Author Topic: Madam president - Peggy O'Neal interview (afl site)  (Read 4140 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Madam president - Peggy O'Neal interview (afl site)
« on: March 25, 2015, 11:44:26 AM »
Madam president

Ashley Browne 
afl.com.au
March 25, 2015 9:40 AM

PEGGY O'Neal's first day as a Richmond supporter got off to an auspicious start.

Not long in Australia, having moved from the mountains of Virginia in the US, she turned up to watch the Tigers on a bright, sunny day at the MCG wearing a red, wide-brimmed hat.

"Oh my god, you can't wear that!" shrieked her friend, whose goal that day was to indoctrinate O'Neal into all things Richmond.

"That's the colour of Melbourne and that's the team we're playing today."

With that, O'Neal disappeared briefly, found a merchandise stall and returned sporting a more suitable yellow and black cap. It was the start of a commitment to Richmond that has grown steadily over the last quarter of a century to now, as she enters her second season as president of the Tigers.

O'Neal grew up as a fan of basketball in the US rather than American football, liking the physicality but without the padding. That's what drew her towards Australian football when she first moved here, as did the idea of supporting the local club.

She moved into Richmond – the suburb – and loved the thought of following the club that was based and which played its games just a short walk from home.

Moving through the ranks of a prestigious Melbourne law firm, O'Neal also came to understand that football was the great conversation starter in her new home city.

"As an outsider you learned a lot about Melbourne through the game," she told AFL.com.au in a recent interview. "I quite understand how it gives an outsider - if you're interested in sport – an entrée into the types of conversations Melbourne has for much of the year.

"Once you took a team you have a tribe and once you're in, it doesn't matter much about your background. You have that sense of belonging and understanding of the community that little bit better.

"I like the sport, but really like how it's connected to the community in which you live."

Her devotion grew bit by bit. She gave money to the 'Save Our Skins' campaign that kept the Tigers from death's door in the early 1990s. Once she became a partner of her law firm, she would schedule the mandatory 'work on the weekend' sessions so that she could be at the football in time for the opening bounce whenever Richmond played.

She sponsored players and helped establish the Tommy Hafey Club. In late 2005 she joined the board at the behest of then chief executive Greg Miller. And she became president at the end of 2013, breaking new ground as the first American-born president of an AFL club, but more significantly, the first woman.

Her friends and relatives back in the US find it intriguing that she heads up a football club. In their eyes, the title of 'president' is akin to that of 'owner' and they forever grill her about whether she flies to games in her own private plane.

The female side of course, is more significant. When the presidency became a consideration she knew she had the skills to do the job well. Deciding whether she was the best representative for the club took a bit more thinking.

"I have always recognised that when opportunities came up for women, that they should step up and take them when it's their turn. I can't deny that there was an element of this being a novelty at first and how would that wear with me. But I wanted to be a good president and it was my turn. I knew I was ready for it."

Richmond is no longer the volatile club it once was. The days of ruthlessly sacking its coaches are long gone and as O'Neal rightly points out, both Danny Frawley and Terry Wallace served out their full terms as coach. Damian Hardwick has already had his contract extended once since his appointment in 2010.

But it is a quirky club. The football world fell in love with the Tigers in 2013 as they marched into their first finals series in 12 years and watched with fascination as they slumped to a 3-10 start last year.

What was remarkable about Richmond's slump last year was that while the supporters were apoplectic as the losses mounted, the club itself maintained an admirable impression of calm and unity.

There were few angry outbursts from former greats. Neither O'Neal nor chief executive Brendon Gale gave the media anything even slightly worthy of a screaming headline despite calls from them to do so, chiefly from Matthew Lloyd, who got into a shouting match with Caroline Wilson on Footy Classified one evening when he demanded to know what O'Neal brought to the club in this time of apparent crisis.

"It wouldn't have happened to a male president," Wilson said. "Peggy did so much behind the scenes and because she and her high-profile chief executive didn't speak out, it was amazing.

"One of the reasons the club didn't implode because it had a woman president, someone who was steadying the ship. She maintained that air of stability and kept things calm."

O'Neal says her silence should not have been mistaken for a lack of concern. "I'm still surprised that people think that if they're not reading about it in the paper, then nothing's happening," she said.

"I think the best work is done when you have the freedom to talk among yourselves and not have to pay attention to those who may not have your best interests at heart. The ones who have committed many years with the club and have the right talent are the ones who will go through the process to get us out of this."

It is this sort of calm and measured approach, perhaps shaped by years working among the minutiae of financial services law, that sees people such as Hardwick become unabashed fans of O'Neal.

"What she does really well is not ask a lot of questions but ask the right questions," he said. "That's the sign of a great leader and that's what Peggy is. She makes really solid decisions and doesn't rush into things. You give her answers and then she makes decisions. I have found her to be outstanding."

O'Neal's appointment as president is symbolic of the sort of club the Tigers are striving to become. Even before her appointment, the Tigers were concerned that a breakdown of their membership numbers showed they were in the bottom quartile for female members. 'Wayne from Wantirna', the Coodabeen Champions archetypal forty-something Richmond supporter was actually close to the mark.

So the club eagerly embraced the opportunity to take part in a research project, Gender Equity: What Will It Take To Be The Best, in conjunction with the AFL and the Australian Sports Commission.

The club will be outlining some key announcements before long in this area, but has set itself the target of having women comprise 40 per cent of its key committees and executive by 2017.

"There's more everyone could do," said O'Neal of the AFL industry as a whole. "It's interesting we can still count the number of women on boards but not men. The clubs that want to be better in terms of decision-making and business are those that are trying to bring all types of women into the organisation."

Like those who have gone before her since the club's last premiership in 1980, she dreams of a Tiger premiership flag being unfurled once more. The celebrations will really be something special. But she is front and centre of a profound change for Richmond and for football and she will leave a legacy behind, irrespective of whether the 11th premiership cup makes its way to the trophy cabinet in the interim.

"I think Richmond didn't understand how things were moving on for a number of reasons and has since been playing catch up," she said. "But we have caught up and now we're making the big leap to go ahead."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-25/madam-president

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Madam president - Peggy O'Neal interview (afl site)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 04:44:35 PM »
I'm all for women being involved but it's just silly to aim for a 40-60 split. What are they going to do, overlook better credentialed men just to meet their quota of women?

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 06:42:42 PM »
The best person should get the job, not token appointments.
If they want to play politics do it in a political party or in the board room of some other business.
The RFC board should be in the business of supporting the staff and mitigating risk so the coaches and players can win as many games as possible.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 06:51:13 PM »
Perfect synergy with Hardwick's onfield selection process which is also not a meritocracy and favours those without balls....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 08:09:58 PM »
Perfect synergy with Hardwick's onfield selection process which is also not a meritocracy and favours those without balls....
What a lot of rot
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 09:53:51 PM »
I'm all for women being involved but it's just silly to aim for a 40-60 split. What are they going to do, overlook better credentialed men just to meet their quota of women?

It would only apply in the situation where its a marginal call. Declaring the quota should encourage more women to feel that they should have a crack at applying for roles at the club.
These types of discussion are sometimes difficult to navigate because if the obvious impression they can create but in the longer term this thinking is progressive and will lift capability at the club
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 09:56:21 PM »
The best person should get the job, not token appointments.
If they want to play politics do it in a political party or in the board room of some other business.
The RFC board should be in the business of supporting the staff and mitigating risk so the coaches and players can win as many games as possible.

I agree that it should always be about getting the best people. And right now case I believe we have the best person as the President of our Club. Gender is not relevant in this case because let us not forget that at the time she elected president by the other board members she was the only female board member. And I don't believe for one minute it was some sort of token gesture. She was deemed by her peers to be the best person to lead the club.

I also agree that a board is about supporting the staff and governance and again we have that now and more importantly we have the right balance starting with our President

However, at the same time I think it's important to remember that there is a lot of politics involved in footy clubs and most of it has been at board level and to think otherwise is well naïve at best. IMHV it is the politics at footy clubs that has led to there not being as much female involvement because of the outdated mentality of the only people who can fill the roles on the boards of footy clubs is men. Having witnessed it first hand you would be hard pressed to change my view on it
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 10:18:21 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 10:47:54 PM »

It would only apply in the situation where its a marginal call. Declaring the quota should encourage more women to feel that they should have a crack at applying for roles at the club.
These types of discussion are sometimes difficult to navigate because if the obvious impression they can create but in the longer term this thinking is progressive and will lift capability at the club

Establishing equality of opportunity may be "progressive" - instituting equality of outcomes is anything but.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 11:00:36 PM »
great summary

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 12:42:13 AM »

If it's just talk to get more females feeling confident to get involved then good on them no complaints here just hope come 2017 they aren't pooing themselves for not making the quota and just pick the first female that walks in boobs first

Establishing equality of opportunity may be "progressive" - instituting equality of outcomes is anything but.

Nailed it in one  :clapping

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 02:31:34 AM »
Emily's list @ Tigerland.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 08:30:51 PM »

I'm pretty sure good leadership can achieve both so let's see what happens.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 09:53:38 PM »
Honestly who has a clue who is the best person for the job. Anyone who says they know is full of it. Ive seen great ideas come out of nowhere and crap come from the best laid plans. Having a balanced mix of gender, personality, education levels, experience in any given team is as good a long term strategy as any.  Look at those who self select like Google. Kids doing no evil one minute, dodging taxes like al capone the next. They're just cocky now.

Im for a balanced strategy.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 10:53:31 PM »
On that senario, if no one can judge if any person has a better chance than another of succeeding regardless of experience and capabilities why not draft some players from the women's league and see how that works out.
Maybe common sense is not so common and experience is irrelevant.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 11:20:39 PM by camboon »

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 11:58:13 PM »
What has she done again?
Caracella and Balmey.