Author Topic: Our Depth  (Read 7450 times)

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
Re: Our Depth
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2015, 01:15:04 PM »
Can this side make the 8. Chances are buckleys and none.

FB/ GRIMES - ELTON - BATCHELOR
HB/ YARRAN - CHAPLIN - HOULI.
C/  MCINTOSH - TOWNSEND - B ELLIS.
R/ HAMPSON - MARTIN - MILES
HF/ LENNON - VICKERY - LLOYD
FF/ DELEDIO -  GRIFFITHS - EDWARDS
INT/ VLASTUIN - GRIGG - MOORE - CONCA/C ELLIS.

Now lets talk about depth.

Take the best defender, number 1 Rickman, best forward, and best midfield (and captian) out of any side and they would stugle. If the backups for these position were as good  as those you take out then they would be in the team to start with. It really is quite a stupid premise.

That said the team you put up would have a shot at top 8, you just don't rate most of our players.
that side would be lucky to win 5 or 6 games. That is how much we drop away from our best players in each position  to the next rung.
Depth ppppfffftttt.

ive got the following not in the best 22:

Chaplin
Grigg
Hampson
Morris
Lloyd
Hunt
Batchelor
Griffiths
Lambert
Moore
Broad
Elton
Drummond
McKenzie
Short#
Soldo#
Butler
Markov
Menadue
Castagna

Outside the first 3 / 4 / 5 names, they are young and potentially all can improve  [in theory, at least]

---

Can this side make the 8. Chances are buckleys and none.

FB/ GRIMES - ELTON - BATCHELOR
HB/ YARRAN - CHAPLIN - HOULI.
C/  MCINTOSH - TOWNSEND - B ELLIS.
R/ HAMPSON - MARTIN - MILES
HF/ LENNON - VICKERY - LLOYD
FF/ DELEDIO -  GRIFFITHS - EDWARDS
INT/ VLASTUIN - GRIGG - MOORE - CONCA/C ELLIS.

Now lets talk about depth.

Take the best defender, number 1 Rickman, best forward, and best midfield (and captian) out of any side and they would stugle. If the backups for these position were as good  as those you take out then they would be in the team to start with. It really is quite a stupid premise.

That said the team you put up would have a shot at top 8, you just don't rate most of our players.

^^

key point
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 03:39:24 PM by Stalin »
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Our Depth --- How deep is your team's list? (afl site)
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2016, 01:49:26 AM »
How deep is your team's list?

Nathan Schmook
AFL.com.au
7 April 2016

RICHMOND

Backline: The key posts are strong, illustrated by Troy Chaplin's struggle to earn a game, but injuries are testing the Tigers in the half-back position forcing Brandon Ellis to move out of the midfield.

Midfield: Has been bolstered by inside midfield recruits and now boasts depth in numbers. Youngster Connor Menadue has demanded selection, but the class at the bottom end has been found wanting. Injury free here.

Ruck: Shaun Hampson has stepped in for injured No.1 ruck Ivan Maric, but beyond that the Tigers only have two raw rookies (project player Ivan Soldo and first-year tall Mabior Chol). Maric is set to return this week against Adelaide.

Forwards: Hit hard by the losses of Brett Deledio and Shane Edwards, the Tigers drew on rookie Jayden Short for cover. Debutant Daniel Rioli was also required in round one but suffered a leg injury.   

Depth stat:
Richmond has carried an average of 1599 games experience on the sidelines in each of the opening two rounds.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-06/how-deep-is-your-teams-list

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2016, 07:14:43 AM »
Since my above post

Menadue
Lloyd
Lambert

B22
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2016, 08:54:39 PM »
Since my above post

Menadue
Lloyd
Lambert

B22

Its nice we're getting player turnover somewhat.  3/22 changes so far for the year.  Yarran will make 4, thats %18 turnover.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2016, 07:34:35 PM »
Since my above post

Menadue
Lloyd
Lambert

B22

Its nice we're getting player turnover somewhat.  3/22 changes so far for the year.  Yarran will make 4, thats %18 turnover.

But

We are startin from behind the eight ball ..

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2016, 08:17:50 PM »
Im looking at our list and after the trade period I can see depth. Im not going to debate each player, god knows there is enough bagging of nearly everybody on the team. You cant read a thread without it. The point of this thread is to show we have many players fighting for spots

Here is the Elimination Final team

B:  Newman, Batchelor, Rance
HB:  Houli, Vlastuin, Chaplin
C:  B. Ellis, Cotchin, McIntosh
HF:  Martin, Griffiths, Edwards
F:  Riewoldt, Deledio, Vickery
R:  Maric, Grigg, Hunt
IC:  Grimes, Miles, Conca, Lambert

As I said Im not going to debate who should and should not be there.

We have lost a total of 1 player (Newman) off that team

Now we have

Players Added to list:  Yarran, Moore, Townsend
Players stiff to miss last game:  Lennon
Injured players that could of been in team:  C.Ellis
Players been on list for while without much of a go. McBean, Elton
Young Players in and out of Side: Menadue
Development players that MIGHT push for selection: Butler, McKenzie,  Drummond
Backup players that on "best form" could force way in: Astbury,  Morris, Hampson, Lloyd

Now thats 15 players and 1 spot. That means competition for spots in my view.

I havent included any of our rookies or this years draft picks of which there may be one or two that will push for selection.

I will not debate the merrits of any of these players, I am just pointing out the numbers. Not many clubs would have 36 playerss that COULD be be pushing for selection.
That has been the trouble people and obviously the club look at the numbers and think we have each area covered.
I will give you an example and the simple truth is it is the same for all areas.

At a glance i could say we have SEVEN POTENTIAL RUCKMEN. Maric, Hampson, Soldo, Vickery, Griffiths, McBean and Chol.You look at the numbers and say yep we have ruck covered.
When you take a close look though and weigh up everything,  The reality is there is just one  Maric who actually plays to an acceptable afl standard consistently, and he is really struggling to compete. The reality is there is just one ruckman on the list who is afl standard and he is in decline,  the rest are either no good, have huge deficiencies and none look like they could become a good quality #1 ruckman.
The reality is despite the numbers our ruck stocks are dire.

What is depth anyway? . Is a junior who may or may not make it, actually depth?  of course he isnt  he is a junior and the fact he is not up to afl standard has to be factored in.We need to make the neccessary distinctions.

To me depth is really about having players who can come into your side and perform his role to a decent consistent afl standard or develop enough to actually force a good consistent player out of the side.

Depth well we dont really have much  after making all the neccessary distinctions.