Author Topic: Season Summary: what's your make of it on reflection?  (Read 987 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Season Summary: what's your make of it on reflection?
« on: August 29, 2005, 06:25:11 AM »
2005 Season Summary

Finished 12th: 10 wins, 12 losses with a percentage of 92.3.

For: 2022  ( avg: 91.1 )
Agst: 2190  ( avg: 99.5 )

Breakdown of wins/losses

Home: 6-5
Away:  4-7

Day: 9-7
Night: 1-5

MCG: 6-3
Dome: 3-6
Interstate/KP: 1-3

March: 0-1
April: 3-1
May: 4-1
June: 0-3
July: 2-3
August: 1-3

Best winning streak: 4 (rounds 6-9)
Worst losing streak: 5 (rounds 16-20)

We didn't lose to: Hawthorn (x2), Collingwood, Brisbane, Sydney, Essendon.
We didn't defeat: St Kilda (x2), Geelong (x2), Melbourne, West Coast, Adelaide, Kangaroos.

Wins/losses vs quality of opponents

Top 4: 1-4  (the win was the one-pointer against the Swans)
5th-8th: 1-5
9th-12th: 3-2
13th-16th: 5-1

Margins

Average winning: 27.7
Average losing: 37.1

A goal or less: 4-2   
7-18 points: 1-2     
19-36 points: 2-3   
37-60 points: 2-1
60+ points: 1-4

Players

Players used: 34

All 22 games: 9 - Deledio, Pettifer, Newman, Cambo, Simmonds, Richo, Bowden, Cogs, Tuck.
18-21 games: 6 - Graham, Gas, Krakouer, Tivs, Knobel, Johnson.
13-17 games: 5 - Hall, Chaffey, Hyde, Kellaway, Stafford.
8-12 games: 5 - Tambling, Jackson, Hilton, Brown, Hartigan.
4-7 games: 6 - Meyer, Thursfield, Moore, Raines, Foley, Schulz.
1-3 games: 3 - Pattison, Morrison, Roach.
No games: 6 - Rodan, Gilmour, Archibald, Polo, McGuane, Limbach.

Main goalkickers

Richo       65.46
Brown      34.19
Pettifer     31.17
Krakouer  23.11
Simmo     19.23
Stafford   16.9
Deledio    14.10
Cambo    13.6
Tuck       10.14
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

letsgetiton!

Re: Season Summary: what's your make of it on reflection?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 06:44:37 AM »
compared the the past few years this season was a dream come true!
i was sitting in the geelong social club stand yesterday with some clients of mine watching the game and thinking exactly what we have achieved this year.  and by god we have achieved heaps . we got pumped by the cats in rnd 1 by 62 and oanly by 1 pt yesterday and skilled stadium.
i know its an only if but if browny was in the team we would have been playing in september this yr.

ok what have we achieved, well for us tigers we finished on 4 wins and last last yr. this season on 40 pts with 10 wins, 1 game and % out of the finals. the cats on the other hand last yr missed out on the grand final by 1 kick, and this yr are just making up the numbers. our rise has been just as big as geelongs fall this yr and that means gr8 times are ahead.

now, we have found 2 great young kids. deledio and tambling. tamblibng yesterday and in the past few weeks has shown he is just as intelligent and classy in his own way as lids and we will see much more of him next year. lids is a down and out champion and is the next chriss judd but a more improved model!  we have uneartherd the talents of shane tuck, who in my opinion will share the best and fairest with richo. kane pettifer has blossomed this yr and kicked over 30 goals on a flank. then we saw the talents of foley and thursfield. we got a full yr out of cogs, he has had a poor second half and is obv still struggling with that groin, but at least he finished the yr with a gr8 effort v the cats.  newman has been fantastic and yesterday we saw why jay shulz will become a good defender for us and play fwd if needed, is he the next leppitsch, i think so! he is a hard at it footballer with great marking and foot skills.  next yr we will see more of meyer polo and patterson. poo im licking my lips waiting for 2006.
troy simmonds has shown his value in the past weeks and will be better for his run this yr, next yr watch out cos i have a feeling he will dominate.
we lost a few games this yer we should have won and that cost us dearly but over all we had a gr8 season and the best bit is that we know we will get better because we have terry wallace! he has been a mastermind 4 us and his tactics nearly won  the game 4 us yesterday and i believe that even though we had more free kicks we would have won the game is the umpiring was fair! its not about the frees they gave but the ones they blatantly missed!

well done tigers! see u guys at the jack dyer medal night and expect a big 2006 and faster cos brown will be back and rodan will be helping lids and bling burn the grass

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 01:39:27 PM »
i know its an only if but if browny was in the team we would have been playing in september this yr.

Actually I take a different view regarding Brown's injury. I really do believe if we had of won that first game after he broke his leg against the Eagles at the MCG then the season would have/could have been very different. I have always believed and still do that; that game was so costly in so many ways.

Would we have made the finals if Nathan Brown hadn't broken his leg - well I reckon it was more likely than unlikely but we'll never know I suppose. I do agree his poise in a number of games would have probably got us over the line (especially the Freo and Port games interstate)

Although there is a part of me that's disappointed with missing the finals again I am pleased with the improvement. I think we have made big gains in a number of areas. We have some really good kids and it's exciting to know they should improve. Some of the older blokes have improved as well - I mean who would have thought Mark Chaffey would become a tagger? What about Ray Hall - I never thought I sit down and say after a game "we missed Ray Hall today"?

And of course what about Tucky? A gem an absolute gem :thumbsup :bow :thumbsup

Richo was Richo ;D but I have to say I was pleased to see people recognising his leadership qualities. For so long the focus has been on the body language etc while the good stuff has been ignored because it's always been sooooooooooo easy to knock Richo. He was great this year - he has to be a chance for the B&F :thumbsup

« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 01:41:56 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Bulluss

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 03:04:24 PM »
Yeah it has been a great year although we missed the finals.

My positives are:

Lids
Richo, getting better with age
Gaspar and Kellaway(nearly back to their all australian form)
Simmonds second half, he will be much better next after doing a pre season deisgned for to play ruck.
Newman has been fantastic in the back line
Tucky has been one of the finds of the season
Pettifer has emerged as a genuine 30-40 goals a year forward.

Tamling is still unknown for me. He has shown glimpses but still has a long way to go.

Hopefully we will see continued improvement from our youngsters in Meyer, Pattison, Tambling, Lids and co so that we can develop a strong core group.

Wallace's attacking game plan has also been a positive. :thumbsup

Ox

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 03:25:36 PM »
To me it seems as though the seasons are getting shorter.

All in all I would sum up 2005 as a good start to a 5 year plan.

Deficiencied are glaringly obvious but i feel the right steps are being taken to rectify this.

The blooding og Thursfield,Lids,Tambling,Foley are all signs of the future.

Im looking forward to seeing a fit,keen Jay Schulz next year dominating in the forward line.

Even though we fell away in the second half of the season(again) I was impressed on the couple of occassions we actually showed resolve,especially in the come from behind victories.

Narrow losses to the Power and the Weagles,in hindsight,show a competitive core form within the
new structure,led by Shane Tuck.

Yes we finished where we have so many times before but this time i believe we have a future.

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 03:26:06 PM »
Deledio.

Quite simple.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 10:56:54 PM »
For me, 2005 has been a lot about promise for the future.  From new to established players to a new attacking game plan, there’s been a bit to get excited about for the seasons ahead.

– TW has to take a lot of credit for bringing back some respect to the club in so many ways, both on and off the field.  From this year on, I don’t know that other clubs will look at Richmond the same way they have in previous seasons and one of the reasons for that is the more competitive edge the team is developing.  There were a number of games throughout the season that showed greater resolve within the team.  Even though there were a few ‘familiar’ type losses that said we still have a long way to go, there were some signs to be encouraged by.

– As someone who likes to keep an eye on the coaching side of things, it was just as much a relief, as it was exciting, to see that we now have coaching staff who will push players outside their comfort zone, to get more and better out of them than they believe they are capable of.

– A number of less experienced players had better than expected seasons and a fair amount of the credit for that should go to the coaching staff for showing some faith and confidence in them.

– It’s one thing to recruit quality players, another to have them play the way they are capable of.  Brett Deledio gives you hope to think that we’re finally coming out of the wilderness and into a new era, and not just because he’s got a lot of talent and ability.  The fact he played all 22 games this season and won the NAB AFL Rising Star award also says the coaches must be doing something right too.

– Some of the more experienced players came back to some good form, or even showed better than expected form, which is a big plus from past seasons.

– If nothing else, we know we have a group of players who are at least prepared to take on and learn new and different ways.  Regardless of where we finished at the end of 2005, it was very much an improvement on anything from past seasons.  The challenge now is to build on that base.

If we stick to TW’s plan, then we can finally hope to see some exciting footy played by some exciting and talented players over the next few seasons.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 01:32:02 AM »
Finished up pretty much where I expected, 8-10 wins and either 11 0r 12th on the ladder.

It was pretty exciting at times as well as some "oh no here we go again" times.

Would have been good to have made the finals, but I'm kind of glad that we didn't because it leaves us without a false sense of security. Am expecting much of the same next year.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.