Author Topic: Daniel Rioli [merged]  (Read 232137 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Daniel Rioli [merged]
« Reply #720 on: September 14, 2018, 01:21:34 PM »
EXCLUSIVE: Tigers small forward sent for scans

Adrian Johnson
afl.com.au
Sep 14, 2018 1:00PM

PREMIERSHIP forward Daniel Rioli has hurt in his finger in a training session at Punt Road.

The 21-year-old appeared at scans shortly after the session and told AFL.com.au he'd jarred his figure during the two-hour hit-out which included match simulation.

Rioli downplayed the severity of the injury.

"I'm just getting a little check-up, nothing too important, but I'll be right for next week," Rioli said.

"It's just a sore finger, mate.

"(It happened) at training today, it is just a jarring."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-14/another-tiger-scare-small-forward-gets-scans

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #721 on: September 14, 2018, 01:34:32 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #722 on: September 14, 2018, 01:49:29 PM »
Dusty and Broad injured as well

Online Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #723 on: September 14, 2018, 02:52:36 PM »
Dusty and Broad injured as well
Certainly a good simulation,  maybe a bit too good.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #724 on: September 14, 2018, 03:11:19 PM »
Season over  :shh
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #725 on: September 14, 2018, 05:05:30 PM »
Rioli, though, jarred his finger during the simulation session and was sent for scans.

Balme said there was nothing to worry about for the dynamic goal-kicking forward.

"He is good. Not a problem," he said.

Source: The Age

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #726 on: September 19, 2018, 06:15:01 PM »
KB and the Doc - Daniel Rioli on SEN:

AUDIO: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode/?id=277102

Rioli said his finger is fine. He had scans and it only showed a bit of ligament damage so it was good news.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #727 on: November 03, 2018, 05:16:01 AM »
Dan's younger brother:

17rioli
Congrats on your senior debut little bro @b.rioli I’m super proud! Beat me at only 16 to debut Wow!! The luck didn’t go your way but it’s part of life and you’ll get better and better! Once again congratulations budda ❤️ can’t wait to see you play with uncle @benriolibenrioli @srio10 and @sabboz2 down the track.

https://www.instagram.com/17rioli/?hl=en

At 16 he's small but he can certainly fly:

VIDEO: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bpb7CUeBpfs/

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #728 on: November 03, 2018, 01:30:11 PM »
Too bad there's no brother rule....Bumblers will most likely take him through their academy.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #729 on: November 04, 2018, 12:50:19 AM »
Dio do we have an academy? Seems like quite a few clubs have one
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #730 on: November 04, 2018, 03:37:10 AM »
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #731 on: November 05, 2018, 08:55:59 PM »
The AFL power couple everyone’s talking about

Kim Wilson,
Herald Sun
5 Nov 2018

TWO of the biggest names of the AFL — Rioli and Fevola — have joined forces, but not in the way you would expect.

Richmond rising star Daniel Rioli — nephew of greats Maurice and Dean, and cousin to Cyril and Willie Rioli as well as legend Michael Long — and Mia Fevola, daughter of Coleman medallist Brendan, have fallen in love and have been dating for eight months.

Their connection was almost instant after meeting through a mutual friend and they have grown close quickly.

They now live together with the rest of the Fevola family — Brendan, mum Alex and sisters Leni and Lulu.

“We’ve clicked so much, we understand each other,” Mia, 18, says.

Daniel, 21, adds, “I just love how we have fun and be ourselves around each other. She’s already figured me out, she’s taught me a few things. I’m lucky to have her.”

While many AFL couples enjoy attending A-list events, the couple have remained low-key and are content spending quiet time together.

“We’re not really going out kind of people, we don’t really drink or anything. We like brunching and that kind of thing,” Mia says.

“It’s hard when you’re out because people are always watching, especially with you (Daniel) everyone is watching when we walk through shopping centres.

“It’s hard because you have to act mature and not do anything silly, but when we’re together we obviously have a lot more fun and can be ourselves.”

The pair, who have a relaxed and easy rapport, are looking forward to stepping out together when Mia takes on the role as Chadstone fashion ambassador at Polo in the City in Albert Park in December and Twilight Beach Polo in St Kilda in February.

“I’m really excited because I’ve never done anything like that before,” Mia says.

“I’m excited to see the fashion — it’s very different to racing, it’s more my style.

“Polo is more up my alley. I’m not really a stiletto type of girl, I’m more about comfort and practicality.”

Daniel is excited to be heading out with Mia to a fun Melbourne event.

“I’m pretty casual but I don’t mind dressing up. To do something different, to go to an event like this will be fun,” he says.

“I’m looking forward to it. I’m pretty low-key, I don’t really like to go out and show myself to people. I think this will give me confidence to do more.”

Daniel, who lived with Tigers coach Damian Hardwick’s family for three years until earlier this year, says living under the same roof as Carlton and Brisbane champion Brendan has been fantastic for him as a player and a person.

“He’s been a great help to me, to just be confident, and now I’m confident in being myself,” Daniel says.

“Even in the finals series, he would tell me little jokes about how he went about his footy. He was a very special player back then, so why not learn from him?

“It’s amazing going from living with the coach to moving in with a player who almost kicked 100 goals in a season and he was one of the best players in the competition. To be under his roof is pretty special and I do pinch myself.

“My mum rang me up saying, ‘I want to meet him’ because she loved him as well.

“To be involved with his family is amazing and I’m enjoying my time.”

Mia says the pair have busy lives. She is studying marketing at RMIT full-time, as well as being a brand ambassador and working as a make-up artist for mum Alex’s Runway Room business.

“I didn’t ever think that this young I would be living with my boyfriend and that quickly,” she says.

“A lot of my friends say, ‘Do you get sick of each other?’, but we have our own space, we’re so used to it now.”

Daniel enjoys not only getting footy advice from Brendan, but says he makes a mean roast.

“Brendan is a good cook. He loves cooking. I’d give him a 10, he’s pretty special,” he says.

It hasn’t always been smooth sailing for either Mia or Daniel, with both enduring challenges in their teenage years.

Brendan, Mia’s stepfather, had a well-documented and public fall from grace at the end of his AFL career, openly admitting to drinking and gambling problems. He spent almost three years separated from Alex.

But, in what has become a fairytale turnaround, Brendan has found redemption publicly and in his private life.

His appearance and ultimate victory on reality show I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here! in 2016 changed the public perception of him and showed his deep love for his family and gratitude for being given a second chance.

It led to him reuniting with Alex, with whom he is expecting a baby girl in a month, and a gig on top-rating Fox FM breakfast radio show Fifi, Fev & Byron with Fifi Box and Byron Cooke.

“It was hard in a way, people saying things, but my family has always been close, even in the hard times,” Mia says.

“We’ve always been a strong family. Even when my parents had split up, all of us we were close with each of them.

“Mum met Dad when I was three. All I can remember is him being my dad. He’s been amazing, he’s the only dad I consider my dad. He has done everything for me, he still would do anything. He’s a really good dad to all of us.

“He has changed, he really appreciates the smaller things now. He’s at a place where he put all that behind him and he’s settled down.

“He’s so over the moon about having the baby, he’s already saying we’re going to have another one and have a boy,” she jokes.

Mia is incredibly close to Alex and has much admiration for the way her mother has built her business and raised the family.

“She is definitely a role model in my life,” she says.

“I always look up to her with everything and she helps me with everything.

“If I’m stressed about anything, she always brings me back down. She definitely plays a big part in my life.”

Daniel’s teenage years were unlike most, moving from his home in the Tiwi Islands at the age of 14 to Ballarat, where he earned a football scholarship at St Patrick’s College.

“I had no idea where Ballarat was at the start,” he says.

“I remember catching the shuttle bus and I had a singlet, shorts and thongs on and freezing. I got to Ballarat and it was minus two and I thought, ‘What am I doing here?’

“Moving from a small community, where it’s nice and warm and everyone knows each other, to going to Ballarat, where it was cold and not knowing many people, it was tough at the time.

“But luckily enough I got a footy scholarship to go there. That’s where I made my close mates from my footy.”

Daniel took inspiration from his trailblazing uncles and cousins, and the advice of his mum, and made the most of the experience.

“Mum and Dad told me to just go because Cyril went to Scotch (College) by himself,” he says. “Mum was like, ‘If you want to play AFL, you need to get away from home and try and follow in Cyril’s footsteps and hopefully pursue your dream’.”

Daniel says his first year after being drafted to Richmond in 2016 was hard as the team struggled to find form.

“There’s thoughts in your head like, ‘Did I live up to the name?’ And then my second year came along and we did OK and went on to win the premiership,” he says.

“You get fans and close friends saying, ‘You played like your uncle, you’ve got a similar style’, and that kind of gets you a little bit motivated and excited.

“But before everything started, I always said to myself, ‘That’s the way they play, they all had their own style’ and I said that I’m just going to play my own brand of footy.”

Daniel has headed home to the Tiwi Islands to spend time with his family during the off-season and then will take Mia back to Darwin in January to meet them all.

“I’ve never been, it looks beautiful,” Mia says.

“Some of his family came down for the finals period and I saw them at games, but I’m looking forward to seeing Daniel’s home and meeting more of his family.”

Daniel relishes his visits home, where he is “just Daniel” and can soak up the sun, fish and enjoy relaxing time with extended family.

“Being an AFL player here, everyone swarms you and wants a photo, but back home it’s completely different — everyone knows me as Daniel, not the footy player,” he says.

“It’s so low-key, everyone is so close and they don’t treat me like a footy player. I get home and I’m just Daniel.

“I don’t stress at all when I get home, it’s pretty chill. That’s what I’m looking forward to, doing a lot of fishing and chasing the sun.”

Keeping a low profile has been hard after the Tigers’ incredible 2017 Grand Final victory, but also because his name now pops up on radio and on Brendan’s entertaining Instagram feed on a regular basis.

“He can be a bit embarrassing sometimes, especially on Instagram with all the videos and things,” Mia says of her dad.

“I think Mum gets it the worst when she’s in her pyjamas and pregnant — she’s so embarrassed — but he never really does anything like that to us. He’s pretty respectful of our privacy.”

Daniel says, “I’ve heard a few things, I’m up pretty early going to training. I’m fine with that getting a mention, but it’s pretty funny at times because I’d rock up to the club and a few of the players would say, ‘Did you hear the radio today?’

“It’s just the way he is, that’s his personality, I have so much respect for him.”

The Fevolas are excitedly awaiting the arrival of the fourth girl into the family and Mia is looking forward to meeting her baby sister.

“I keep saying to Mum, ‘You’re going to have a baby, and if I’m babysitting down the street, people are going to think that’s my baby’,” she says.

“It’s pretty amazing the way things have turned around. That has overpowered everything. You just need each other and that is how we have gotten through it all.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/fevola-and-rioli-make-a-dream-team-as-next-afl-it-couple/news-story/3482130a71301314dedbc52fa7da9a2d

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #732 on: November 07, 2018, 03:56:30 AM »
One of football’s most famous families has produced another gem.

Exciting teenager Brayden Rioli, the younger brother of Richmond premiership star Daniel, is making a name for himself in the Northern Territory.

In just his second senior NTFL outing, the 16-year-old booted three goals to help St Mary’s to a 23-point win over Waratah at Gardens Oval on Saturday.

He was awarded the round five NT News Rising Star nomination for his efforts.

“He played forward for most of the game, though he spent a little bit of time in the back pocket when one of our boys was getting a bit of treatment,’’ Saints coach and ex-Hawthorn/Port Adelaide ruckman Brent Renouf told NT News.

“He was pretty important for us up forward where he kicked three goals despite having a bit of a crook leg towards the end of the game, even then he still managed to kick a goal in that time.”

Brayden, a spring-heeled forward with pace to burn, threatening to take the mark of the year two games in a row when he rode on the shoulders of his opponent.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/brayden-rioli-younger-brother-of-richmonds-daniel-rioli-earns-northern-territory-football-league-rising-star-nomination-ng-b881013731z

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #733 on: January 03, 2019, 10:54:25 PM »
AFL 2019: Every club's best internal recruit

Niall Seewang, Jake Michaels and Matt Walsh
EPSN
3 January 2019

The trade and draft period delivers hope for all fans as new faces arrive to deliver excitement and expectation ahead of the following season.

However, it's not just the newbies who have the ability to push your club up the ladder - there are always existing squad members who are just as impactful as the new faces who arrive over the off-season.

Whether it be through form or fitness struggles, we've picked one player from every club who battled in 2018 but could make a huge impact in 2019.

Without further ado, it's your AFL club's best internal recruit...

Richmond

Daniel Rioli.

Tigers fans might still be seething from a shock preliminary final loss to Collingwood, but one thing that's sure to put a smile on their faces is the prospect of Rioli playing a full season. The 21-year-old was able to have a significant impact in 2018 even though he only featured in 12 of a possible 24 games.

With his ability to hit the scoreboard and apply ferocious pressure, Rioli is the type of player that can make any forward line stronger. If you have any doubts, just watch how he dismantled Hawthorn in 2018's qualifying final with three goals and 12 contested possessions.

Playing alongside Coleman Medallist Jack Riewoldt and new recruit Tom Lynch, Rioli is set to thrive and if he can stay fit, it could spell danger for the rest of the competition as Richmond searches for a second premiership in three years.

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/25550644/afl-espn-every-club-best-internal-recruit-2019

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #734 on: May 04, 2019, 12:50:01 PM »
Rioli ready to find his voice

Lauren Wood,
Herald Sun
May 4, 2019

It’s virtually uncharted territory for the Tigers, but Daniel Rioli is welcoming the challenge.

Richmond is about to embark on its longest period without spearhead Jack Riewoldt up forward in more than a decade, with the star vice-captain sidelined with a PCL injury for up to two months.

The three-time Coleman medallist — including last year’s gong as the competition’s leading goalkicker — has booted Richmond’s top tally for nine consecutive seasons.

But Rioli has declared its time for another to step up and take the reins in his teammate’s absence.

“It gives opportunity for someone to be a superstar down there,” Rioli said.

“Even for younger players coming through. Even though Stacky (Sydney Stack) doesn’t play up forward, he gets an opportunity to come in there for Alex Rance and has kicked one … the younger players are really stepping up.

“Jack is still a big help up forward — he’ll be in the rooms and giving out messages and helping the young boys that are trying to step up and play their game.

“Even though he’s out, he’s still the voice around the club.”

When it comes to voice, Rioli is looking to boost his own, revealing his own leadership aspirations.

Now in his fourth season at Punt Road — 61 games down and already looking to surpass the 118-game tally of fellow No. 17 in club legend great-uncle Maurice Rioli, who he calls his grandfather — the young gun is relishing the opportunity to become more of a leader among the fleet of speedy forwards.

“I’ve been in the system now four years, so now that we’re having younger players come in and get a game, you want to step up and be that voice and be that leader,” he said.

“Hopefully down the track it helps me get a leadership role or something. If I can be that voice and help everyone around me, it helps everyone. I’ll try and be that leader — it’s something I definitely want to improve in my game … be a bit louder on the field and show the ropes to the younger boys.”

It’s occasionally meant being a calming influence for Rioli, who admitted it has been one of the busiest years of his life after designing the club’s Dreamtime guernsey with his parents along with planning to move out of the Fevola family home, where he has stayed in recent months with girlfriend Mia — daughter of former AFL goalkicker Brendan.

One who needed it was new teammate Sydney Stack — who, like Rioli, has stayed with coach Damien Hardwick and family — who the 22-year-old said hadn’t looked back ahead of his fifth game on Saturday night.

“I remember telling Stacky in his first game against GWS — he was really nervous. We went shopping and he was so nervous that he could barely talk,” he said.

“I just told him, as soon as we got in the rooms, ‘play like you always do best. You played against men back home — just go out there and if you’re aggressive, be aggressive’.

“If you’re a young player, you don’t have to be quiet. Be yourself. And then he just came out firing. He’s an incredible player.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/daniel-rioli-reveals-his-leadership-aspirations-and-how-the-tigers-will-cover-jack-riewoldt/news-story/3877349834c589f082143104a15842cb