Author Topic: Stopping Saints' surge shows Tigers have learnt lessons (Age)  (Read 1961 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Stopping Saints' surge shows Tigers have learnt lessons

Michael Gleeson
     The Age
    July 21, 2015

When St Kilda started marching home against Richmond on Sunday a few things happened. Richmond didn't goal, but they did halt the Saints' scoring. The players responded in a way they previously would not have, ruckman Ivan Maric said.

"It wasn't pretty and I thought we did all right to slow them down when they got the momentum," Maric said.

"We are making a lot of calls as players out on the field to stop teams' momentum and I don't think we were doing that two or three years ago, so that is the good thing about the leadership we have shown on the field. It is not just one player, it is eight to 10 guys who are standing up and setting the standards.

"I was playing forward then and I probably should have put my hand up and got up there a bit more because I love being in the action and taking control but having said that Shaun (Hampson) did well."

Maric said the nature of the 16-point win reminded his team that against any opposition the fundamentals of how they play must remain the same.

"Contested ball, clearances, tackles all those little things are fundamentals for us. We have to play the Richmond way for four quarters because if we don't we are going to get beaten. Luckily we did it for not four quarters but for long enough to get the win.

"It's a good reminder for everyone and we still won the game. We have got a huge one coming up this week and it is going to require four quarters."

Richmond now confronts its most defining period for whether they can yet claim fourth place. Fremantle at home and then Hawthorn in back-to-back weeks is the brace of games they have eyed for several weeks.

Damien Hardwick also acknowledged after the game that while it was satisfying to beat teams they were expected to beat, being challenged now against teams above them on the ladder was the crucial stage.

Richmond's win over Fremantle at Subiaco was the upset that enhanced the Tigers' claims – after a sluggish start – to be a deserving top-four candidate. The victory over Sydney away weeks later only enhanced that view.

"Freo would be pretty dirty about how they played against us last time and it's not going to be like that at all this time I think," Maric said. "They are a really disciplined team and that is what we are trying to be as well so it is pretty exciting really."

For Maric the contest holds the added challenge of taking on Aaron Sandilands but he is comfortable with how his own form has gone this season both in the ruck and being able to press forward.

"That's important for me when it comes down to selection I want the team and coaches to feel a lot of trust when I am in the ruck, because the heat is on and with big games coming up against some really good teams you want your best players around the footy."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/stopping-saints-surge-shows-tigers-have-learnt-lessons-20150720-gigil8.html

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: Stopping Saints' surge shows Tigers have learnt lessons (Age)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 07:24:44 AM »
Did we halt them? I thought the Saints just ran out of legs.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 07:33:59 AM »
We changed how we were playing and slowed it right down. Not saying Saints didn't fatigue but we did stop panicking. Still a poo quarter and takes the fun out of our win for me anyway. I suppose the fact that we did manage to win is a very small positive.

Third quarter was good though.  :thumbsup

dwaino

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 07:42:45 AM »
Did we halt them? I thought the Saints just ran out of legs.

Or time.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 09:29:43 AM »
just  :rollin fmd  :banghead

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 11:48:23 AM »
We did stop them. We finally got our hands on the footy and took the sting out of the game. Not sure stopping the Saints is News worthy though.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 12:42:17 PM »
Poofters
Caracella and Balmey.

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 02:15:16 PM »
We won another game in the last quarter by being the fitter & harder side.  Is that bad? 
I know I always hated being the young tear-away side that got beaten by fitter teams who were just harder than us, it always seemed like such a non-football way to lose a match.  It even looked like cheating when our young & talented side got done by nothing more than fitness & mental toughness.
All this win lacked was 2-3 goals at the end to finish the game off (we had some late shots & missed them!).  We just needed to kick those late goals to turn this type of ugly win into a really positive, solid & mature win.
We are close to being the mature side we need to be to win finals matches, its good to be the bad guys who spoil the youngsters party, embrace it!     :santa
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 02:59:04 PM »
We won another game in the last quarter by being the fitter & harder side.  Is that bad? 
I know I always hated being the young tear-away side that got beaten by fitter teams who were just harder than us, it always seemed like such a non-football way to lose a match.  It even looked like cheating when our young & talented side got done by nothing more than fitness & mental toughness.
All this win lacked was 2-3 goals at the end to finish the game off (we had some late shots & missed them!).  We just needed to kick those late goals to turn this type of ugly win into a really positive, solid & mature win.
We are close to being the mature side we need to be to win finals matches, its good to be the bad guys who spoil the youngsters party, embrace it!     :santa

Lost to the young doggies  >:(
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 03:05:20 PM »
Melbourne too  :facepalm
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

tony_montana

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 03:59:19 PM »
putting a positive spin aon being on the receiving end of a 6 goal to nil last qtr? fmd  :lol

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 04:26:40 PM »
Melbourne too  :facepalm
arn't the Dees older than us on average player age?

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 05:01:46 PM »
putting a positive spin aon being on the receiving end of a 6 goal to nil last qtr? fmd  :lol

Spot on

What a pack of imbeciles.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 06:24:48 PM »

Factually correct
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018