Author Topic: Hardwick's press conference - July 30 / Dimma challenges angry Tigers  (Read 2780 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick challenges angry AFL Tigers

Source: AAP
30 Jul 2015 - 2:06pm

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has challenged his angry Tigers to attack Hawthorn head-on when the sides meet in Friday night's blockbuster clash.

The rampaging Hawks have stormed back into outright premiership favouritism on the back of an eight-game winning streak and inflicted the heaviest loss in Carlton's history on the Blues last week.

Richmond's top-four aspirations took a hit when Fremantle pinched a thriller at the MCG but Hardwick said his players spent little time despairing over the result.

"The disappointment turned to anger but that anger has got to turn into performance," Hardwick said on Thursday.

"The great thing about our group is they're pretty resilient.

"You can sit there and be dictated to by what (Hawthorn) do and how they play ... the fact of the matter is they're playing some really good football but so are we." The loss also cost the Tigers key talls Ben Griffiths (finger) and Shaun Hampson (ankle) for the match against the Hawks.

Griffiths is in danger of missing the rest of the season after undergoing surgery but Hampson is a chance to resume next week.

Fifth-placed Richmond have enjoyed reasonable success against the Hawks in recent times, having won two of their past three encounters, which Hardwick put down to his side's dominance in contested possession.

"There's a template there that we like but it's easier said than done," the coach said.

"It's easy to have the answers but to get the equation is probably the difficult thing against a quality side like Hawthorn."

The Tigers will wear their Dreamtime guernseys on Friday night in a show of support for Adam Goodes, who has taken a leave of absence from Sydney over the booing controversy.

Hardwick said the move to wear the guernsey celebrating indigenous culture came about from a conversation between the Tigers' leadership group and indigenous midfielder Shane Edwards.

"The fact of the matter is that it's bullying at best and racism at worst," Hardwick said of the booing of Goodes.

"We just wanted to throw our support (behind Adam). It's not something the AFL community wants to see ... one of the greats of our game not playing because of this impact.

"Our players have made a stand and want to support Goodesy in this way."

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/07/30/hardwick-challenges-angry-afl-tigers

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond has tough run home but Tigers are up to the challenge

Eliza Sewell & Lauren Wood
Herald-Sun
July 30, 2015 12:18PM

DAMIEN Hardwick says the Tigers have the belief to upset the raging Hawks on Friday night.

Richmond will be without talls Shaun Hampson (ankle) and Ben Griffiths (finger) but will regain Ty Vickery after a two-game suspension and Liam McBean is a likely inclusion.

Hardwick said after almost upsetting Fremantle and a solid season, Richmond had proven it was capable of matching it with the best.

“Our form over the course of not only the recent but the form over the last six to 12 months has been pretty respectful,” Hardwick said.

“(We’ve) won a lot of football games, played some good opposition and have got the job done.

“The faith we’ve got in this group from a coaching-playing group is outstanding.

“We think we’re capable when we play our best of beating the best.

“This is a great challenge for our boys. We’re very confident that if we play our best footy we can get the points.”

He said Vickery would be keen to perform well.

“He’s an important player for us,” he said.

“Our thing with Ty is he does tread a fine line, the majority of those agressive players do.

“He probably knows he owes us a couple of big games and hopefully this is one of the weeks he repays that.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-has-tough-run-home-but-chris-newman-says-tigers-are-up-to-the-challenge/story-fndv8t7m-1227462814585

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
We should just play dirty - now that would be a fitting tribute to Adam Goodes....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
We should just play dirty - now that would be a fitting tribute to Adam Goodes....

not that i ever saw him as a consistent dirty player, but that's pretty funny

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

tony_montana

would you call him dirty if he wasn't black??

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
well, if i, called him similar to what i call ballantyne id be hung drawn and quartered
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame

Reckon I never called Matthews, Brereton, Dipper, Rhys-Jones, Lockett, Baker, Lloyd, Libba, Romero, Dimmatina, C.Brown, Cox, Judd, Crowley, Ballantyne etc dirty?
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

tony_montana

racist  :police:

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame

Ol sliding knees Goodesey. Helped change a rule but hey let's not get all racist
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame

Ol sliding knees Goodesey. Helped change a rule but hey let's not get all racist

I propose, that instead of booing - which is apparently too open to interpretation, perhaps we start a chant/song to explain things more clearly...something along the lines of this:

(to the tune of "Knees up Mother Brown")

Knees Up Adam Goodes!
Knees Up Adam Goodes!

You Wonder Why We Boo
They Changed A Rule
Because Of You

Sliding With Your
Knees Up Adam Goodes!

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Hardwick's press conference - July 30 / Dimma challenges angry Tigers
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 09:24:41 PM »
well, if i, called him similar to what i call ballantyne id be hung drawn and quartered

And you would then be a racist.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 06:23:14 AM »

So it's not what you say, nor is it how you say it but it's who you direct toward that matters  :thumbsup got it.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 12:25:50 PM »

:huh

yes
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2015, 12:27:14 PM »

People do have a right to be bigots. In a free country people do have rights to say things that other people find offensive or insulting or bigoted.
Attorney-General George Brandis

:snidegrin
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2015, 12:54:50 PM »

So it's not what you say, nor is it how you say it but it's who you direct toward that matters  :thumbsup got it.

No it's none of that, apparently it's just how the recipient takes it like Goodes decided that the booing was racist. Funny how the booing of one individual is racist but some nuffers in the media class everyone white, middle-class Australian as racist isn't considered racist