Author Topic: Francis Jackson's rookie draft review  (Read 11261 times)

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
Re: Francis Jackson's rookie draft review
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2015, 08:32:00 PM »
Martin was good at half back....even if it was robbing Peter to pay Paul...

Did you mean robbing Meter to pay Maul?
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2015, 09:30:48 PM »
Robbing a parking revenue collection device to pay the bad guy from A Phantom Menace?
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2015, 12:26:20 AM »
What is sad are people who are happy  to see the same mistakes being made  over and over again and  for some reason expecting  different results.That really  is the epitomy of madness.
There really is only two tall players on the list who have come thru our system who have primarily been played in their best position as juniors and surprise surprise they just happen to be the only two decent talls we have.
The way things normally work is most clubs not richmond will attempt to develop kids in the roles they have shown they do best in. If they struggle then something else is tried.

People really are in denial if they think swapping roles has worked for us, it has basically been a massive failure.

This kid is a rookie pick i have no problem with us taking him but if we were after a kpd there were better options available to us before this pick.
I actually think  at 192cm being real quick and a good mark he is the one type of tall forward we DONT have.
been through this before. have asked claw whether we should take the player rated lower just because he played backline as a junior rather than the higher rated KPF. never get a response.

same as when asked why a player should be pigeon holed into one position for his whole career based on 1 or 2 years of junior football

its also ignoring that this kid has played in defense........

Im sorry penny i dont read all of your posts and have probably missed your questions. To be honest i pay scant attention to any of your posts as one can only take so much stupidity.
Can you name just 1 tall player in the last 10 years that we have managed to convert from one position to another that has become a very good player for us.Yet your all for a continuation of the same sort of nonsense. you know smart people actually look and learn from mistakes that are made. Others it seems are doomed to keep on repeating them over and over.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2015, 09:32:17 AM »
nice deflection.

i take each bit of abuse and insult as a badge of honour.
but the unanswered legitimate questions are what i really enjoy.

keep up the good work, rambling man :cheers
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2015, 09:38:03 AM »
You all need to calm the stuff down and take your evening primrose right now.  I am shocked at this petulant display!
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2015, 11:22:59 AM »
You all need to calm the stuff down and take your evening primrose right now.  I am shocked at this petulant display!
:lol
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2015, 11:27:40 AM »
Robbing a parking revenue collection device to pay the bad guy from A Phantom Menace?

:lol  :thumbsup
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2015, 06:49:09 PM »
Reiwoldt up the ground worked well actually what are you talking about :huh

Griff going back was only to teach him a few things. Don't know how you can determine whether it worked but he did go back forward to play a lot better.

Rance to the backline worked didn't it? What about Edwards to the midfield? McIntosh to a wing?

No it didn't and go back and listen to all the talk during the year. Everyone, was calling for Reiwoldt to be moved back to the goal square, we he was the results showed!!

Crap, he was moved there as a CHB....pffft, did not work and they changed him back to a forward.

Whos said anything about Rance and he never played anywhere other than back with us. McIntosh has always been on the wing and Edwards has been put in the centre/back/forward since he joined us, its only the last two years that he has clicked on to what he needs to do.

Stop grasping at straws.

You're kidding right? Don't remember the commontators banging on about how Reiwoldt is more complete now, travelling more ground and bringing the main forward away from goal so players like Vickery can kick goals?

McIntosh was a HBF moved to the wing. Edwards can't possibly play multiple positions because that would defy your logic of never moving a player from their original positon.

Callum hasn't played anywhere for us so we can play him anywhere by your logic :shh

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2015, 07:21:08 PM »
very loose use of the term "logic" me thinks

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2015, 07:45:02 PM »
Reiwoldt up the ground worked well actually what are you talking about :huh

Griff going back was only to teach him a few things. Don't know how you can determine whether it worked but he did go back forward to play a lot better.

Rance to the backline worked didn't it? What about Edwards to the midfield? McIntosh to a wing?

No it didn't and go back and listen to all the talk during the year. Everyone, was calling for Reiwoldt to be moved back to the goal square, we he was the results showed!!

Crap, he was moved there as a CHB....pffft, did not work and they changed him back to a forward.

Whos said anything about Rance and he never played anywhere other than back with us. McIntosh has always been on the wing and Edwards has been put in the centre/back/forward since he joined us, its only the last two years that he has clicked on to what he needs to do.

Stop grasping at straws.

You're kidding right? Don't remember the commontators banging on about how Reiwoldt is more complete now, travelling more ground and bringing the main forward away from goal so players like Vickery can kick goals?

McIntosh was a HBF moved to the wing. Edwards can't possibly play multiple positions because that would defy your logic of never moving a player from their original positon.

Callum hasn't played anywhere for us so we can play him anywhere by your logic :shh
Mcintosh is a tall hbf playing on the wing.He could make a very good third tall who provides plenty of run. We play that hack Batchelor down back instead,  and have had to bring in Yarran to find some run yet at no stage have attempted to play McIntosh anywhere but wing, go figure.

Edwards was very much a midfielder when drafted he was played forward early on because of his size 69kg when drafted. Dont let the facts ruin a good rant eh.

Jack Riewoldt played his best football at chf as a junior I have long called for him to play that role and we actively go out and find a top notch fwd to compliment him.We only have one good kpf everything else is riding on a wing and a prayer.

Hmm Post, Astbury, Griffiths, Elton, Vickery, even Mc Bean to a lesser extent,  McGuane, Pattison, most of the junior talls we have drafted in the last 10 yrs have been shuffled around like a deck of cards and what do we have to show for it.

Heres a novel idea, if a kid shows his best in a certain position lets have him play that position to start with.
If after awhile he struggles sure try him else where or if he needs to add to his game sure try him else where.  but first at least allow him to establish his credentials in the role that got him drafted to start with and gives him the best chance to shine.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2015, 07:49:30 PM »

Mcintosh is a tall hbf playing on the wing.He could make a very good third tall who provides plenty of run. We play that hack Batchelor down back instead,  and have had to bring in Yarran to find some run yet at no stage have attempted to play McIntosh anywhere but wing, go figure.

Edwards was very much a midfielder when drafted he was played forward early on because of his size 69kg when drafted. Dont let the facts ruin a good rant eh.

Jack Riewoldt played his best football at chf as a junior I have long called for him to play that role and we actively go out and find a top notch fwd to compliment him.We only have one good kpf everything else is riding on a wing and a prayer.

Hmm Post, Astbury, Griffiths, Elton, Vickery, even Mc Bean to a lesser extent,  McGuane, Pattison, most of the junior talls we have drafted in the last 10 yrs have been shuffled around like a deck of cards and what do we have to show for it.

Heres a novel idea, if a kid shows his best in a certain position lets have him play that position to start with.
If after awhile he struggles sure try him else where or if he needs to add to his game sure try him else where.  but first at least allow him to establish his credentials in the role that got him drafted to start with and gives him the best chance to shine.

Ahuh so you agree with me? Thanks :thumbsup

Offline Jonesracing82

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2015, 08:56:52 PM »
i'd argue that moving Astbury to the backline was a good move, given his form at the beginning of 2014 before injury, if his body is up to it he should be able to hold down a spot there in the near future

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2015, 09:30:03 PM »
I see the talent manager at the Calder Cannons also sees Callum as a key defender long term. Yes we don't have a super fast great marking 192 cm forward but he just looks like a key defender in the making. Big frame, aggressive, great mark, fast, super leap, runs all day.......watch out when we tidy up his decision making and kicking. Still has time to grow and has the opportunity to learn from the best defender in the business, Rance. I'm exited on what he can be.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2015, 10:00:22 PM »
what would the talent manager at calder cannons know?
Oh, hang on. It  is those looking after these kids at junior level that know what is best for these kids and they decide their position for life. Anyone going against this clearly has no idea.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2015, 10:03:56 PM »
It's his set shot kicking that seems to be the main problem, his field kicking doesn't look too bad.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.