Author Topic: Interactive footy fan map: AFL clubs’ membership heartlands (Herald-Sun)  (Read 645 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Interactive footy fan map: AFL clubs’ membership heartlands

Fiona Hudson
Herald-Sun
March 09, 2015 10:16PM

VICTORIA’S footy fan heartlands are shifting from their traditional tribal turf.

Collingwood isn’t among the top 20 suburbs Magpie members call home, and paid-up Blues have ditched Carlton as their address of choice.

Reservoir is now the epicentre for both devoted Carlton and Collingwood members, a Herald Sun analysis of Victorian membership data from AFL clubs shows.

Clubs to retain the strongest links to their old territories include Richmond — home to the most Tigers members — and Essendon, top choice for paid-up Bombers.

But the preferred nest for Hawks diehards is Croydon; Hawthorn ranks second.

Living up to its establishment reputation, Melbourne is the only club to count Toorak among its top fan zones.

The cream of the Cats’ members still cluster in Geelong and its surrounds.

But the pull of former Cat turned Gold Coast captain Gary Ablett Jr has helped turn Geelong suburb Belmont into the most-favoured turf for Suns fans.

Sydney supporters have clung to tradition: South Melbourne is the most popular roost for Victorian-based Swans members.

And Saints fans have a stranglehold on the bayside suburbs.

Port Adelaide has its strongest following in Horsham and Mildura, while Crows fans flock around the Docklands.

The Herald Sun obtained 2014 data from all AFL clubs except Brisbane, which refused to participate.

The Blues’ manager of fan development, Clinton Bown, said Carlton’s transient population helped explain its absence from the club’s top 20 strident supporter suburbs.

“Carlton had its historical roots in the migrant families of the Italian, Greek, Jewish and Lebanese communities,” Mr Bown said.

“Many moved to more affluent suburbs like Kew, Caulfield and Brighton, having established their wealth from very humble beginnings.”

Reservoir bar manager Steve Bower, an ardent Blue, says: “Everyone I know either barracks for Collingwood or Carlton, and we’re all from Reservoir. Society has changed and people are moving out of the city and taking their team support with them.”

Collingwood spokeswoman Elizabeth Muling said member numbers tended to be higher in the north, the club’s traditional recruiting zone.

Geelong’s Kevin Diggerson said the Cats were unique for their strong local ties.

St Kilda’s Luke Holmesby said one in five AFL club members living bayside was a Saint.

“We (also) have very significant support in Melbourne’s southeast,” Mr Holmesby said.

Tigers CEO Brendon Gale said the club had been “an integral part of Richmond for over 130 years, and our supporter numbers reflect that”.

http://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/interactive-footy-fan-map-afl-clubs-membership-heartlands/story-fnii5sms-1227255772155

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Franga

dwaino

Bang in between Bentleigh and Aspendale here, only a handful of Tigers around so map is probably pretty accurate. See mostly saints bumper stickers around here, probably the only place in Melbourne.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
How many Tiger members in Richmond ?
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
How does Hawthorn not even get in the top 20 for us? That's a load of bullpoop. Plenty of Tigers members living there right next door to Richmond

No More

http://media.heraldsun.com.au/footyfanmap/comp01/index14.html

Good news for the club. We seem to have lots of support in areas like Cranbourne, Narre Warren, Werribee, Berwick, Pakenham, Eltham and Greensborough. Some of these areas are really growing areas, Im surprised by Eltham and Greensborough as well as Werribee but it shows that we have relevance right across Melbourne and the outer suburbs. We should try and attack St Kildas area which is traditionally all the bayside suburbs right down to the Peninsula.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
More members in Eltham and Greensborough than Essendrug and Carton. Pies and Tigers top 2 there now. Must say I'm suprised that Heidleberg isn't on the list. There's a fair bit of Tiger supporters there but I don't know if they're members. Also Camberwell has a fair bit of Tigers but must not be members.