Author Topic: Jack Riewoldt on SEN  (Read 350 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jack Riewoldt on SEN
« on: March 19, 2015, 11:55:24 AM »
Richmond forward Jack Riewoldt speaks on SEN to Mark Allen and David Schwarz on The Run Home.

AUDIO: https://audioboom.com/boos/2997805-jack-riewoldt-on-the-run-home

Jack Riewoldt on shot clocks, responsibilities & the modern game
Joshua Papanikolaou
SEN
19 Mar 2015

15 sec countdown not a concern

For all NAB Challenge games played at Etihad Stadium this weekend an NBA-style shot clock will appear on the scoreboard when a player has 15 seconds remaining to take a set shot at goal.

Richmond forward Jack Riewoldt says he will pay not attention to the clock and go through his usual routine.

“It’s less time to have a look at yourself on the big screen so that’s a bit disappointing,” laughed Riewoldt on SEN radio.

“It is about crowd involvement and a bit of a novelty but I don’t really have a take on it because when you’re trying to kick goals you’re just focusing on the action you’re trying to do.”

Alcohol still the biggest concern for players

Gambling, illicit drugs and performance enhancing drugs have become prevalent issues for clubs and players in the last few years but Riewoldt believes alcohol is still the biggest problem within the league.

“I think alcohol is probably the biggest issue in Australia, but even betting is so in your face these days,” he said on The Run Home.

“It’s all about being responsible, that’s what we try and teach our young kids straight away and we continue to watch out for your teammates.”

Footy is still exciting, just a bit different

After a year of ultra-defensive tactics and low scoring this season is expected to deliver more matches played at a higher tempo.

However, the 26-year-old forward says the game is still producing regular exciting highlights.

“People say the game is a bit duller today but I get as much enjoyment from seeing some get chased down and tackled as taking a big flying pack mark,” said Riewoldt.

“That’s one of the really exciting spectacles of the game that probably goes under the radar a little bit.”

One percenters

“I get as much enjoyment out of seeing a chase-down tackle as a high-flying pack mark,” Riewoldt said on SEN.

“I reckon that’s a really exciting spectacle of the game that sort of goes under the radar a little bit . . .  someone just really mowing someone down and getting a free kick like that.

“It’s about promoting those behaviors inside your four walls and really rewarding guys with games.

“They might not be kicking goals, they might not be getting as many touches, but providing that defensive action, especially in the forward line, is crucial to having a successful side.”

Full articles:
http://www.sen.com.au/news/jack-riewoldt-on-shot-clocks-responsibilities-the-modern-game
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2015-03-19/riewoldt-a-fan-of-onepercenters