Author Topic: Jacob Townsend [merged]  (Read 128381 times)

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Jacob Townsend [merged]
« Reply #495 on: December 08, 2021, 06:33:21 AM »
Congratulations to him. His attitude and effort throughout his career and the way he conducted himself was first class. His first goal in the grand final in 2017 was significant and came at a pivotal point.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #496 on: December 08, 2021, 09:27:50 AM »
Liked Towner he went hard.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Gigantor

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #497 on: December 08, 2021, 11:41:05 AM »
Was sitting a few rows back one game against melbourne and Towner tackled jones and we heard the crunch from where me and my friends were sitting .. it was a huge tackle

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #498 on: December 08, 2021, 12:02:53 PM »
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #500 on: December 09, 2021, 12:39:33 PM »
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #501 on: December 09, 2021, 02:51:17 PM »
HOW HARDWICK'S PRE-GAME SPEECH INSPIRED TOWNSEND'S GOLDEN RICHMOND RUN

By Andrew Slevison
SEN
9 December 2021

While he’ll continue to have a kick with the Southport Sharks in 2022, the 28-year-old has opted to walk away from the elite level after his time with Gold Coast ended in October.

The 2017 Tigers premiership hero explained the reasons why he has drawn the curtain on his impactful, yet frustrating playing days at the top.

“It’s a bit of everything really,” he said on SEN Breakfast.

“The last four years I’ve been fighting for that spot on the list and I thought it was time for me to move on.

“To try and have a bit more certainty in my life, that’s what it came down to.”

Townsend gave some insight into the mental battles he has faced with constantly worrying about his spot in the senior side.

“Every Thursday was probably a call from the coach saying I was playing twos for the majority of the 10 years, but that’s fine,” he added.

“Up until this one (Suns delisting), I was ok with it, knowing it is what it is and I couldn’t do much about it.

“But as I got a bit older and after 10 years, I wanted a bit more certainty. Those early years, everyone asked me how I coped with it and deal with it. I couldn’t do anything about it, so I just had to wait and see what unfolded. I was fortunate enough to hang on there for the last four years.”

He holds a place in the hearts of many Richmond fans for his heroics late in the 2017 season.

Townsend went on a five-game run from Round 22 to the Grand Final where he played a key role as a defensive forward, chiming in with 16 goals through bags against Fremantle (six) and St Kilda (five).

The Leeton product proceeded to contribute in three winning finals, including the drought-breaking Grand Final triumph over Adelaide, and recalled what coach Damien Hardwick said to him in the lead up to that successful period.

“I wasn’t expecting to come into that team at all,” he said.

“But when I did, that’s when I was the most calm and relaxed I’ve ever felt.

“In the pre-game speech, that was my first game of the year, he (Hardwick) said, ‘Go out there and have six and you’ll be sweet’. Fortunately enough I did kick six.

“I think he might have said something the next week too when I played against St Kilda and kicked five. He didn’t say five, but he said something along those lines as well.”

The crunching tackle on Matt Crouch during the Grand Final win over the Crows is one moment that will live forever.

It is something referenced often when people think of his career.

“That’s probably the most recognised thing I’ve done in my AFL career and especially for Richmond fans,” he added.

“They always say that’s the best thing from that Grand Final.

“It’s just in the last 24 to 48 hours, the amount of support and text messages and messages on social media from Richmond fans, or anywhere, has been overwhelming.

“I didn’t really think it was going to be like that.”

After his time in the AFL, Townsend will now stay on the Gold Coast, play VFL footy with the Sharks and press on with a career in carpentry.

He finished with 28 matches for the Giants, 20 games and 28 goals for the Tigers, 12 appearances for the Bombers in 2020 (his most in a single season) and two games for the Suns.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/12/08/how-hardwicks-pre-game-speech-inspired-townsends-golden-richmond-run/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #502 on: December 09, 2021, 08:34:04 PM »
Queensland VFL club Southport have announced the signing of Jacob Townsend ahead of the 2022 season.

Townsend announced his retirement from the AFL this week after 62 games across spells with the Giants, Tigers, Bombers and Suns, winning a premiership with Richmond in 2017.

The 28-year-old is set to remain in the Sunshine State for next year, with the Sharks revealing their newest recruit on Tuesday night.

https://www.zerohanger.com/afl-journeyman-former-demon-join-sharks-for-2022-95480/