Author Topic: AFL clubs step in to give cheer squads a louder voice (Herald-Sun)  (Read 2490 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL clubs step in to give cheer squads a louder voice

Samantha Landy
Herald-Sun
March 01, 2015 11:37AM

THEY were once the home of diehard supporters run by ­veteran members, but AFL club cheer squads are now becoming “corporatised” in a bid to inject noise and combat ­dwindling fan numbers.

Clubs are even resorting to making squads invitation only and limiting numbers to boost atmosphere. But the changes have had mixed reviews.

The club-driven changes have been backed by an Essendon cheer squad stalwart, who says she will welcome any initiative to bulk up her red-and- black army.

But Tigers cheer squad head Gerard Egan, whose group is largely independent of the Richmond Football Club, said he thought it was “sad” that clubs felt the need to influence their fan base.

The Bulldogs intervened in their fan-run cheer squad in 2013, giving co-presidents David Porter and Gary Munn the boot and appointing a club staff member to a liaison role within the squad.

Then-chief executive Simon Garlick cited a dramatic drop in numbers, lack of interest from families and young supporters, and “financial management” issues as reasons for the move.

“We weren’t prepared to sit back and let such an important part of our club continue on the path it was,” Garlick said at the time.

The changes appear to have worked — the club’s cheer squad now has a healthy 454 members, who have the responsibility of making banners and leading chants.

The Bombers trimmed their squad to its 100 most passionate members and will transform seating behind them into an “Active Area” for a “back-up cheer squad”.

Essendon spokesman Justin Rodski said the club’s 220 cheer squad seats were often half full.

In an effort to fill them, the club had bought the seats left vacant by the reduced cheer squad to offer to members wanting to “play a major role in improving the atmosphere at our games”, he said.

Cheer squad co-ordinator Luisa Gaetano said she hoped the shake-up would boost the number of vocal supporters.

“Some people were just coming to a few games and we’ve had empty seats. It doesn’t look good,” she said.

“It will be great to see the whole bay red and black.”

St Kilda had “revitalised” its cheer squad this season in an attempt to “create more atmosphere at home games”, spokeswoman Breanna Gallagher said.

The club has created a “Goal Zone” membership for supporters keen to sit close to the cheer squad.

The Pies have revamped their cheer squad in a bid to revert it back to the formidable force of the 1980s and ’90s.

The new and improved “Barrackers End” will span three bays in the Ponsford Stand and big black and white banners will hang above it.

The squad was also stripped of traditional banner-making duties in 2014 to allow them to “focus on making a lot of noise”.

MEANWHILE, footy fans were left disappointed after being turned away from yesterday’s NAB Challenge clash between Richmond and the Western Bulldogs.

The Bulldogs tweeted that Whitten Oval had reached capacity, with the AFL reviewing if more members would be able to get in, or tickets made available.

“The AFL in conjunction with the venue will assess if there is any additional capacity remaining at the commencement of the match,” the club wrote.

http://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/afl-clubs-step-in-to-give-cheer-squads-a-louder-voice/story-fnii5sms-1227243407074

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Re: AFL clubs step in to give cheer squads a louder voice (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 03:28:17 PM »
Pies 3 rows in the ponsford and banners hanging off the G. I'd like to know what we're doing to match that at the Punt Road End.

Our cheer squad is rubbish.
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 03:38:47 PM »
Pies 3 rows in the ponsford and banners hanging off the G. I'd like to know what we're doing to match that at the Punt Road End.

Our cheer squad is rubbish.

The whole idea of sanctioned cheer squads is rubbish. stuff 'em.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 03:39:53 PM »
These numpties represent the lowest strata of society and should not be encouraged.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 03:53:53 PM »

These numpties represent the lowest strata of society and should not be encouraged.

Exactly.

Political correctness gone mad to give all and sundry a go.

Grog squad is far more enjoyable back in the day than this sanitised crap because Debbie and Stewart have gone to the footy for the first time with young Heath and Tayla and they don't want to hear Bob and Mick calling it the way it is. Everything is ok folks.

Cheer squads nowadays are for crap banners like  Brendan McCartney. "Our Mastermind". :help

Or for people who want to be part of something and sit behind the goals to fill a void.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 05:49:26 PM »
At least let us hang some flags off the G like Collonwood
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

No More

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 06:41:28 PM »

Exactly.

Political correctness gone mad to give all and sundry a go.

Grog squad is far more enjoyable back in the day than this sanitised crap because Debbie and Stewart have gone to the footy for the first time with young Heath and Tayla and they don't want to hear Bob and Mick calling it the way it is. Everything is ok folks.

Cheer squads nowadays are for crap banners like  Brendan McCartney. "Our Mastermind". :help

Or for people who want to be part of something and sit behind the goals to fill a void.

Your understanding of middle Australia is something to be applauded. Even Bernard Salt would be proud  ;D

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 09:53:59 PM »
Cheer squads in the 70s and 80s were awesome. They were the true grog squads and respected with more colour and movement than these days. Kind of like soccer crowds now. a really unique culture. people used to light opposition floggers and it would be on. but I digress...

I can remember sitting at a particular game in around 1985 in the ORCS, top stand southern stand, Rich v Essendon I think. the essendon cheer squad were 6-7 bays to our left, with 3 guys helping to wave this flag which would have been easily 30 ft high by 40ft wide. This thing was effing impressive. it was amazing, like half a banner. it stood for everything about the vfl in the 80s.

In the ORCS, there were still 200 odd people in the two bays but those bays held about 1000 persons. I remember glancing back at the vacant seats cascading to the back of the stand, to my right, a guy was holding his ghetto blaster 1 inch from his ear as a new thrash track was absolutely shredding him. The soundtrack all obvious to the rest of the cheer squad.

80% of the cheersquad were grogged up AYM. Come to think of it, most of the crowd were.

BUT, at least its wasn't as sanitized as today. Flag height limits, pc and the rest of the show are so sterile these days.

To the point that what results are these family friendly kid zones being the complete antithesis of why cheersquads were established and what they stood for.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 01:50:38 AM by Dooks »
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

tony_montana

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 10:48:34 PM »
 :clapping