Author Topic: Trent Cotchin can stop Fremantle star Nat Fyfe, says Cameron Ling (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1972 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond skipper Trent Cotchin can stop Fremantle star Nat Fyfe, says Cameron Ling

Jon Ralph
    Herald Sun
    June 02, 2015

FORMER Geelong stopper Cameron Ling says Nathan Fyfe is almost untaggable, flagging Richmond’s Trent Cotchin as the man to limit his damage on Friday night.

Fyfe is in awesome form, with some pundits believing he has polled Brownlow Medal votes in every match this year.

Cotchin this weekend labelled Fyfe as a “freak”, conceding no other side had been able to curtail him with a tag this year.

Geelong’s Cam Guthrie was the only pure tagger to try, battered as Fyfe had 19 possessions and three goals on him in 55 minutes in Round 2.

Cats premiership captain Ling says Richmond attempting to play Taylor Hunt on Fyfe would be futile, aware Richmond can only limit his breathtaking output.

“Unless you have got a tagger who can do it then don’t try to tag (Fyfe),’’ Ling told the Herald Sun.

“I think they will run a normal midfield against him but you need a mechanism around stoppages so you don’t let him out the attacking side.

“You back your system in, but if he does win it, it’s not dangerous ball movement, it’s a quick kick or a rushed handball.

“They would hope to keep him to 25 (possessions) but if he gets 25 or 30 and they are under pressure, they can live with that.

“If you put a player like Cotchin on Fyfe at stoppages then Cotchin would back himself to read it and have an impact.

“Then you can back yourself and if your team wins it you keep going forward knowing if the ball does get turned over someone has an awareness who goes to Fyfe.”

The Tigers could also decide on an ultra-aggressive approach, playing an offensive weapon like Brett Deledio to hurt Fyfe the other way.

Cotchin said after the Tigers’ third straight win Fyfe seemed unstoppable.

“We might let him go. We may as well, no one seems to go near him,” he joked.

“He has got that height which helps around the stoppage and he also pushes forward. He is a freak, everyone loves watching him play and maybe we will let him do his business and shut down every other avenue to goal,” he told 3AW.

Star midfielder Brandon Ellis also put his hand up to play on Fyfe if asked by coach Damien Hardwick, with Kamdyn McIntosh and Shaun Grigg possible solutions given the lack of a tagging weapon.

The lack of taggers in the competition has seen Fyfe able to do as he pleases in most games.

In Round 1 against Port Adelaide Kane Cornes went to Stephen Hill, in Round 2 he burnt Guthrie, in Round 4 against Sydney he wasn’t tagged and in Round 5 Demon Heritier Lumumba allowed him 14 touches in 43 minutes.

In Round 6 Dyson Heppell was one of several Bombers to play on him while in Round 7 Bulldog Mitch Wallis, who kept him to 14 touches last year, played on him for only six minutes.

Fyfe on Monday night picked up the maximum 10 votes in the AFL Coaches Award, giving him 78 of a possible 90 votes.

The Tigers have won their past two games at Subiaco Oval — both against West Coast — but have lost their past three matches to Fremantle there.

Ling would have loved the chance to play on Fyfe despite the challenge it represents, but few clubs now have dedicated taggers.

“I loved the challenge of playing on blokes as good as Fyfe and in your own head you believe you can limit them,” he said.

“You have got to be at your best for the challenge. But Brett Kirk or Kane Cornes at his best, they would go into a game thinking I can limit this bloke and have an impact in helping my team win.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-skipper-trent-cotchin-can-stop-fremantle-star-nat-fyfe-says-cameron-ling/story-fnp04d70-1227378596940

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
"Star midfielder Brandon Ellis also put his hand up to play on Fyfe"

^^This, has the tank to go with him everywhere including the dunny at half time. Must be considered an option. What we cant do is try someone and then wait 2-3 quarters to realise its not working. Maybe Hardwick will rotate 3 players on him to ware him down and also have him guessing how they will play on him.

DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Richmond skipper Trent Cotchin can stop Fremantle star Nat Fyfe, says Cameron Ling

Jon Ralph
    Herald Sun
    June 02, 2015

FORMER Geelong stopper Cameron Ling says Nathan Fyfe is almost untaggable, flagging Richmond’s Trent Cotchin as the man to limit his damage on Friday night.

Fyfe is in awesome form, with some pundits believing he has polled Brownlow Medal votes in every match this year.

Cotchin this weekend labelled Fyfe as a “freak”, conceding no other side had been able to curtail him with a tag this year.

Geelong’s Cam Guthrie was the only pure tagger to try, battered as Fyfe had 19 possessions and three goals on him in 55 minutes in Round 2.

Cats premiership captain Ling says Richmond attempting to play Taylor Hunt on Fyfe would be futile, aware Richmond can only limit his breathtaking output.

“Unless you have got a tagger who can do it then don’t try to tag (Fyfe),’’ Ling told the Herald Sun.

“I think they will run a normal midfield against him but you need a mechanism around stoppages so you don’t let him out the attacking side.

“You back your system in, but if he does win it, it’s not dangerous ball movement, it’s a quick kick or a rushed handball.

“They would hope to keep him to 25 (possessions) but if he gets 25 or 30 and they are under pressure, they can live with that.

“If you put a player like Cotchin on Fyfe at stoppages then Cotchin would back himself to read it and have an impact.

“Then you can back yourself and if your team wins it you keep going forward knowing if the ball does get turned over someone has an awareness who goes to Fyfe.”

The Tigers could also decide on an ultra-aggressive approach, playing an offensive weapon like Brett Deledio to hurt Fyfe the other way.

Cotchin said after the Tigers’ third straight win Fyfe seemed unstoppable.

“We might let him go. We may as well, no one seems to go near him,” he joked.

“He has got that height which helps around the stoppage and he also pushes forward. He is a freak, everyone loves watching him play and maybe we will let him do his business and shut down every other avenue to goal,” he told 3AW.

Star midfielder Brandon Ellis also put his hand up to play on Fyfe if asked by coach Damien Hardwick, with Kamdyn McIntosh and Shaun Grigg possible solutions given the lack of a tagging weapon.

The lack of taggers in the competition has seen Fyfe able to do as he pleases in most games.

In Round 1 against Port Adelaide Kane Cornes went to Stephen Hill, in Round 2 he burnt Guthrie, in Round 4 against Sydney he wasn’t tagged and in Round 5 Demon Heritier Lumumba allowed him 14 touches in 43 minutes.

In Round 6 Dyson Heppell was one of several Bombers to play on him while in Round 7 Bulldog Mitch Wallis, who kept him to 14 touches last year, played on him for only six minutes.

Fyfe on Monday night picked up the maximum 10 votes in the AFL Coaches Award, giving him 78 of a possible 90 votes.

The Tigers have won their past two games at Subiaco Oval — both against West Coast — but have lost their past three matches to Fremantle there.

Ling would have loved the chance to play on Fyfe despite the challenge it represents, but few clubs now have dedicated taggers.

“I loved the challenge of playing on blokes as good as Fyfe and in your own head you believe you can limit them,” he said.

“You have got to be at your best for the challenge. But Brett Kirk or Kane Cornes at his best, they would go into a game thinking I can limit this bloke and have an impact in helping my team win.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-skipper-trent-cotchin-can-stop-fremantle-star-nat-fyfe-says-cameron-ling/story-fnp04d70-1227378596940
:lol
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
How did we take Griff pick before Fyfe ?  :banghead
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame

That was explained last week or week before on Daniel Harford ' pure footy segment with Troy Luff and David King
From what I understand,  he was a skinny lanky forward looking type who had played limited junior footy or something along those lines. No one knew he would become what he has... well aside from Freo and even then I thinkhe has eclipsed their eexpectations.

There were 18 draft choices made that day prior to Griff and Fyfe being taking so everyone missed out not just us.
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
As they say, hindsight has 20/20 vision......
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Read lines 8 and 9  :shh

http://www.farmweekly.com.au/news/agriculture/agribusiness/general-news/afl-stars-passion-for-ag/2724630.aspx

AN address by star Fremantle Dockers midfielder Nat Fyfe at last week’s WAFarmers business breakfast provided a perfect warm up to a busy conference schedule.

The star Fremantle Dockers midfielder looked completely at ease as he addressed a room full of farmers and industry representatives at the breakfast and while his speech was often on the light-hearted side, he also had some serious messages for those in the room.

His passion for agriculture and the rural transport industry were clearly evident throughout his talk.

“My parents are transport operators, so I have always had a real passion for transport, for agriculture and for footy,” he said.

“My footy journey started in Lake Grace when I was six or seven – about the same time I learnt to drive a truck.

“I was lucky enough to play for Claremont and was then picked up by Fremantle.

“My favourite players as a junior were James Hird and Matthew Richardson.

“I was actually a passionate Richmond supporter when I was younger and my least favourite team was the Dockers – I absolutely hated them.

“This was to the extent that at the AFL draft camp, two weeks before the AFL draft, I was trying desperately to get in front of the Richmond recruiters, but they weren’t interested in me at all.

“Then I heard Freo was interested so I was trying to do everything possible so they wouldn’t pick me up.

“But I ended up there and my journey with Freo has been fantastic so far, with the highlight being playing in the 2013 grand final.”

Fyfe said speaking in agricultural and regional areas was something he was passionate about.

“I feel I am a product of the country and of my environment when I was younger,” he said.

“But as a spokesperson for Fyfe Transport and the Livestock Carriers Association, I do have a message for WA farmers that run livestock – build some decent loading ramps!

“I have had all sorts of fun over the years carting sheep and I really love it and most of the time they will run pretty smoothly, but often I will turn up to a farm and the yards are built out of old bedheads and sleepers or a farmer with an over enthusiastic dog that puts the sheep through the portable yards. There was even an instance when I turned up to an ex-WAFarmers president’s place who instead of sheep dog had a cat!

“But if you can all have good loading ramps in place that would be appreciated.”

Fyfe said as someone who grew up in the country, but now spends a lot of time in the city, he often sees farmers portrayed in mainstream media as backwards and less than sophisticated.

“We also have some groups wanting to portray farmers as cruel, usually to serve their own agendas,” he said.

“What I want people to know is that this is not the case. To simply survive against ever-increasing costs, the farmer must adopt the latest technology. Simply look a the size of the cropping equipment, the extent of GPS technology and automatic weighing and drafting systems that farmers have access to now. Not to mention all the new loading ramps that you are going to race out and build for me!”

So what does life after footy have in store for Nat Fyfe?

“I don’t really have a clue,” he said.

“I am going to take some time off and go surfing and have a few beers.

“But I have a passion for transport and for agriculture. I am also almost fully qualified as a helicopter pilot and I can see myself possibly moving into that industry.”

The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame

What about Fiona before Pav

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
What about Tambling before Franklin?

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens

http://www.farmweekly.com.au/news/agriculture/agribusiness/general-news/afl-stars-passion-for-ag/2724630.aspx

AN address by star Fremantle Dockers midfielder Nat Fyfe at last week’s WAFarmers business breakfast provided a perfect warm up to a busy conference schedule.

The star Fremantle Dockers midfielder looked completely at ease as he addressed a room full of farmers and industry representatives at the breakfast and while his speech was often on the light-hearted side, he also had some serious messages for those in the room.

His passion for agriculture and the rural transport industry were clearly evident throughout his talk.

“My parents are transport operators, so I have always had a real passion for transport, for agriculture and for footy,” he said.

“My footy journey started in Lake Grace when I was six or seven – about the same time I learnt to drive a truck.

“I was actually a passionate Richmond supporter when I was younger and my least favourite team was the Dockers – I absolutely hated them.

“This was to the extent that at the AFL draft camp, two weeks before the AFL draft, I was trying desperately to get in front of the Richmond recruiters, but they weren’t interested in me at all.

“Then I heard Freo was interested so I was trying to do everything possible so they wouldn’t pick me up.

“But I ended up there and my journey with Freo has been fantastic so far, with the highlight being playing in the 2013 grand final.”

Fyfe said speaking in agricultural and regional areas was something he was passionate about.

“I feel I am a product of the country and of my environment when I was younger,” he said.

“But as a spokesperson for Fyfe Transport and the Livestock Carriers Association, I do have a message for WA farmers that run livestock – build some decent loading ramps!

“I have had all sorts of fun over the years carting sheep and I really love it and most of the time they will run pretty smoothly, but often I will turn up to a farm and the yards are built out of old bedheads and sleepers or a farmer with an over enthusiastic dog that puts the sheep through the portable yards. There was even an instance when I turned up to an ex-WAFarmers president’s place who instead of sheep dog had a cat!

“But if you can all have good loading ramps in place that would be appreciated.”

Fyfe said as someone who grew up in the country, but now spends a lot of time in the city, he often sees farmers portrayed in mainstream media as backwards and less than sophisticated.

“We also have some groups wanting to portray farmers as cruel, usually to serve their own agendas,” he said.

“What I want people to know is that this is not the case. To simply survive against ever-increasing costs, the farmer must adopt the latest technology. Simply look a the size of the cropping equipment, the extent of GPS technology and automatic weighing and drafting systems that farmers have access to now. Not to mention all the new loading ramps that you are going to race out and build for me!”

“But I have a passion for transport and for agriculture. I am also almost fully qualified as a helicopter pilot and I can see myself possibly moving into that industry.”

This is just one of gods cruel jokes he plays on us each year
Lots of people name their swords......

tony_montana

That was explained last week or week before on Daniel Harford ' pure footy segment with Troy Luff and David King
From what I understand,  he was a skinny lanky forward looking type who had played limited junior footy or something along those lines. No one knew he would become what he has... well aside from Freo and even then I thinkhe has eclipsed their eexpectations.

There were 18 draft choices made that day prior to Griff and Fyfe being taking so everyone missed out not just us.

yep spot on

tony_montana

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
What draft year was that ?
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Why worry about stopping anybody? The solution is not to stop people the solution is to play better than them.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
agreed. send cotch out to go head to head with him
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI