Author Topic: Telstra Dome ?  (Read 3371 times)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Telstra Dome ?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2005, 11:14:46 AM »
The problem is the AFL no longer schedules games at the 'G (except for that Pies vs Dons one). So although there are 4 times - Fri. night, Sat arvo, Sat. night and Sun - available each week, only on Sat. and Sun afternoons will matches now be played at the 'G.

Earlier this season, Essendon and Carlton also played at the ‘G’ on a Friday night, IIRC?

It seems that the AFL will schedule games there when it suits.  There’s no valid explanation why games aren’t able to be scheduled there on a Friday night.  If they won’t schedule games there in the middle of winter, there’s no reason not to either early or towards the end of a season.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2005, 03:57:13 PM »
The problem is the AFL no longer schedules games at the 'G (except for that Pies vs Dons one). So although there are 4 times - Fri. night, Sat arvo, Sat. night and Sun - available each week, only on Sat. and Sun afternoons will matches now be played at the 'G.

Earlier this season, Essendon and Carlton also played at the ‘G’ on a Friday night, IIRC?

It seems that the AFL will schedule games there when it suits.  There’s no valid explanation why games aren’t able to be scheduled there on a Friday night.  If they won’t schedule games there in the middle of winter, there’s no reason not to either early or towards the end of a season.

I totally agree TS. It also flies in the face of the AFL claiming it wants to maximise attendances as WP mentioned in the Geelong thread. I don't have the stats on me but I'd reckon our home crowds are roughly around 5,000 higher when we play at the 'G compared to the Dome. Not to mention IMO the atmosphere at the game is better.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2005, 04:07:18 PM »
I totally agree TS. It also flies in the face of the AFL claiming it wants to maximise attendances as WP mentioned in the Geelong thread. I don't have the stats on me but I'd reckon our home crowds are roughly around 5,000 higher when we play at the 'G compared to the Dome. Not to mention IMO the atmosphere at the game is better.

Actually IIRC (from the AFL's official fixture book) in 2004 our average crowds at Telstra where higher than the MCG. I'll double check that tonight :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2005, 04:26:42 PM »

Actually IIRC (from the AFL's official fixture book) in 2004 our average crowds at Telstra where higher than the MCG. I'll double check that tonight :thumbsup

LOL (takes foot our of mouth  ;D). Nah what I meant was to compare since 2000 (first year of the Dome) how the average crowds at the Dome compared over that time to the 'G figures for each opponent (i.e. Hawks, Dogs, etc..). I know timing and form can inflate or in our case for most of that time deflate crowd figures but I had a feeling it was roughly 5,000. I could be totally off the mark mind you  :-\.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2005, 07:32:19 PM »
Here are the Tigers 2004 attendance stats from the AFL Official 2005 fixture (page 73 to be precise ;D)

Total H&A Attendances = 751,982

Total Home game aggregate = 389,161 - Average home crowd = 35,378. Average away crowd 34,181. Average H&A crowd 34,181

MCG Average Home Crowd = 34,957 (Highest agsainst the Pies in rd 1 was 55,622)

Telstra Dome average home crowd = 36,116 (highest was against Carlton 46,618)

=========

Just as a footnote: Out of the Victorian Clubs the Tigers came in 4th in total crowd numbers behind Bombers & Pies equal 1st,
Carlton 2nd, and St Kilda 3rd.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2005, 07:04:50 PM »
Nah what I meant was to compare since 2000 (first year of the Dome) how the average crowds at the Dome compared over that time to the 'G figures for each opponent (i.e. Hawks, Dogs, etc..).

Average Home Attendances (2000-2005)

Opp    MCG     Dome

Adel  29,073    28,439   
Bris  31,688    22,642   
Carl  55,926    46,618   
Coll  62,065     ------
Ess   56,858     ------
Freo  20,523   23,578   
Geel  37,208   38,546   
Haw  40,990   37,261 
Nth   37,660   ------
Melb  36,003  ------
Port    -------     18,611   
St K  37,754   38,072   
Syd   32,973   34,065   
WCE  27,176  25,680   
Dogs  37,883  31,165   

Vic:  44,705    38,470   

Vic (excluding Big 3):  37,916  36,432   

All:  38,841   31,397   

All (excluding Big 3):  33,539   29,874 

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2005, 05:26:41 PM »
Dome still not up to scratch
24 August 2005   Herald Sun
Mark Stevens

Exclusive: THE Telstra Dome surface is under renewed fire, with the AFL's players delivering an overwhelming thumbs down.

Of the 529 players questioned in a Herald Sun-AFL Players' Association survey, 80.9 per cent ranked the turf either "sometimes unsuitable" or "mostly unsuitable" for AFL football.

Only 15.3 per cent gave the surface a tick for being generally suitable and 3.6 per cent dubbed it fantastic.
In other survey findings:

THE players have backed the new tribunal system.

MATTHEW Lloyd has been judged the most reliable set-shot kick for goal.

UMPIRES are still the most favoured people to vote on the Brownlow Medal.

AFLPA president Peter Bell said the players' opinions of the surface had sagged this season.

"Generally speaking, you'd say that players are less happy with the surface," Bell said.

"The various stakeholders are doing what they can, but obviously there's still a fair way to go before it's an acceptable playing field and surface."

Asked if the time would come when the players made a stand, Bell replied: "That may happen."

"I hope this doesn't happen, but perhaps there will be a serious injury that is a result of the surface."

Telstra Dome took another hit in the favourite ground stakes.

Only 6.3 per cent of players named Telstra Dome as their favourite venue overall, down from 16.3 per cent last year.

The MCG has widened the gap in the popularity stakes, lifting its preferred ground rating from 43.8 per cent to 59.6 per cent.

Telstra Dome officials yesterday declined to comment on the results of the survey.

The players have no issue with the facilities at the Dome, but the turf is an issue which won't go away.
AFLPA chief executive Brendon Gale said the problems at the ground were obvious.

"There's concerns with the playability of the surface ... I don't think it's rocket science," Gale said.

"We will keep registering our concerns when we don't think it's up to scratch.

"We've insisted they do look for long-term solutions."

The AFLPA said it found comfort in a recent meeting with Telstra Dome chiefs to discuss long-term solutions.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou has expressed surprise at the high negative percentage, but backed the surface.

"We're on public record as saying the ground is absolutely safe for football," Demetriou said. "We stand by that. We wouldn't send anyone out into an unsafe workplace.

"There are mechanisms in place to check and sign off on the suitability of the ground through inspections and the like.

"I'm surprised by the percentage," Demetriou said.

"I know the venue is always looking to improve the surface.

"Overall, up until the laying of new grass about four weeks ago when there was this perceived excess slipping, I think the ground has played very, very well."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,16364298%255E20322,00.html

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2005, 05:34:45 PM »
The AFLPA said it found comfort in a recent meeting with Telstra Dome chiefs to discuss long-term solutions.

At least that's something I suppose.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou has expressed surprise at the high negative percentage, but backed the surface.

The players are the ones out there, but what would they know whether the surface is good enough to play on or not? :-\

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2005, 08:15:56 PM »
Hitler and Mussolini know best.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2005, 03:00:45 AM »
There was almost a 10,000 average crowd difference between our home games at the 'G and the Dome this year :gobdrop

Team.. Aggregate.. Games.. Average

Home at M.C.G. .... 281,021... 7... 40,146 

"Home" at Dome ....123,562... 4... 30,891 

Richmond Away ..... 398,300.. 11.. 36,209 

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2005, 12:22:27 PM »
Not suprising, i would rather go to a MCG game then a TD game!

At the G we usually win our games.

At the TD we usually lose, and it takes me way longer to get home then it does from the G (good on ya to the man who decided to design the "timetable" for spencer street!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2005, 04:24:36 PM »
and it takes me way longer to get home then it does from the G (good on ya to the man who decided to design the "timetable" for spencer street!

I like watching footy at the Dome but our home games should be at our home ground which is the 'G.

And as for taking longer to get home - what takes forever is getting past that wedge in the concourse that everyone has to squeeze through to get onto the overpass to the station.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2005, 05:59:08 PM »
And as for taking longer to get home - what takes forever is getting past that wedge in the concourse that everyone has to squeeze through to get onto the overpass to the station.

I don’t understand why they aren’t able to make it so that people can stream out of the area, rather than the shemozzle it usually is.  Getting out of the ground itself is ok, but once you’re out of the ground everyone's squeezed together trying to get to where they're going to.  Unless there’s some reason that they aren’t able to build other bridges or walkways to Spencer Street, it just doesn’t seem necessary or logical to have such a limited number of ways to get away from the venue.