Author Topic: Bennell, McKenzie & Matera.  (Read 1993 times)

Hellenic Tiger

Re: Bennell, McKenzie & Matera.
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2015, 09:36:06 PM »
If they're stars they aint coming here.

Not part of the Blair Book of Bargains. :help

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2015, 09:43:06 PM »
If we sack Hardwick, Richardson, Hartley, Jackson, Gale, Burge, O'Neal and get competent people in those positions, I think they could do very well here.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2015, 09:46:39 PM »
I love posts that start with if on this forum.
The f in if stands for fairytales.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2015, 09:48:05 PM »
Put them in a good environment and like whoa these kids could thrive , GC  :lol put TV and Dea on the table and get it done Blair  :clapping

The only thing I want to see on the table when Blair is around is his letter of termination
That won't be happening any time soon , when you ve got scalps like Maric houli and miles on your belt that's not a bad CV.  :shh..and don't tell me about Hampson , even hawthorn stuffed up once with dayle garlett

Absolutely Bojo.

Everyone makes mistakes.

Hawthorn are current back to back premiers last time I checked.

It's like your Pee Wee Herman and your telling Mike Tyson hey you're convicted felon and no longer heavyweight champ. It might be true but doesn't mean its the right. :help
Why don't you name all the players Hartley has recruited from other clubs , games played and BF placings , Maric, Miles , houli, Chaplin ....not a bad start champ , ya  know what I'm sayin
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2015, 09:54:19 PM »
Put them in a good environment and like whoa these kids could thrive , GC  :lol put TV and Dea on the table and get it done Blair  :clapping

The only thing I want to see on the table when Blair is around is his letter of termination
That won't be happening any time soon , when you ve got scalps like Maric houli and miles on your belt that's not a bad CV.  :shh..and don't tell me about Hampson , even hawthorn stuffed up once with dayle garlett

Absolutely Bojo.

Everyone makes mistakes.

Hawthorn are current back to back premiers last time I checked.

It's like your Pee Wee Herman and your telling Mike Tyson hey you're convicted felon and no longer heavyweight champ. It might be true but doesn't mean its the right. :help
Why don't you name all the players Hartley has recruited from other clubs , games played and BF placings , Maric, Miles , houli, Chaplin ....not a bad start champ , ya  know what I'm sayin

Bo they are just soldiers. Colonels and Lieutenants win you flags not foot soldiers.
We are so far off the mark in our recruiting.
Our list is like Swiss cheese full of holes.
Granted these blokes are ok but that's it.
How about all the misses? Too many to mention.
Can't harp on the few that go ok when we've got a plethora or had a plethora that didn't
Come on man even the most optimistic RFC fan knows we need a major reno.
We all love the club but this failure is deep rooted. Enough is enough.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2015, 10:27:43 PM »

He stuffed up with Hampson - no one can dispute that. To give up a 2nd round pick and give him a 3 year contract is one of the biggest if not the biggest trade error this club has ever made and that's saying something

He stuffed up giving Grigg an 3 year contract extension. Yes he was a good get at the start, what we needed at the time but facts are he isn't going to get better, he aint going to win us a flag. So why give him 3 years?

He recommends what to offer contract wise to existing players on our list because he ranks our list. Want me to list some of them that have a lot of folks doing this  :huh3

You know there's Vickery 3 years, Conca, Morris and hell even Knights (personally I have no probs with that one but many do) want me to go on?. Then there's those who left and we got nothing for eg White .... all have Blair's prints all over them. Yep he got some right but he's made some howlers and it's about time he was held to account rather than getting promotions and given more power/influence
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2015, 12:02:08 AM »

He stuffed up with Hampson - no one can dispute that. To give up a 2nd round pick and give him a 3 year contract is one of the biggest if not the biggest trade error this club has ever made and that's saying something

He stuffed up giving Grigg an 3 year contract extension. Yes he was a good get at the start, what we needed at the time but facts are he isn't going to get better, he aint going to win us a flag. So why give him 3 years?

He recommends what to offer contract wise to existing players on our list because he ranks our list. Want me to list some of them that have a lot of folks doing this  :huh3

You know there's Vickery 3 years, Conca, Morris and hell even Knights (personally I have no probs with that one but many do) want me to go on?. Then there's those who left and we got nothing for eg White .... all have Blair's prints all over them. Yep he got some right but he's made some howlers and it's about time he was held to account rather than getting promotions and given more power/influence
Here's a list of the 5 second round draft picks prior to the Hampson trade.
Elton
Griffiths
McBean

Not one player from that list is even close to being a good contributor to a mid ladder side.
Throw in Conca and Vickery as first rounders in the same drafts and I don't think our trading is the real issue..
But you would prefer to blame Hartley for giving first rounders a contract extension??

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2015, 07:09:14 AM »
But you would prefer to blame Hartley for giving first rounders a contract extension??

So you are saying that Vickery deserved his current deal? Conca? Grigg?

I blame Hartley for a lot because his job list management.

he ranks our list, he ranks opposition lists, he determines what our approach to recruiting & trading should be on year by year basis based on his ranking system. He made the call to go after Hampson .. and that is clear disaster. Instead of listing previous 2nd round draft choices before the Hampson trade would suggest to look at those who were selected around the pick we gave up and see how they are going

Better yet why don't we look at the other rucknen traded the same year. McEvoy & Longer. longer wanted out of Brisbane, is a good young ruckman wh can actually take a mark..far better option than Hampson but no Blair said Hampson is the mans and gave him 3 years. Stellar job indeed

Hartley is involved in players contracts - IMESHO he shouldn't be doing contracts but he does.

He has too much influence in too many areas
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 08:10:45 AM by WilliamPowell »

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2015, 08:14:48 AM »

So you are saying that Vickery deserved his current deal? Conca? Grigg?

I blame Hartley for a lot because his job list management.

he ranks our list, he ranks opposition lists, he determines what our approach to recruiting & trading should be on year by year basis based on his ranking system. He made the call to go after Hampson .. and that is clear disaster. Instead of listing previous 2nd round draft choices before the Hampson trade would suggest to look at those who were selected around the pick we gave up and see how they are going

Hartley is involved in players contracts - IMESHO he shouldn't be doing contracts but he does.

He has too much influence in too many areas
To answer your question simply- yes all 3 deserved contract extensions. Knowbody knows what they are getting paid, Grigg at the time of his extension was playing ok and had earnt his extension. At the time he was in our best 22 but should have been fased out by now but Dimma in his wisdom refuses to play kids in front of him. IMO if he was still on our list but only playing when we had some injuries would be ok with me.
Vickery and Conca are both still young, both have played some good footy and both are early draft picks that deserve extra time to improve especially Vickery being a tall. If we decide they are not the right fit for us at least if they are contracted we get to trade them for someone we might think can do a better job. If uncontracted they can walk and we get nothing.
Pretty simple stuff really.

Just on Hampson being a disaster, it's a pretty big word consider the list I gave you before- it was a miss but so was Post and most of the others.
As I said before FJ is the luckiest bloke alive IMO with his record. And I don't think many could defend that, except Bo of course.  :lol

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2015, 12:30:35 PM »
To answer your question simply- yes all 3 deserved contract extensions. Knowbody knows what they are getting paid, Grigg at the time of his extension was playing ok and had earnt his extension. At the time he was in our best 22 but should have been fased out by now but Dimma in his wisdom refuses to play kids in front of him. IMO if he was still on our list but only playing when we had some injuries would be ok with me.
Vickery and Conca are both still young, both have played some good footy and both are early draft picks that deserve extra time to improve especially Vickery being a tall. If we decide they are not the right fit for us at least if they are contracted we get to trade them for someone we might think can do a better job. If uncontracted they can walk and we get nothing.

It's not about what they are being paid. It is about someone like Vickery been given a 3 year extension. Based on his performances I'd argue an extension should have been 1 yr with an option of a 2nd based on certain criteria being met. Not a 3 year gift, he should be like others and made to earn his contract as opposed to being gifted 3 years because he was a first round draft pick or the fact he is a tall. How much more gifting do we have to do with this bloke. Other players haven't been afforded such a luxury

As for Grigg again should have been 1 yr with an option 2 years max, not 3. I scratch my head as to why we give blokes 3 year details when it's obvious that other sides arent' going to be chasing them. But we lock ourselves into contracts that are of no value at trade time because those players aren't of any interest to other clubs, so they aren't going to walk anywhere if no one else wants them. And being shackled with these dud contracts limits our ability to go after decent FAs

I rate Conca, but based on his injury history you have to question the logic behind a long deal.

I also agree with you re your comments about Dimma not playing kids, hence why we don't know if Elton is any good or going to be. Ditto McBean

Just on Hampson being a disaster, it's a pretty big word consider the list I gave you before- it was a miss but so was Post and most of the others.

Hampson was given a 3 year deal when he came to us (the year he had remaining + a further 2 years). He is currently running around in the VFL. He spent the 2nd half of 2014 in the VFL. Outside of being a reasonable tap ruckman he cannot take a mark to save himself and he's not much good at being a resting ruckman up forward because the marking issue plus the fact he isn't a great kick limits his ability to play that role. So based on what we gave up and considering the options available at the same trade period (eg McEvoy & Longer) that we didn't even consider because Hampson was "the man" then I think there is a fair argument to say based on where it currnetly sits it's been a disaster.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2015, 12:44:25 PM »
List management in its entirety is the issue, can't just be narrowed down to drafting VS trading.

Can see some remarkable stuff-ups in both areas. Picking the wrong blokes, overlooking the right ones, paying too much for some players, and just not chasing certain opportunities anywhere near hard enough.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2015, 01:22:32 PM »
List management in its entirety is the issue, can't just be narrowed down to drafting VS trading.

Can see some remarkable stuff-ups in both areas. Picking the wrong blokes, overlooking the right ones, paying too much for some players, and just not chasing certain opportunities anywhere near hard enough.

Agree, just think compared to the whacks Jackson has received Hartley has got off very lightly indeed.

Especially considering he is role means he is involved in both

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2015, 04:51:33 PM »

It's not about what they are being paid. It is about someone like Vickery been given a 3 year extension. Based on his performances I'd argue an extension should have been 1 yr with an option of a 2nd based on certain criteria being met. Not a 3 year gift, he should be like others and made to earn his contract as opposed to being gifted 3 years because he was a first round draft pick or the fact he is a tall. How much more gifting do we have to do with this bloke. Other players haven't been afforded such a luxury

As for Grigg again should have been 1 yr with an option 2 years max, not 3. I scratch my head as to why we give blokes 3 year details when it's obvious that other sides arent' going to be chasing them. But we lock ourselves into contracts that are of no value at trade time because those players aren't of any interest to other clubs, so they aren't going to walk anywhere if no one else wants them. And being shackled with these dud contracts limits our ability to go after decent FAs

I rate Conca, but based on his injury history you have to question the logic behind a long deal.

I also agree with you re your comments about Dimma not playing kids, hence why we don't know if Elton is any good or going to be. Ditto McBean

Hampson was given a 3 year deal when he came to us (the year he had remaining + a further 2 years). He is currently running around in the VFL. He spent the 2nd half of 2014 in the VFL. Outside of being a reasonable tap ruckman he cannot take a mark to save himself and he's not much good at being a resting ruckman up forward because the marking issue plus the fact he isn't a great kick limits his ability to play that role. So based on what we gave up and considering the options available at the same trade period (eg McEvoy & Longer) that we didn't even consider because Hampson was "the man" then I think there is a fair argument to say based on where it currnetly sits it's been a disaster.
When trading players all parties need to agree INCLUDING the player. That's why Hampson got 3 years, you potentially pay overs with the amount you pay a player and also the length of contract. Otherwise why would they leave! Hartley got it wrong no doubt but my point is FJ probably would have too if he had that pick. His record speaks for itself. Drafting is a gamble and so is trading.
The rest of your post is your opinion on contract lengths, which lets be honest you wouldn't know about other than the time frame.
When talking about contract lengths it's a fine line in today's landscape with players able to move around much more easly with FA. Rance is a perfect example. 3 years for a young player that is best 22 at the time of a contrct extension isn't that outrageous. You can sometimes get a bargain if the contract is a bit longer giving you more cash to actually get a FA to your club.
I'll ask you this, would you get rid of FJ today if you could?
I know the answer to Hartley already. We all do.

Offline Zlatan

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2015, 05:24:22 PM »
From the low down on bigfooty, Benell sounds like bad news, this is not his first offense. People are comparing him to Fevola. I'm not sure were so good with drunks. Were probably better to steer clear of him.

but he can play