Author Topic: Damien Hardwick on SEN's The Coaches Box --- 6pm, Friday.  (Read 5671 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick says Cotchin, Richmond leaders, don’t have an issue in finals (H-Sun)
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2015, 04:57:22 AM »
Damien Hardwick says Trent Cotchin, Richmond leaders, don’t have an issue in finals

Herald-Sun
September 27, 2015

DAMIEN Hardwick will back Richmond’s leaders to stand up in finals again despite a disastrous performance this year.

Captain Trent Cotchin was held to an equal career-low nine disposals by Kangaroos tagger Ben Jacobs and senior players including Brett Deledio and Troy Chaplin were well down on their home-and-away form.

Cotchin had 16 disposals in last year’s elimination final against Port Adelaide and 26 and two goals against Carlton in 2013.

Asked if the Tigers had an issue with on-field leadership in September, Hardwick answered: “Absolutely not.

“They didn’t have a great day. That happens. The Swans, they went out in straight sets as well, did their leaders not perform? The reality is sometimes you just meet a better side on the day and you don’t play as well as you’d like.

“Unfortunately these things happen, it’s what you learn from it and how you move on from it that’s important.”

In a lengthy interview on SEN radio, Hardwick hinted Richmond was in the market for Gold Coast bad boy Harley Bennell, said Ben Lennon was a required player, defended his decision to pick underdone pair Ben Griffiths and Reece Conca against the Kangaroos and declared finals matches were no bigger for his players than home-and-away games.

“Round 1 (against Carlton), then we play the Dreamtime game, we play a game against Collingwood — we’re the Richmond footy club, we play big games on a weekly basis.

“It’s unfair to say a finals game is more important than a regular season game, I know people think it is but the reality is you go out to win 100 per cent of the time.”

The Tigers coach said the loss to North Melbourne carried an extra sting because he gave his team a chance to go deep in September — if they could get past the Roos.

“I’ve got no doubt this will sting our players. We’ve made finals other years, but I think this is the year we were close.

“We thought North were always going to be our hardest challenge. We’ve played really well against Sydney over the years, even up in Sydney. We were really looking forward to giving ourselves another chance to beat West Coast.

“North, as soon as they beat us, I knew they’d beat Sydney as well.”

Hardwick didn’t name Bennell but said clubs could afford to take risks on players with off-field issues.

“Every club has ratbag characters, if the majority of your football team are stable players you can afford to get in a few.

“There is a tipping point if you get too many bad characters into your club it goes the wrong way.

“If the guy has elite ability and suspect character you’ll look at him ... it’s all about ability.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/finals-2015-damien-hardwick-says-trent-cotchin-richmond-leaders-dont-have-an-issue-in-finals/story-e6frf3e3-1227545106073

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Damien Hardwick on SEN's The Coaches Box --- 6pm, Friday.
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2015, 07:46:36 AM »
Hardwick should just STFU. Bennell's manager is going to read that and go well Hardwick thinks he's a flog so Harley will go elsewhere thanks. Our coach should be tied and not allowed to speak in public

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2015, 08:55:39 AM »
How many times does he bring up other clubs. Eagles, Hawks, Swans

Someone should tell him we don't give a stuff about other sides on this matter.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2015, 08:59:10 AM »
Hardwick should just STFU. Bennell's manager is going to read that and go well Hardwick thinks he's a flog so Harley will go elsewhere thanks. Our coach should be tied and not allowed to speak in public
lmao
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2015, 09:10:50 AM »

On the contrary I think Bennell's manager is very much  aware is client is a "ratbag", "bad boy", no angel.

Hence why his manager is the one doing the selling
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)