Author Topic: Dempsey's neck breaker tackle on Deledio / Tribunal gives Dempsey 4 weeks  (Read 7780 times)

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dempsey's neck breaker tackle on Deledio
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2015, 03:46:17 PM »
4 weeks but because his not a Richmond player on trial he will get 2 weeks

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 03:53:02 PM »
What'd Taylor Walker get for the similar one on Steve Morris?

3 weeks.

Was it worse than Dempsey 's dog act?

Don't know, maybe the one on Deledio was worse, they were very similar actions. Didn't seem to phase Morris much
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRcapQVA3eY - Morris
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1UtCRCfoPY - Deledio

dempsy fell backwards and took deledio with him. delidos shoulder actually hit the ground as his head did

walker lifted morris, flipped and pile drove him into the ground. he went head first into the ground and you could see his head bent horribly due to way he went into the ground.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2015, 04:17:25 PM »
Not far off a wheel chair for life

Dirty drug cheating sob

Boooo
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2015, 04:23:47 PM »
If the afl are fair stuffen dinkum , the idiot should get 8 weeks to send a message on careless and reckless tackles and I'd go even further and fine ess for being so irresponsible in their coaching. Do they not train players to tackle without endangering their opponents lives , the Q needs to be asked  :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2015, 04:31:52 PM »

3 weeks.

Was it worse than Dempsey 's dog act?

Don't know, maybe the one on Deledio was worse, they were very similar actions. Didn't seem to phase Morris much
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRcapQVA3eY - Morris
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1UtCRCfoPY - Deledio

dempsy fell backwards and took deledio with him. delidos shoulder actually hit the ground as his head did

walker lifted morris, flipped and pile drove him into the ground. he went head first into the ground and you could see his head bent horribly due to way he went into the ground.

Both players shoulders hit the ground with their head, Morris even had his arm out to brace it (not that that would of worked very well). Yes Morris' neck went at a weird angle but I also believe Deledios looked to have more force behind it due to the momentum. Not sure why you are arguing, I said Deledios was maybe worse but at the end of the day they were both stupid dangerous tackles.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2015, 04:36:01 PM »
Yep Morris could of been dead

And his team mates did not fly the flag

Wtf
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2015, 04:52:30 PM »
It was a gutless act

3-4 weeks

Agree with Jack
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2015, 06:41:06 PM »
A free kick and a shot at goal

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2015, 07:44:27 PM »
He did too , the umpire should have been pile driven for that stuff up  :whistle
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2015, 08:13:00 PM »
Dempsey and the sling tackle to come under fresh scrutiny
Emma Quayle
The Age
August 30, 2015 - 5.45 pm

The slam tackle will again be placed on the match review panel's agenda, with Essendon defender Courtenay Dempsey the latest player to come under scrutiny.

Dempsey, who is a free agent and yet to be contracted for 2016, was also upset on Sunday by a racist message posted to his Instagram account by a Richmond supporter after the tackle.

He was booked during the final quarter of the Bombers' four-goal loss to Richmond on Saturday night, after throwing Brett Deledio to the ground in a heavy tackle.

Having stripped Deledio of the ball, Dempsey then lifted him up and backwards while standing, with Deledio then hitting the MCG turf with the back of his head.

Dempsey may not have known Deledio had lost hold of the ball when he began to tackle him, but drove him forcefully to the ground head-first regardless.

The move was compared in some parts to a professional wrestling move known as the German suplex, and Deledio spent a few moments on the ground being attended to by trainers before getting back to his feet.

Deledio and Dempsey spoke on the ground after the final siren, and the Richmond star was not considered in any doubt for the Tigers' final-round match against North Melbourne.

Dempsey is not the only player set to come under scrutiny, with a tackle laid by North's Shaun Atley also likely to be assessed by the panel.

Atley lifted Lachie Hunter, but appeared to turn the Western Bulldog on his side as he sent him towards ground. Hunter hit the turf with his right shoulder – as opposed to his head – and was awarded a free kick.

The dangerous nature of sling tackles has been a talking point all season, with Carlton onballer Bryce Gibbs receiving a two-match suspension for his tackle on Port Adelaide's Robbie Gray in June.

Gray was taken from the field on a stretcher after his head hit the ground heavily, and then subbed out of the match with mild concussion.

Power forward Jay Schulz was later cleared for a tackle that concussed Sydney defender Ted Richards, on the basis that the tackle was "not unreasonable" in the circumstances.

Melbourne's Jeremy Howe also avoided penalty for his tackle on Essendon midfielder Alex Browne, who was subsequently subbed out of the match.

The AFL's football operations manager, Mark Evans, said "on reflection" Schulz should have been charged with rough conduct, as Gibbs was.

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick said after Saturday night's game that the lift was the most dangerous element of such tackles, not the slinging process.

"The sling to me is – I'd better be careful how I say this – part of AFL football. But as soon as you lift you're probably in a little bit of trouble. You probably owe the duty of care," Hardwick said.

"I've got no doubt Courtenay didn't mean it. It was just one of those things, how we tackle, but now it's probably changed a little bit with the goal posts moving in that area.

"I'm just glad everyone walked away OK."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/essendons-courtenay-dempsey-and-the-sling-tackle-to-come-under-fresh-scrutiny-20150830-gjb2ta.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Courtenay Dempsey should be sent straight to the tribunal: Ling (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2015, 01:43:59 AM »
Courtenay Dempsey should be sent straight to the tribunal for his sling tackle on Brett Deledio, says Cameron Ling
Herald-Sun
August 31, 2015

COURTENAY Dempsey may have played his last game at Essendon with his dramatic sling tackle compared to the incident that ended Alex McKinnon’s NRL career.

Dempsey picked up and dumped Richmond’s Brett Deledio, who on Sunday revealed he lost consciousness after being driven into the turf.

The hit could be assessed as intentional and high impact and sent straight to the tribunal.

If the match review panel assesses it as careless and high impact he could serve only a two-match suspension.

Dempsey is a free agent at Essendon and would seem unlikely to get another contract after only 13 games this season.

But Richmond champion Matthew Richardson urged the AFL to make a statement on similar damaging tackles.

Courtenay Dempsey dumps Brett Deledio into the ground. Picture: Getty Images Source: Getty Images

Geelong premiership captain Cameron Ling said the “lift and dump” action reminded him of the tackle that damaged Newcastle player McKinnon’s spinal cord.

“For anyone out there saying this is part of the game, just think what happened to Alex McKinnon,” Ling said.

“Those Storm players never meant harm in that but with any dangerous action like that there is a duty of care.

“That could quite easily have happened to Brett Deledio. He could have damaged his neck.

“Any lifting or going beyond the horizontal has to be eliminated from the game completely.

“I think it should go straight to the tribunal.”

Deledio told Seven’s Gameday he “came to” seconds after the hit.

“The neck is a little bit stiff but I am still alive and breathing,’’ he said.

“Thank the big man upstairs for looking after me. I came to when the trainers had their hands on me telling me to stay down.

“I had the old man’s voice in my head saying. ‘Get up, you are not hurt’, so I wanted to get up pretty quick.

“I am pretty sure (I will be fine to play against North Melbourne), the neck is the only thing that is pretty stiff.”

North Melbourne player Shaun Atley’s sling tackle on the Western Bulldogs’ Lachlan Hunter on Saturday did not ram his head into the turf, so should see him dodge any penalty.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/courtenay-dempsey-should-be-sent-straight-to-the-tribunal-for-his-sling-tackle-on-brett-deledio-says-cameron-ling/story-fndv8gad-1227505022341

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Deledio escapes injury, but Don still in strife (afl site)
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2015, 02:20:00 PM »
Deledio escapes injury, but Don still in strife

AFL.com.au
August 31, 2015

RICHMOND vice-captain Brett Deledio has escaped injury and concussion in the aftermath of Courtenay Dempsey's dangerous tackle, but that is unlikely to help the Essendon defender when the Match Review Panel assesses his case on Monday.

Deledio was slammed into the MCG turf by his opponent on Saturday night, in a sling tackle that could see Dempsey sent straight to the Tribunal.

The Tigers' medical report to the MRP on Monday will clear Deledio of any injury after initial concerns he could suffer concussion.

But despite the positive medical assessment, it is highly unlikely the MRP would grade the impact of Dempsey's tackle down to medium impact, which would make a one-match ban possible.

If the MRP grades Dempsey's tackle as careless and high impact he could escape with a one-game ban, but an intentional conduct and high impact grading would see him sent to the Tribunal on Tuesday night.

The MRP also has the option of sending the case direct to the Tribunal if it doesn't believe the penalty reached by its grading system fits the offence.

Either way, Dempsey appears certain to miss the Bombers' round 23 clash against Collingwood on Sunday, potentially ending the unrestricted free agent's time at the Bombers.

Deledio told Channel Seven on Sunday he had a stiff neck after the tackle and he "came to when the trainers had their hands on me telling me to stay down".

"I am pretty sure [I will be fine to play against North Melbourne]," he said.

"The neck is the only thing that is pretty stiff."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-31/deledio-escapes-injury-but-dempsey-still-in-strife

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2015, 02:23:03 PM »
rest him ...

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2015, 05:44:06 PM »
Ch 10 reporting

That Dempsey has been referred straight to the AFL Tribunal

So he should
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 06:01:13 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2015, 05:46:07 PM »
Courtenay Dempsey, Essendon, has been charged with engaging in rough conduct against Brett Deledio, Richmond, during the third quarter of the Round 22 match between Essendon and Richmond, played at the MCG on Saturday August 29, 2015.

In summary, he has been referred directly to the Tribunal for its determination of the incident, and he cannot accept an early plea.

After viewing all available footage and receiving a medical report from the Richmond Football Club, the incident was classified as careless conduct with severe impact to the head. This offence was classified as a direct referral to the Tribunal. The player has no applicable record, but no early plea is available.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-31/match-review-panel-statement-round-22