2005 to go without a separate football recruiting division. I took on the role and received great support from a volunteer recruiting team, which Francis Jackson was part of,” he said.

“It was a great exercise for Francis to see how Richmond operated and to work closely with Terry Wallace and myself during the year.

“This gave Francis the confidence that he could now undertake a full-time role, and it gave Terry the confidence that he was a very astute football judge.”

Jackson played six senior games for Richmond from 1973-74, before being part of the famous trade deal for Swans’ star John Pitura in 1975. He went on to play 100 games for the Swans and earn a reputation as a tough, reliable backman.

“My relationship with Francis goes back to when he transferred over from Richmond to South Melbourne in ’75. I was one of the first blokes to meet him and we finished up becoming very good friends,” Miller said.

“An interesting part of Francis’ football career was in 1979 when he had a knee operation early on and missed the whole season. He was held in such high regard as an astute football person that Ian Stewart (the Swans’ senior coach at the time) immediately installed him as the club’s under 19s coach for the season.

“Francis had a further coaching stint with Sandringham in the VFA in 1987, and throughout my time in footy, he’s always been a good ally in the recruiting stakes.

“He worked very closely with me at the Kangaroos and, more recently, with Neville Stibbard at the Kangaroos.

“When I arrived at Richmond, I didn’t feel it was appropriate to bring him across straight away, but given the opportunity of a full-time role, we decided to get him across 12 months early (in 2005), to see how he liked the Tigers again – and how the Tigers liked him.

“And, it’s been an excellent relationship so far. He was instrumental with our draft choices last year and he now heads up the recruiting department.”

Jackson will officially start duties at Punt Road on April 1 after finishing the first school term of 2006 at Brighton Grammar, where he’s been heavily involved for many years as sports master and coach of their first-18 football team.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=247509

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2014, 08:47:14 PM »
Can you prove Richo doesn't do all the contracts? I would hope you would have something to back up a statement like that.

Yes

And pre-empting your next question  - No

And BTW

RedanTiger has summed it very well indeed  :clapping
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2014, 08:49:43 PM »

Yes

And pre-empting your next question  - No

And BTW

RedanTiger has summed it very well indeed  :clapping

mmm dunno, someone at the AGM tonight asked about Rance & martin contracts, Gale replied that Richardson was working on it

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2014, 08:54:24 PM »
mmm dunno, someone at the AGM tonight asked about Rance & martin contracts, Gale replied that Richardson was working on it

All I said originally was Richardson doesn't do ALL contracts

He does the biggies but not all the smaller ones

Redan's summary of Blair's role is pretty much spot on

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2014, 10:19:02 PM »

All I said originally was Richardson doesn't do ALL contracts

He does the biggies but not all the smaller ones

Redan's summary of Blair's role is pretty much spot on
No it's not. Not even close. Richardson does all contract from what I have been told. Even the small ones.
 And before you ask, no.
Think your mail might be a bit stale.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2014, 10:31:16 PM »
Is Francis Jackson our main list manager? No, Blair Hartley is ultimately responsible for the list. He, Dan Richo, Dimma and Francis discuss the make up of the list they want to achieve, it's then up to Blair and Francis to help get those players to the club.

How long has he been doing it for? He's been full-time since 2009.

Is he in charge of the face to face recruiting (the lounge room sell)? He goes along with our other recruiters, Dimma, Blair, maybe some players. Each recruit would be a different sell.

Would he and Dimma discuss all options prior to recruitment? Absolutely, Dimma explains the game plan he wants to use and the gaps he sees in the list, and Francis and his team is charged with getting those players in the draft. The data the recruiters collect on these players since they are 16, 17 then flows through to Blair's system to be used as trade/free agency potential options.
Full time since 2009? Is that right? I thought it was longer than that?

I can double check. He's been part-time since I think 2004.
Did you check?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2014, 10:50:30 PM »
No it's not. Not even close. Richardson does all contract from what I have been told. Even the small ones.
 And before you ask, no.

Not going to ask anything

And no my mail is as fresh a daisy actually

Very comfortable with what I know/been told, extremely!

Just as I am sure you are

So we might as well leave it at that.

Agree to disagree

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2014, 03:11:37 PM »
I'd like to hear Bojo's mail as a tiebreaker.  :shh
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2014, 09:06:06 PM »
 And before you ask, no.

Not going to ask anything

And no my mail is as fresh a daisy actually

Very comfortable with what I know/been told, extremely!

Just as I am sure you are

So we might as well leave it at that.

Agree to disagree
So let's get this straight, we headhut a player manager out of a company he has shares in, who has dealt with player contracts from a player manager side for many years, to employ him in a position that he has never done before and that's list management...
Are you sure he wasn't employed to do the very thing he was doing at ESP, only on club side of things?
Now I'm not saying nobody else has a say in player contracts at the club but Dan's name is on every contract and it's been that way since he walked in the door.
Next we will be  employing Paul Roos to be our accountant.  :thumbsup

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2014, 09:49:48 PM »
So let's get this straight, we headhut a player manager out of a company he has shares in, who has dealt with player contracts from a player manager side for many years, to employ him in a position that he has never done before and that's list management...
Are you sure he wasn't employed to do the very thing he was doing at ESP, only on club side of things?
Now I'm not saying nobody else has a say in player contracts at the club but Dan's name is on every contract and it's been that way since he walked in the door.
Next we will be  employing Paul Roos to be our accountant.  :thumbsup

Funny I thought Dan's job was head of the footy dept. You know the bloke who runs and oversees all areas of the footy dept. last time I checked that was his job. Actually I am sure that is how he explained it at pre-match function earlier this year, player contracts were only a part of his role. You'd hope the man himself would know

His name and sig maybe on every contract but he doesn't mean he negotiates every contract. That's been my point all along and still is. And I base that view on what I've been reliably told.

As I said: agree to disagree

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2014, 01:21:17 PM »
Jackson to take on full-time Tiger role
10:55:06 AM Fri 24 February, 2006
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au

Former Richmond and Swans defender Francis Jackson has been appointed the Tigers’ full-time Recruiting Manager.

Jackson, 51, has spent the past 12 months assisting Richmond’s recruiting department on a part-time basis.

Richmond’s Director of Football Greg Miller explained that Jackson had made such an impression in 2005, the Club was keen to secure his permanent services.

it’s been an excellent relationship so far. He was instrumental with our draft choices last year and he now heads up the recruiting department.”

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=247509
Those draft choices were Jon, Hughes and Casserley and he was instrumental. Rather Richmond like id say, appointing a bloke on the back of one at the time iffy draft and what has now become an utter failure.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2014, 02:39:16 PM »
God, I hated Hughes

Big girls blouse

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2014, 03:02:23 PM »