Author Topic: Daniel Rioli [merged]  (Read 232135 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Daniel Rioli [merged]
« Reply #450 on: September 07, 2017, 10:35:00 PM »
Daniel Rioli will have a big role in helping Richmond coach Damien Hardwick win his first final

DAVID KING
Herald Sun
8 September 2017

RICHMOND must confront the elephant in the room and accept that it has failed the test of finals football not once, not twice, but three times in successive seasons.

That must stop on Friday night before it becomes this group’s legacy.

Damien Hardwick has coached the most AFL games (179) without winning a final in VFL/AFL history.

The Tigers must ensure that their coach doesn’t become known as “Home-and-Away Hardwick”.

As Ross Lyon says, “failure is feedback” and the 2017 Tigers play a far different brand of football, less reliant on talent and more based on system.

The uniqueness of this campaign is that their forward half includes only one tall, Jack Riewoldt.

The common belief that two tall options are required for support, in-game injury risk management and just basic sharing of the workload has been debunked by Richmond’s home-and-away season, but Hardwick must feel sick in the stomach that this issue may come home to roost when it matters most.

The reluctance to select Ben Griffiths as a second tall option will be all the talk post-match if this small forward line fails.

Hindsight experts are plentiful and, as always, success has many fathers while failure is an orphan, meaning Hardwick will carry responsibility for this method, if unsuccessful, alone.

His strategy has worked to date but his mosquito forwards must bring the ball to ground tonight as they cannot allow Geelong’s defenders to intercept mark and deny the Tigers their main asset — speed.

That’s speed to obtain possession and speed to subject the Cats’ back six to the AFL’s greatest pressure.

A forward-half pressure cauldron that is brilliant in its fanaticism is led by Daniel Rioli.

Young Daniel defends a space greater than any other player — it’s really a 25-30m radius. That’s a lot of usable grass.

Dan Butler, Jason Castagna and Kane Lambert have pace to burn, but use it predominantly to defend rather than the generally accepted one-way run.

It has become the Tiger trademark and is a sustainable brand of football and, while their ability to lock the ball in their forward half is obvious, it hadn’t been influencing the scoreboard.

That is, not until the last four home-and-away rounds.

Richmond went from averaging 33 points from forward-half intercepts to 43 points — No.1 in the league.

Geelong has played an immediate foldback defence over the past few weeks and has the ability to appear almost Sydney-like in its ability to absorb repeat opposition inside-50m entries.

The Cats concede a goal from a miserly 18.6 per cent of opposition forward-50 entries, second best behind the Swans.

It’s clear that Chris Scott has last year’s finals exit at the hands of the Swans foremost in his mind and it appears he has adopted a very similar methodology to Sydney’s.

The “Slingshot Swans” got them in 2016 but the “Counter-Punch Cats” will be on show tonight and the “Tiger Terriers” must snap at their heels, otherwise Geelong’s finals experience may just shine through.

In many way D. Rioli is Richmond’s most important player.

While he’s no D. Martin, he’s a standard setter others can — and must — follow.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/david-king/daniel-rioli-will-have-a-big-role-in-helping-richmond-coach-damien-hardwick-win-his-first-final/news-story/c6d31372432fb023b0c466e029abc645

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #451 on: September 09, 2017, 03:15:13 PM »
Another typical Daniel Rioli game. No goals,  3 kicks and about 3 missed tackles.

I would just like to know how his game last night is any different than George's?

Both were poor and both imo should not be dropped but how are they any different?

I must have read 6 or 7 posters saying how poor George was and how he should be replaced but nothing on Rioli. Why is that?

Can anyone answer that logically?

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #452 on: September 09, 2017, 03:38:54 PM »
Fair point but He still managed to create a lot of pressure and contested ball.  He forced errors and kept them honest.
Lots of people name their swords......

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #453 on: September 09, 2017, 04:13:05 PM »
Another typical Daniel Rioli game. No goals,  3 kicks and about 3 missed tackles.

I would just like to know how his game last night is any different than George's?

Both were poor and both imo should not be dropped but how are they any different?

I must have read 6 or 7 posters saying how poor George was and how he should be replaced but nothing on Rioli. Why is that?

Can anyone answer that logically?

No, everyone has given up trying to explain it to you

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #454 on: September 09, 2017, 07:24:46 PM »
For starters Rioli is clean where George struggles as evident with his first 3 attempts to collect the ball last night. In saying that, they both along with Butler provide enormous pressure. It's working so they continue as Lloyd and Lennon are too slow to replace any of them. Bolton could come in but i think they will continue as is.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #455 on: September 09, 2017, 07:46:09 PM »
I agree while we're winning don't change the 3 small setup but yeah Rioli wasn't good last night.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #456 on: September 09, 2017, 08:16:23 PM »
I get the feeling that opposition coaches would prefer him not to be picked.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #457 on: September 09, 2017, 10:24:23 PM »
Their input is probably the same. I also saw Dan Rioli miss tackles, but George did it closer to me so it stands out more and i also think he fumbled more than rioli did.

Agree with others though its a mute point when we win our way into a prelim. :thumbsup

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline ¾ T!geɹ

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #458 on: September 10, 2017, 02:25:31 PM »
This kid is good and has a huge thirst for the ball which is more than most other players in the entire league.
His pressure was good on Friday night. No not his best game, but I see a future that is full of stardom, I hope you all can see it too.
The third quarter, the premiership quarter, it's Dusty time. He starts to shine and then delivers in the most AWESOME fashion.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #459 on: September 10, 2017, 02:32:20 PM »
No not everyone can

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #460 on: September 10, 2017, 02:46:18 PM »
Pressure was huge as always, had Geelong looking over their shoulders all night and caused more than a few fumbles, just needs to improve the finishing and stick a few more tackles.....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #461 on: September 10, 2017, 04:00:21 PM »
Plays a much more difficult role that Castagna as well

tony_montana

« Reply #462 on: September 10, 2017, 04:01:25 PM »
Plays a much more difficult role that Castagna as well