Author Topic: Daniel Rioli [merged]  (Read 232055 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Re: Daniel Rioli [merged]
« Reply #360 on: June 04, 2017, 09:15:31 AM »
I agree BT. Hardwick has history of selecting 'mates'.

You can't tell me he is as close to Lennon as he is Rioli. This would cause issues and a certain type of personality would respond negatively socially which I'm sure Lennon has done or is doing. This is a development issue as there isn't equality across the group.
Go Tigers!

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #361 on: June 04, 2017, 09:19:04 AM »
Thoughts

He's looked tired for weeks and will benefit from the week off more than anyone on the list.

Just a kid and clearly has niggles.

As for living with the Hardwick's. I think it's a good thing, he's obviously happy there and they are obviously happy to have him.
That's all nice and stuff but what do you think in terms of football? Genuine question

The reason I ask is I know what Paul Roos has said about getting to close to his players when he was coach and I also heard that lady on SEN that does a weekly segment (not sure if her name but she has coached the Diamonds in netball before) and she said the other day that she cannot get to close to the players as it compromises being able to make hard calls on her players.

To me that makes sense but I'm interested to hear what others think.

BT picking the side and making hard decisions on players is a match committee decision week in week out. The coach would have a big say in the matter but overall it's a group decision. And I don't have an issue with Rioli living with Dimma at all.
Fair enough

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #362 on: June 04, 2017, 09:20:31 AM »

You can't tell me he is as close to Lennon as he is Rioli. This would cause issues and a certain type of personality would respond negatively socially which I'm sure Lennon has done or is doing. This is a development issue as there isn't equality across the group.
Yer, it just doesn't sit right with me.

Anyway if we keep winning I don't care if the whole side lives at Dimma's house.

:gotigers

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #363 on: June 04, 2017, 09:21:16 AM »

Yer, it just doesn't sit right with me.

Anyway if we keep winning I don't care if the whole side lives at Dimma's house.

:gotigers

Agree!
Go Tigers!

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #364 on: June 04, 2017, 11:16:01 AM »
Chol lived at his house, is he in the side?
Lots of people name their swords......

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #365 on: June 04, 2017, 12:04:43 PM »
Chol lived at his house, is he in the side?

But Chol is in the bungalow in the backyard so it doesn't count
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #366 on: June 04, 2017, 05:11:57 PM »
Thoughts

He's looked tired for weeks and will benefit from the week off more than anyone on the list.

Just a kid and clearly has niggles.

As for living with the Hardwick's. I think it's a good thing, he's obviously happy there and they are obviously happy to have him.
That's all nice and stuff but what do you think in terms of football? Genuine question

The reason I ask is I know what Paul Roos has said about getting to close to his players when he was coach and I also heard that lady on SEN that does a weekly segment (not sure if her name but she has coached the Diamonds in netball before) and she said the other day that she cannot get to close to the players as it compromises being able to make hard calls on her players.

To me that makes sense but I'm interested to hear what others think.
Paul Roos is celebrated as a messiah-type coach far above his ability, makes me sick. No better than Hardwick IMHO.

I have no issue with players staying with the coach. Wonderful show of care from the club.

Did a lot of damage to Dusty's career...... :whistle :whistle :whistle

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #367 on: June 04, 2017, 07:05:06 PM »
LMAO @ the netball lady

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #368 on: June 04, 2017, 08:20:14 PM »
I think the bye has come at a good time for Daniel.

Yep, me too.

I think those saying he shouldn't be in the team are a little off the mark however. On what I see in games, while he isn't kicking a lot of goals, his one percenters and pressure acts are still right up there. I think he exceeds the output of both Butler and George in this regard.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #369 on: June 04, 2017, 08:29:22 PM »
I think the bye has come at a good time for Daniel.

Yep, me too.

I think those saying he shouldn't be in the team are a little off the mark however. On what I see in games, while he isn't kicking a lot of goals, his one percenters and pressure acts are still right up there. I think he exceeds the output of both Butler and George in this regard.
You are comparing him to a pick 67 (Butler) and a rookie pick (George).
Should we expect more from a first round draft pick than just "one percenters?"
Bolton imo has shown more in the last two games than Rioli has all year.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #370 on: June 04, 2017, 09:10:23 PM »

My point wasn't a comparison. It was an observation of the sum impact that our small forwards are having on games.

Everyone is lauding the defensive pressure our small forwards are putting on opposition defences. I see Rioli being a much bigger part of this than Butler or George. Sure, I'd love to see Rioli kicking more goals, but if you have a look at the combined output of the three players in the last few games, Butler and George are hitting the scoreboard, while Rioli is putting on the pressure and doing the little things.

Indeed, if you look at their season stats on the RFC website, all three are averaging 1.1-1.2 goals per game and are really close in all their other stats except 1%ers. On this score, Rioli has 18 for the season to be equal 9th in the club. Riewoldt is the next best forward with 12. Castagna has 5, and Butler 0.  (Interestingly, Dusty has only had 5 as well).

I am not suggesting that this stat is the be all and end all, but I think it does show that Rioli is having a fair impact on games. I personally think he is attracting more attention from opposition teams who are planning to limit his influence. So it is great that George and Butler are stepping up and making the most of this.

Regarding Bolton, he looks super promising. But I think it is pretty harsh to say he has shown more in two games than Rioli has all year. Glimpses of outstanding potential are a lot different to output in games and having the ability to sustain it over the longer term. RFC recruiting and player development has proved this time and time again over the years.

On what I have seen so far, I see Bolton taking the spot of Butler or George way before I see him edging Rioli.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #371 on: June 04, 2017, 09:43:11 PM »

My point wasn't a comparison. It was an observation of the sum impact that our small forwards are having on games.

Everyone is lauding the defensive pressure our small forwards are putting on opposition defences. I see Rioli being a much bigger part of this than Butler or George. Sure, I'd love to see Rioli kicking more goals, but if you have a look at the combined output of the three players in the last few games, Butler and George are hitting the scoreboard, while Rioli is putting on the pressure and doing the little things.

Indeed, if you look at their season stats on the RFC website, all three are averaging 1.1-1.2 goals per game and are really close in all their other stats except 1%ers. On this score, Rioli has 18 for the season to be equal 9th in the club. Riewoldt is the next best forward with 12. Castagna has 5, and Butler 0.  (Interestingly, Dusty has only had 5 as well).

I am not suggesting that this stat is the be all and end all, but I think it does show that Rioli is having a fair impact on games. I personally think he is attracting more attention from opposition teams who are planning to limit his influence. So it is great that George and Butler are stepping up and making the most of this.

Regarding Bolton, he looks super promising. But I think it is pretty harsh to say he has shown more in two games than Rioli has all year. Glimpses of outstanding potential are a lot different to output in games and having the ability to sustain it over the longer term. RFC recruiting and player development has proved this time and time again over the years.

On what I have seen so far, I see Bolton taking the spot of Butler or George way before I see him edging Rioli.
The big positive is he can only get better.
And like Dimma's other favourites he is almost certain not to get dropped no matter how bad he plays.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #372 on: June 04, 2017, 10:22:08 PM »

The big positive is he can only get better.
And like Dimma's other favourites he is almost certain not to get dropped no matter how bad he plays.

I definitely agree with you. Rioli is only going to get better.

And I do understand your original point about expecting more from a first round pick. To justify where we took him, he is either going to have to achieve the heights as a  small forward that Eddie or Cyril have reached, or he has to be able to go into the midfield.

I read once on a Melbourne Football Club forum a guy saying that you should never spend a first round pick on a small forward. His belief was that that type of player can be found later in the draft, if not the rookie draft (he was referring to Aaron Davey at the time). I think he was right, and Butler/George support the theory.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #373 on: June 04, 2017, 10:32:51 PM »

And I do understand your original point about expecting more from a first round pick. To justify where we took him, he is either going to have to achieve the heights as a  small forward that Eddie or Cyril have reached, or he has to be able to go into the midfield.

I read once on a Melbourne Football Club forum a guy saying that you should never spend a first round pick on a small forward. His belief was that that type of player can be found later in the draft, if not the rookie draft (he was referring to Aaron Davey at the time). I think he was right, and Butler/George support the theory.

Strongly disagree with both your points. Betts and C.Rioli 2 of the greatest small forwards of all time, certainly in the modern era. Unfairly high marker. If our Rioli is half as good as either of those guys he'll have a wonderful (and justified) career.

You should spend your first round pick on the best available talent and draft to your needs. Aside from the fact that we actually badly needed a small, crumbing forward at the time how about you have a look at the players taken around (our) Rioli's pick. He's miles ahead of them at this stage:

1    15    Daniel Rioli    Richmond    North Ballarat Rebels    TAC Cup    
1    16    Harrison Himmelberg    Greater Western Sydney    Mangoplah-CUE    RFNL    Academy player; Adelaide's bid matched with picks 48, 50, 55 and 59[128]
1    17    Tom Doedee    Adelaide    Geelong Falcons    TAC Cup    
1    18    Jade Gresham    St Kilda    Northern Knights    TAC Cup    Traded from Sydney
1    19    Ryan Burton    Hawthorn    North Adelaide    SANFL    Traded from North Melbourne
1    20    Brayden Fiorini    Gold Coast    Northern Knights    TAC Cup    Traded from Fremantle
1    21    Ben McKay    North Melbourne    Gippsland Power    TAC Cup    Traded from Brisbane Lions; received from West Coast
1    22    Kieran Lovell    Hawthorn    Tigers FC    TSL    
1    23    David Cuningham    Carlton    Oakleigh Chargers    TAC Cup    Traded from Richmond; received from Gold Coast; received from Greater Western Sydney via a trade in 2012; received from Fremantle in 2011; compensation pick from 2011 (Palmer)
2    24    Ben Keays    Brisbane Lions    Brisbane Lions    NEAFL    Academy player; Western Bulldogs' bid matched with Brisbane's next pick[128]
2    25    Josh Dunkley    Western Bulldogs    Gippsland Power    TAC Cup    Traded from Carlton; father-son eligible (son of Andrew Dunkley), but Sydney did not match bid[128]
2    26    Kieran Collins    Western Bulldogs    Dandenong Stingrays    TAC Cup    Traded from Carlton; received from Brisbane Lions
2    27    Darcy Tucker    Fremantle    North Ballarat Rebels    TAC Cup    Traded from Gold Coast
2    28    Luke Partington    West Coast    Norwood    SANFL    Traded from Sydney; received from Essendon
2    29    Alex Morgan    Essendon    Oakleigh Chargers    TAC Cup    Traded from St Kilda
2    30    Mason Redman    Essendon    Glenelg    SANFL    Traded from Melbourne
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_AFL_draft

Perhaps Gresham and Burton are at his level.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #374 on: June 04, 2017, 11:51:38 PM »
Burton is ahead of Rioli (was a huge risk though) as is Tucker and Dunkley (although Dunkley was much more ready made) and I'd argue Gresham as a small forward is in the discussion too. To say "he's miles ahead of them" is completely off the mark