Author Topic: Daniel Rioli [merged]  (Read 238612 times)

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Daniel Rioli [merged]
« Reply #315 on: March 02, 2017, 03:17:59 AM »
Met Kouta's brother 20 years ago. Was a knob. Doubt anything changed

FlashGordon

« Reply #316 on: March 02, 2017, 10:31:47 AM »
Had to luagh watching the Today show this morning...that imbecile Tim Gilbert the "sports guru" comes on with the report that Richmond has signed young gun Dan Rioli and while he was reporting it, they threw  to highlieghts of Cyril
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 12:27:44 PM by FlashGordon »

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #317 on: March 02, 2017, 12:14:50 PM »
Had to luagh watching the Today show this morning...that imbecile Tim Gilbert the "sports guru" comes on with the report that Richmond has signed young gun Dan Rioli and while he was reporting it, they through to highlieghts of Cyril
All of that crap comes straight out of Sydney. They don't have a clue up there and I deliberately avoid channel nine because of the anti-Victorian bias.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #318 on: March 02, 2017, 10:48:35 PM »
ahh poor baby
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #319 on: March 03, 2017, 06:06:25 PM »
awesome news

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #320 on: April 16, 2017, 03:49:22 PM »
Tiger Rioli proving to be a man possessed

AFL.com.au
16 April 2017

DANIEL Rioli's magic touch in 2017 has made him Richmond's most dangerous player when it comes to turning possessions into scores, Champion Data statistics show.

Rioli's great skill has placed him among the early contenders for Goal of the Year, but it is not only his moments of brilliance that are making him a nightmare for opponents.

The small forward has averaged 10.7 possessions a game in 2017, and he is proving that, like cousin Cyril, he does not need to win a lot of the ball to impact games.

Statistics show that when he has touched the ball and been involved in a chain of possessions this season, 48 per cent of the time it results in a Richmond score.

That is more than anyone else at the club and ranked equal 37th among the 430 AFL players involved in at least 10 possession chains this season.

It is also a lift from his 36 per cent hit rate last year, which ranked No.4 at the Tigers.

Then there is Rioli's ability in one-on-one contests. The second-year forward showcased his ability to prevail in these situations in the build-up to his sensational goal against West Coast at the weekend.

Having seen off Brad Sheppard in a contest by the boundary, he combined with teammate Dion Prestia and danced around Jeremy McGovern to kick a goal that will take some beating for the best of this season.

The contest was one of six one-on-ones the 19-year-old has been involved in this season and he is yet to lose any, winning three and neutralising three.

"He has a ferocious work-rate, which is the thing that has accelerated his development," teammate Jack Riewoldt told Fox Footy this week.

"He just wants to get better and he's an extremely talented player.

"He's been a really crucial part of the forward line this year, along with Dan Butler and Jason Castagna."

That trio's value to Richmond has arguably been more important for the defensive chaos they cause than the 13 goals they have collectively kicked.

The pressure they apply is creating opportunities for others, with the Tigers boasting a spread of 17 goalkickers across their opening three wins.

Castagna, who is on a rookie contract, ranks No.1 at the club for forward-half pressure acts (13 a game), while Butler ranks No.2 (11.7 a game).

Rioli is ranked No.4, with an average of 11 pressure acts a game, showing he has the desire not only to kick the magical goals but also to create opportunities for others. 

Out of contract at the end of 2017, his is a key signature for Richmond, with all signs pointing towards an extension in the coming months.

It is only the delay in collective bargaining talks between the AFL and AFL Players Association that is holding up a new deal to keep him at Punt Road Oval.   

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-04-16/richmonds-rioli-proving-to-be-a-man-possessed

Offline Heart of Darkness

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #321 on: April 16, 2017, 07:43:20 PM »
Reckon Dan might always be a 10-15 possie kind of player but gees every time he gets it good things seem to happen.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #322 on: April 16, 2017, 08:37:37 PM »
Pure silk.
Unleash the tornado

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #323 on: April 16, 2017, 09:01:24 PM »
The bloke is awesome, he never concedes that a contest is over regardless of how mental it gets or how many he is up against.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline sugark

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #324 on: April 16, 2017, 09:36:12 PM »
Should've had 3 goals tonight, if Butler released him in the 3rd with a handball instead of hanging onto it and thinking he could do it all himself and got caught.  Butler needs to be cleaner with his hands, has fumbled a lot last couple of weeks.  Just hope he's not getting ahead of himself

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #325 on: April 27, 2017, 02:40:25 AM »
Daniel Rioli has three-year deal in front of him

Sam Landsberger,
Herald Sun
27 April 2017

RICHMOND believes Daniel Rioli is “only scratching the surface” with the emerging star expected to re-sign until 2020.

Rioli, who lives with coach Damien Hardwick, has shone brightly in the Tigers’ first 5-0 start since 1995.

While Rioli, 20, is in no rush to formally put pen to paper, he is happy at the Tigers and in negotiations to recommit.

The second-year forward has impressed with his leadership, particularly with his mentoring of draftee Shai Bolton.

Rioli is helping the fellow indigenous talent manage his training programs, delivering off-field advice and helping him get to Punt Rd for training.

Hardwick said Rioli’s tank would set him apart from superstar uncle Cyril Rioli.

“Cyril’s a wonderful player. I was privileged to work with him in his early days there (at Hawthorn),” Hardwick said this month.

“But Daniel’s different with his aerobic capacity.

“I think he’s probably only scratching the surface of where he’s at as a half-forward. I’ve got no doubt he’ll push in the midfield at some stage when he gets a bit bigger.

“Over a period of time he’ll push further up the field so he’ll make his own name, I’ve got no doubt.”

Rioli inherited grandfather Maurice Rioli’s famous No.17 jumper and has impressed Tiger fans with his clever flashes of brilliance.

He is just one of nine general forwards in the AFL who Champion Data rate “above average” for goals and forward-half pressure points.

Rioli’s goalkicking accuracy of 80 per cent is rated elite while his last quarter on Anzac Eve helped trigger the Tigers’ stirring comeback against Melbourne.
Tigers coach Damien Hardwick with Rioli after the win against Collingwood in Round 2. Picture: Getty Images

The livewire has kicked a goal in every game this season.

In the 2015 draft the Tigers bid on academy gems Matthew Kennedy (GWS) and Rising Star Eric Hipwood (Brisbane Lions) before taking Rioli with their first pick, No. 15 overall.

Rioli has already shot past the Tigers’ previous first-round picks Corey Ellis (No. 12 in 2014) and Ben Lennon (No. 12 in 2013).

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-livewire-daniel-rioli-has-threeyear-deal-in-front-of-him/news-story/ff0ee8b4983d007f9fd63898e51203ce

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #326 on: April 27, 2017, 07:22:16 AM »
I haven't given up on Cellis, reckon he'd be an upgrade on Houli across HB in time...
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #327 on: April 28, 2017, 01:10:58 AM »
I haven't given up on Cellis, reckon he'd be an upgrade on Houli across HB in time...

He is a level above the VFL and will show it in time. Would prefer him in the midfield though

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #328 on: May 03, 2017, 12:41:19 PM »
Dan's proving to be a deadeye in front of the sticks this year. Going at 77% (10 goals from 13 shots).

Full article: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2017-05-03/deadeye-daniel

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #329 on: May 05, 2017, 04:06:55 AM »
Daniel Rioli on pressure, Richmond, Damien Hardwick, Richmond 2017 indigenous Dreamtime guernsey jumper

Lauren Wood
Herald Sun
5 May 2017

THEY call him “Scrumptious”, this relative of the “Delicious” Cyril Rioli.

Daniel Rioli bears one of football’s most famous names but the 20-year-old is determined to make his own mark.

His great-uncle Maurice — who Rioli calls his grandfather — played 118 games in yellow and black and won the 1982 Norm Smith medal.

Uncle Dean played 100 games for Essendon, booting 91 goals.

And his father Bradley’s cousin Cyril, or “Junior”, has three All-Australian gongs, a Norm Smith medal and four premiership medallions in his collection after 183 games for Hawthorn.

Not bad.

The electric young Tiger knew he came to Punt Road at the end of 2015 with the surname and its associated pressure in tow, but is set on sticking to his own style.

At the moment, it’s working.

“Having the Rioli name, there is a bit of pressure there but I kind of put it at the back of my head and play my own brand of footy that I’ve been playing since I was a kid,” Rioli says.

“It’s just footy. You’ve got your own brand that you play.

“Junior plays his own brand of footy, my uncle played his own brand of footy, my grandfather Maurice played his own brand of footy at Richmond.

“Now it’s time for me to make my own name for myself and play my own brand of footy.”

The slick, quick small forward made the shift from the Tiwi Islands aged 14, flying to Melbourne before catching a bus to Ballarat to join St Patrick’s College’s indigenous program.

It was cold, but he thought it was a good idea.

He boarded at the school for a few years, and since joining the Tigers calls a new place home with a couple of new “boarding house masters” — Damien and Danielle Hardwick.

Yes, the Richmond coach, his wife and their three children.

It wasn’t Rioli’s idea, he admits, moving in soon after the 2015 national draft with new teammate and now close friend Mabior Chol.

Chol soon found a host family — Rioli was “the only one left” and has remained. He loved it, and still does.

“I was nervous coming into the system and to think I was staying with the coach was a bit nerve-racking,” Rioli says.

“It’s not that difficult now — I’m slotting in easily.”

There’s Hardwick the coach and then Hardwick the “family man”, according to Rioli, who has forged a close friendship with the coach’s son Ben, who is the same age.

He admits he was surprised at the “around the house” Hardwick — he thought there’d be more of a tendency for the top Tiger to be talking tactics.

“I actually thought when I first moved in that he’d be more into footy and talking about footy 24/7,” Rioli says.

“But he gets along so well with everyone and makes jokes in the house. It’s perfect with Dimma. When he’s at home, he’s a family man. When he’s out coaching, he’s the coach and he’s really full on.”

Rioli said he knows he’ll have to leave the Hardwicks’ bayside home eventually — “At some stage I’ll have to get the boot” —. but he hopes just not yet.

Teammate Shane Edwards credits the Hardwicks for the role they have played in helping develop Rioli, who he says is “slowly coming out of his shell”.

“I forget that he’s 20,” Edwards says.

“You assume that he’s maybe a six or seven-year player the way he talks about the game. His family has raised him really well ... and (living with the Hardwicks) has just been the perfect setting for him to thrive, and that’s what he’s doing.”

It took some time to get him out of that shell.

“Early days, some of the guys didn’t know that he was really funny, because he was so quiet,” Edwards explains.

“But this year, I have little cracks at him saying ‘remember that little kid from Tiwi that came in last year that was really polite and humble? Where did he go?’ He’s really funny. He’s extremely humble and he loves having a laugh.”

Richmond is facing a mettle-testing month, with meetings with the Western Bulldogs on Saturday night, Fremantle and Greater Western Sydney before the blockbuster Dreamtime at the ‘G against Essendon in Round 10.

It’s a game Rioli travelled to watch with a handful of his fellow St Patrick’s boarders a few times.

“I thought to myself then that ‘hopefully I can be there’,” Rioli says.

“It came and now to be drafted at the Tigers and to be that kid out there playing in Dreamtime is an unreal feeling. It’s an exciting time and it gets you so pumped up. I can’t wait.

“You’re not only representing yourself, you’re representing the whole indigenous community around Australia.”

Daniel catches up with cousin Cyril often, mostly just for a coffee and a chat. Sometimes about footy, sometimes not.

Rioli said he needs to build his body up like the Hawks star did and plans to “hit the gym more”.

Sponging off his teammates’ nous isn’t going astray, either, as the young gun not only looks to the likes of skipper Trent Cotchin and superstar midfielder Dustin Martin to polish his game smarts, but All-Australian defender Alex Rance in an effort to get under the skin of his opponents.

“Whenever I’m playing against backs, Rancey tells me what he hates about playing against a forward,” Rioli says.

“He hates me moving around so much or being so quick or whatever it may be. I try and take that out on game day. I’ll definitely use that.

“I get along with everyone at the club and they teach me.

“Being a young player coming into the system, I look at Trent Cotchin having a big career now. I want to be that sort of player that can play 100 or 200 more games ... maybe.”

RICHMOND’S indigenous jumper holds a special place for Daniel Rioli.

Not only is this year’s guernsey — the club’s seventh — inspired by the Tiger talent and teammate Nathan Drummond, it’s been developed by someone he’s known for years.

The guernsey was designed by Josh Muir, who has overcome addiction and depression to emerge as a promising artist.

He also visited Rioli’s school, St Patrick’s in Ballarat, some years ago.

“I’ve been close with him — he came to my school when I was at St Pat’s, so I know him through that,” Rioli said.

“I’m just so excited and I can’t wait to run out with it. I think it’s the best one yet.”

Muir, a Yorta Yorta contemporary artist from Ballarat found solace and healing in art, with the guernsey design fusing Tiwi Island and Yorta Yorta influences to depict peace, love and unity.

“(It incorporates) Bunjil the creator and the old people, using the traditional colours of Richmond designed around the sash,” Muir said.

“Bunjil is seen as a creator traditionally, and the old men are our elders, which is a really important part of our culture, paying respect to our elders.

“They fuse together to acknowledge the creator — past and present and the emerging of Aboriginal culture.”

And Rioli has admitted that despite their relationship, he was caught by surprise when he learned that Muir was behind this year’s design.

“I didn’t know he was going to come in,” he said.

“He did and I was pretty surprised. It’s good to have someone around that you know. It’s great for him to design the jumper and with me being so close to him, it’s unreal.”

Teammate Shane Edwards agreed.

“I feel like I say this every year ... but with the bright flashes, it’s the best one yet,” he smiled.

The jumper also features the number 67 on its back, paying tribute to the 50th anniversary of the 1967 Referendum where Australians voted in favour of recognising indigenous Australians in the constitution.

All proceeds from the sale of Dreamtime at the G items go to the Korin Gamadji Institute and Richmond’s indigenous programs.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/daniel-rioli-feels-pressure-of-rioli-name-but-is-playing-footy-his-way-and-making-his-own-mark/news-story/740f34e7647dc6b1e5a6259110abfc65