Author Topic: Alex Rance takes on Josh Kennedy in battle that could decide Rich-WCE clash (HS)  (Read 1996 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Alex Rance takes on Josh Kennedy in battle that could decide Richmond-West Coast clash

Jon Ralph
Herald-Sun
June 16, 2015 8:00PM

THE SCIENCE nerds refer to it as the irresistible force paradox: when an unstoppable force collides with an immovable object.

In the AFL’s theatre of dreams it means this: what happens when the AFL’s best defender (Alex Rance) runs into its very best key forward (Josh Kennedy)?

On Friday night those two AFL juggernauts collide, and a dominant performance from either might decide the contest.

After so many rolled-gold Friday night stinkers (thank you Carlton), this one-on-one battle might be worth the price of admission alone.

Here are the statistics which form the prelude to a key position version of Nathan Fyfe versus Patrick Dangerfield.

In the blue corner is Alex Rance, who in 10 games of football has been outmarked in a one-on-one contest just three times.

Yep, three times in 40 quarters of footy.

You remember Melbourne’s Jesse Hogan torching him that night as a boy became a man, but only one other player (Jay Schulz) has outmarked him in a one-on-one contest.

As it turned out, Hogan’s two goals were the only time a player has kicked multiple goals on him, the miserly Rance conceding a grand total of eight majors all year.

In the red corner is West Coast’s Josh Kennedy, streeting the field in the Coleman Medal with a lead of an amazing nine goals.

Fyfe is a world of his own when it comes to marking contests — and is often afford size mismatches — but Kennedy is the best marking forward after winning 44 per cent of his one-on-one contests.

His 4.4 marks inside 50 per game ranks him no. 1 in the competition, but he gets you on the ground too, his 2.4 ground-ball wins inside 50 considered elite for a key forward.

If he marks the ball his lethal right foot nails the chances — with his 43.23 this year proof of his accuracy.

When Rance wins the ball he surges up field hitting targets at a kick rating of +15.1 per cent — ranking him no. 1 for any key defender.

So whoever wins those battles will hurt his opponent with the resultant possession.

Terms of reference set?

Let’s get ready to rumble.

West Coast’s only Coleman Medallist Scott Cummings (88 goals in 1999) is the perfect man to analyse the contest given he is also a close family friend of the Rance family.

“It will be an absolute belter of a contest,’’ he said.

“Alex is an absolute dynamo, he doesn’t know the expression give up. He goes at 100 per cent at every contest and if you are going to take marks on you he will earn it.

“Alex is the perfect matchup for JK. He leads strong, he knows when to lead and where to lead, you rarely see him having shots from the pockets and he has the courage to lead up the centre of the ground and he finishes well.

“He is good in the air and when it’s on the deck, so when the ball hits the ground he’s not out of the contest which is what makes him so versatile.”

Kennedy has beaten up on plenty of moderate sides in the past few years, last season ranking only equal 62nd for scoreboard impact against the top eight sides.

If he can take Rance’s scalp — like Hogan before him — any remaining questions will be erased.

On Friday night Matt Priddis will shape up against Trent Cotchin, Brett Deledio might get Shannon Hurn at times and Ivan Maric will attempt to neutralise ruck opponent Nic Naitanui.

It might not be Wayne Carey versus Glenn Jakovich, but as an equivalent for the modern era it’s not far short.

http://www.news.com.au/national/alex-rance-takes-on-josh-kennedy-in-battle-that-could-decide-richmond-west-coast-clash/story-e6frfkp9-1227401060979

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
this will be a fantastic contest. Rance's ability to take on Franklin means at least on paper he should come out on top. I just hope he doesn't get have an off day like he did against Hogan or Kennedy will kick 10

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Midfield pressure is going to have a big say as well, so Kennedy isn't left one-out with space to lead into. We can't afford to give them easy clearances. Our use of tempo footy in the past month has meant we've had numbers behind the ball and through the corridor.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
Chaplin didn't play vs Melbourne and our defensive structure went out the window meaning Rance was caught trying to help out the others & I think for that reason Hogan had the better of him in a couple of contests, add to that the whole team was playing rubbish footy at the time.
The club that keeps giving.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Funny how everybody, especially Melbourne supporters, say that Hogan gave Rance an absolute bath LOL.

OK so he out-marked him twice. Kicked two goals.

If Kennedy does as much I'll be happy with Rance's effort. But knowing Rance he'll be aiming for 0 marks and 0 goals conceded...

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Funny how everybody, especially Melbourne supporters, say that Hogan gave Rance an absolute bath LOL.

If Kennedy does as much I'll be happy with Rance's effort. But knowing Rance he'll be aiming for 0 marks and 0 goals conceded...
I agree, Hogan did ok but the talking up of it has been way over the top. Good luck to the kid though, I do like to see young up and coming KPPs. The kid is definitely going to be a very good player.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks

If Rance wins the contest all good.

If Kennedy kicks 10 then I will quite happily remind the Carlton supporters of what they gave away for Judd.

:cheers

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Spoken like a true North supporter....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

tony_montana

agreed

dwaino

They reminisce on round 4 as if they won the flag that day.

Meanwhile in the top 8...

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame

The tigers have given me near nothing in 33 years, almost double that for melbourne supporters and just let that sink in.
I hope there is one reading now, so hopeless, desperate and pathetic their club is.. almost as pathetic as n0rf  :shh
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

dwaino

The tigers have given me near nothing in 33 years, almost double that for melbourne supporters and just let that sink in.
I hope there is one reading now, so hopeless, desperate and pathetic their club is.. almost as pathetic as n0rf  :shh

They apparently have 12 flags, but archaeologists are still trying to find evidence of them all.

Offline Zlatan

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
i didnt watch the melbourne game

but one of the few times i can remember rance being beaten was in the collingwood thumping when cloke kicked a bag

that day his fellow defenders gave him no chop out. and the midfield was rubbish

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame

Yeah Hogan won but gave Rance a bath? LOL indeed