Author Topic: Daniel Rioli [merged]  (Read 237277 times)

Dougeytherichmondfan

Re: Daniel Rioli [merged]
« Reply #435 on: July 31, 2017, 03:16:25 PM »
He chases blokes even when most give up because they look like they are well clear and are about to take a cozy kick, he did this and blasted in at the last second which caused a balk on the kick and a turnover to our favor.  He does this over and over.  He is unselfish and dedicated even when most people are smoked, he digs deep for a 1 percenter.  Just watch the replay of how many times he does it
Its incredible how effective that inferred pressure is, when a player does have time and space for a clean kick but feels pressured to move it half a second faster than they have to. I feel our turnaround in form and competitiveness this year is largely due to the forward pressure forcing mistakes on the the opp's rebound. Would be very interested to know how often we force turnovers in the middle of the ground as a result of a sloppy kick out of defence.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #436 on: August 17, 2017, 03:53:38 AM »
Respected football analyst David King rates exciting, young Richmond small forward Daniel Rioli as “the best pressure player in the competition”.

King, a dual premiership player with North Melbourne, believes Rioli has been the catalyst for the elite level of pressure that’s been so successfully applied by the Tigers in their forward half throughout the 2017 season.

“This team relies on turnovers in their offensive half of the ground. It’s been fantastic . . . it’s been a masterstroke in terms of coaching. But Daniel Rioli, he sets the way,” King said on ‘Fox Footy’.

“Multiple efforts, that’s what it’s all about and he drags (Dan) Butler with him. (Jason) Castagna sees the standard. (Trent) Cotchin and (Dustin) Martin, when they rest forward, know they’ve got to put pressure on because this team relies on time in forward half.

“You can never rest against Daniel Rioli.

“Most players defend a perimeter 10-15 metres around them. But this guy, he goes 15, 20, 25 metres.

“When he takes off, when he chases, when he puts you in the sights, you are gone. He will not be denied . . .

“He’s unbelievable.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2017-08-16/rioli-a-pressure-pacesetter

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #437 on: August 17, 2017, 07:09:26 AM »
Tracking beautifully. :clapping
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #438 on: August 17, 2017, 09:17:49 AM »
I think after another pre season we will really start to see where he's heading as a player.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #439 on: August 17, 2017, 12:02:52 PM »
Better than Oliver  :shh

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #440 on: August 17, 2017, 11:24:29 PM »
thats it then. King thinks the kid can play will now likely be delisted in two yrs time.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #441 on: August 17, 2017, 11:29:04 PM »
seriously is probably the most overhyped and over rated player we have.
Yes he has potential and i sure as hell hope his ceiling is a damn sight higher than what hes shown.
But until he reaches the heights he is what he is just another promising kid who has a long long way to go.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #442 on: August 18, 2017, 12:05:14 AM »
seriously is probably the most overhyped and over rated player we have.
Yes he has potential and i sure as hell hope his ceiling is a damn sight higher than what hes shown.
But until he reaches the heights he is what he is just another promising kid who has a long long way to go.
Yep. Can't argue with that.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #443 on: August 18, 2017, 08:53:39 AM »
I did a footywire same age comparison between Rioli and Betts and they are virtually identical in all facets. Both players averaging 10.9 disposals/game, 3marks a game and a goal a game.

Eddie didn't crack 30+ goals a season until season 5 so I am happy to be patient with Rioli

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #444 on: August 18, 2017, 11:07:41 AM »
I did a footywire same age comparison between Rioli and Betts and they are virtually identical in all facets. Both players averaging 10.9 disposals/game, 3marks a game and a goal a game.

Eddie didn't crack 30+ goals a season until season 5 so I am happy to be patient with Rioli
Exactly.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #445 on: August 18, 2017, 07:58:44 PM »
Wasn't Eddie Betts a rookie?
It's pretty clear he was a late bloomer...

Rioli was a first round pick, he should be miles ahead of a rookie pick at the same age.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #446 on: August 18, 2017, 08:07:43 PM »

Rioli was a first round pick, he should be miles ahead of a rookie pick at the same age.

I'm not sure you understand what we are saying.

Do you really think Eddie Betts would have been taken as a rookie if they knew that that's how he'll turn out?

Recruiters made a mistake with Betts. Rioli is tracking the same way. If someone told you Rioli would be like Betts would you take him as a later pick and miss out on him?

Rioli was taken for his future ability and not his ability in his first or second year or even third year. His ceiling is very high.

At this stage only Ryan Burton has arguably played better than him (at draft pick 15 and beyond) and he was a risk with a terrible break in his leg predraft. What would you have done?

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #447 on: August 18, 2017, 08:33:30 PM »

Do you really think Eddie Betts would have been taken as a rookie if they knew that that's how he'll turn out?

Recruiters made a mistake with Betts. Rioli is tracking the same way. If someone told you Rioli would be like Betts would you take him as a later pick and miss out on him?

Rioli was taken for his future ability and not his ability in his first or second year or even third year. His ceiling is very high.

At this stage only Ryan Burton has arguably played better than him (at draft pick 15 and beyond) and he was a risk with a terrible break in his leg predraft. What would you have done?

Unfortunately rationality doesn't count when someone doesn't like a player because he has a famous name

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #448 on: August 18, 2017, 08:47:37 PM »

Unfortunately rationality doesn't count when someone doesn't like a player because he has a famous name
I don't not like Rioli, I just think he has done stuff all to get the high praise he does regardless of his last name.
I have a feeling if his name wasn't Rioli a few wouldn't be so complementary.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #449 on: August 19, 2017, 12:23:20 AM »
Betts was pick 3 in the 2004 preseason draft. We took Trent Knobel at pick 1  :P.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_AFL_draft

Betts played 19 games in his first season (2005) kicking 19 goals as an 18 year old. Playing in rubbish Carlton teams early on probably gave the impression that he was a late bloomer. His better years at the Blues correspond with them playing finals. Betts had a downer in 2013 before moving to Adelaide where he's gone to another level playing in a top 4 side.

He's had a dream run injury wise by the way. He's rarely missed a game in 13 years.

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/E/Eddie_Betts.html