Author Topic: We still can't handle the pressure of expectation  (Read 1233 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: We still can't handle the pressure of expectation
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2015, 12:43:48 PM »

I would play Menadue again and give McIntosh another go even though I think he has struggled in the last few weeks. The exposure against Sydney and their discipline, hardness and toughness in the long run will teach the kids more than playing Newy right now ever will.

Really good point Don, absolutely agree

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2015, 12:51:59 PM »

I would play Menadue again and give McIntosh another go even though I think he has struggled in the last few weeks. The exposure against Sydney and their discipline, hardness and toughness in the long run will teach the kids more than playing Newy right now ever will.

Really good point Don, absolutely agree

Absolutely WP. The odds are against us and given the form the Swans are in atm they are the likely winners. At least playing the kids in the side already and replacing a kid for a kid will teach the kids more and provide us more importantly with a long term win and some first hand practical experience for the kids.

A win under that scenario will be the best possible result for both short and long term club prospects.

Newy needs a send off at the G v Gold Coast round 21. The next and only time he should be selected.

dwaino

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2015, 01:43:24 PM »
I'm more upset about losing he Melbourne and bulldogs games. Last night sucked but you can't win them all and fair enough we were off our game and rightfully lost to a decent side. Those other games we should have still won playing poorly as that's what good sides do.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2015, 03:08:12 PM »
Tigers can't handle expectation

Author: Ben Hocking, Bradley Dawson and Glenn Valencich
Sportsfan
June 23, 2015

Five minutes into Friday night's game, Damien Hardwick and all Richmond fans knew which Tigers had turned up to play – and it wasn't the sure-footed, precise team that tore Fremantle apart the fortnight before. The 'bad' Richmond butchered the ball numerous times early, missing targets and/or kicking it to West Coast players while under little or no pressure, setting the tone for a lacklustre night. The Eagles' defence completely stifled the home side's supposedly dangerous forward line, and with Nic Naitanui dominating in the centre plus around the ground the Eagles never looked like losing a game they had every right to: it was their third match in 13 days, which included trips to Hobart and Melbourne, their best defender Jeremy McGovern was still proppy, and the Tigers had had an extra week's rest. But then again, it was no surprise to see the boys in yellow and black fail to handle being favourites yet again. If there is one thing you can predict about this unpredictable Tigers side it's that they will struggle with expectation and, conversely, they frequently play better when no one gives them a chance. The bye came at just the wrong time for the Tigers, too. If they had played the Eagles the week after beating the Dockers, who knows how they might have fared. And with a game next week against the mighty Swans and everyone tipping against the Tigers, you just know the boys from Punt Road are probably half a chance. Who'd be a Tiger supporter?

http://www.sportsfan.com.au/era-of-irrelevance-at-an-end/tabid/91/newsid/165267/default.aspx?cid=SF_LOWDOWN_AFL_article_eraofirrelevanceatanend_220615

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2015, 05:58:35 PM »
Sadly it is our B graders that are letting us down.

Thought our better players on the list were ok last night but blokes the like Hunt and Chaplin and a few others let us down at critical times.

I'm hoping if Ellis misses he is replaced by a kid and not Newman.

Agree. Good test for the younger players. Gives them a bench mark to aspire to.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2015, 06:10:16 PM »
Don't tell Damien Houdini.

He'll spin the stuff out! :shh
Caracella and Balmey.