Author Topic: AFL’s tough 23-player stance to get games away/ Tigers linked to Dandy Stingrays  (Read 1148 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The AFL is likely to compel clubs to play with fewer than 23 available players, using top-up players from the state leagues, if teams are again stricken with high numbers of COVID-19 cases during the season.

If, for example, a club had 10 injuries and then another 11 players unable to play due to COVID cases – reducing its list from 44 to 23 in a given week – the AFL’s view is that the game would go ahead and, indeed, that the game would likely be played if the club had at least 21 or 22 players.

While the league is planning contingencies for outbreaks during the upcoming season, several clubs have expressed optimism that top-ups are unlikely to be needed, given that they have 43 or 44 players, counting rookies.

The AFL is considering that clubs use their VFL, SANFL or WAFL listed players – who are not currently on the senior list – as prospective top-up players in the event of COVID outbreaks. It is also possible that the clubs draw from a centralised pool of state league footballers, which would allow them to select players to fill specific holes, such as a ruckman.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/fewer-than-23-and-they-play-afl-s-tough-stance-to-get-games-away-20220207-p59ucn.html
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 03:34:15 PM by one-eyed »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Fewer than 23 and they play: AFL’s tough stance to get games away (Age)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 10:22:42 AM »
Surely the easiest thing is get Clubs to use their VFL, SANFL or WAFL listed players

So in Richmond’s case we use our VFL listed players?

I'm not sure why the AFL are making yhis out to be such a huge issue

Oh wait, I've answered my own question
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers to be linked with Dandenong Stingrays for top ups (Foxsports)
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 03:32:57 PM »
We're going to be linked with our VFL side and the Dandenong Stingrays for our top ups.

--------------------------------------------------

WHERE WOULD THEY GET THE REPLACEMENTS FROM?

The state leagues were already frustrated when their sides were raided via the mid-season draft, but 2022 could be a more extreme version of that.

Nine reported Victorian teams would be tied to a VFL team, and then to a NAB League (under-19s) side below that, keeping each competition going under one plan which dates back to the height of the pandemic in 2020.

The logical outcome could see AFL clubs able to pick players from their own VFL (or other state league) sides if they have them.

In Victoria, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong, Hawthorn (Box Hill), Melbourne (Casey), North Melbourne, Richmond, St Kilda (Sandringham) and the Western Bulldogs (Footscray) all have established VFL links.

The Nine report stated the Victorian clubs would then be linked with NAB League sides, most based on geography: Carlton with the Northern Knights, Collingwood with the Oakleigh Chargers, Essendon with the Calder Cannons, Geelong with the Geelong Falcons, Hawthorn with Eastern Ranges, Melbourne with Gippsland Power, North Melbourne with the Murray Bushrangers, Richmond with the Dandenong Stingrays, St Kilda with the Sandringham Dragons, and the Western Bulldogs with North Ballarat.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2022-replacement-players-afl-links-to-vfl-and-state-league-teams-winners-and-losers-from-topup-plans-news/news-story/dcdc7c133d487f4cb2afb117214d6acc

Offline Jonesracing82

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Fewer than 23 and they play: AFL’s tough stance to get games away (Age)
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2022, 11:41:50 PM »
Surely the easiest thing is get Clubs to use their VFL, SANFL or WAFL listed players

So in Richmond’s case we use our VFL listed players?

I'm not sure why the AFL are making yhis out to be such a huge issue

Oh wait, I've answered my own question
This right here, case closed