Author Topic: Top 10 Oz songs  (Read 10339 times)

Ox

Re: Top 10 Oz songs
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2005, 01:52:48 PM »
What about the Bee Gees ?

No , they were poms.

Moi

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2005, 02:00:04 PM »
If i had a choice out of that lot it would be Eagle Rock - never get sick of it and is as fresh as the day it was released.
Who picked this stuff lol
 :rollin

Just goes to show the difference in musical tastes because.............................

Eagle Rock - is one of my all time disliked songs - if I never hear it again it would fantastic  ;D

You would have loved being my bro WP - i would have driven you insane like i did everyone else playing that song.  That and "Come Back Again" and "Baby Let Me Bang Your Box" hahahah!  Memories lol  :rollin

Moi

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2005, 02:07:40 PM »
Not much of a chisel fan these days - they've been done to death.  But my favourite of theirs was "When the War Is Over". 

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2005, 11:34:14 PM »
Yeah I like that song too. :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2005, 07:17:02 AM »
Yeah "when the war is over" and "flame trees" were my favourite Chisel songs.

IIRC Sherbet's "Howzat", John Farnham's "Your the voice", Olivia Newton-John - "I honestly love you" were also in the top 20 along with Natalie Imbruglia's "Torn". I didn't see the rest but I'm guessing Johnny O'Keefe's "Shout" and the Seekers "Georgie girl" would have been in there too for Ch 9's demographic. Nothing from Hunters and Collectors ???, Silverchair or Killing Heidi's "Weir"?

What about Aussie classics like "shut uppa your face" by Joe Dolce or Pseudo Echo :o LOL.

Maybe all these songs are Mr. Packer's favourites.

C'mon Aussie C'mon would have been number 1 lol.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2005, 09:11:34 AM »

What about Aussie classics like "shut uppa your face" by Joe Dolce

Bottom 10 songs by "celebrities" (I use those inverted commas loosely) would be more fun, and the competition would be fierce.
Franco Cozzo
Warwick Capper ;D
Abigail - she did a French number. I'm sure she did lots of French numbers but, in this case, I mean a song.
Mark Jackson
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2005, 12:06:26 AM »

What about Aussie classics like "shut uppa your face" by Joe Dolce

Bottom 10 songs by "celebrities" (I use those inverted commas loosely) would be more fun, and the competition would be fierce.
Franco Cozzo
Warwick Capper ;D
Abigail - she did a French number. I'm sure she did lots of French numbers but, in this case, I mean a song.
Mark Jackson

LOL

Kerri-Anne Kennerley
Sam Newman
Kayne Pettifer ;D
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2005, 03:33:34 PM »
Where did Peter Andre's Funky Junky come in?

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2005, 04:18:34 PM »

What do i think ?

I think the nations mentality needs to get over songs that endear ouselves to songs that describe the landscape an the bogan psyche
1. Easybeats - Friday on my mind - :thumbsup
2. Men at Work - Down Under - If the lyric was up 'n under it wouldnt be here
3. Daddy Cool - Eagle Rock =  :thumbsup
4. Peter Allen - I still call Australia home.- Good song but again,more self adulation
5. INXS - Never tear us apart- I would have opted for "Remeniscin'" by LRB.
6. Crowded House - Don't dream it's over- Kiwi song :shh
7. Cold Chisel - Khe Sahn - LMAO. Great song though :thumbsup
8. Flowers/Icehouse - Great Southern Land - Again with the "our place is cool" stuff.
I agree we are the greatest countery in the world but lets keep it to ourselves and not judge everything by it.
9. Kylie - Locomotion - SERIOUS ? Real Aussie tune this one  ???Who wrote it ?
10. Midnight Oil - Beds are Burning -  As genuine a protest song as u can get. :thumbsup

but thats just what i rekkon n' that.

lmfaooo some good calls.

I think we need to stop trying to forge an identity as bush dwelling ocker bumpkins in love with our land. The way our cultural creators sing, write and produce films it's no suprise that foreigners get the impression that we ride on the backs of kangaroos on the way to work.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2005, 04:24:47 PM »

Thanks Jules.

I'm not the world's biggest AC/DC fan, but I could find 4 or 5 songs that slot above several of those. And that is before you start talking about the quality of the live performance. Icehouse ROFLMAOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Essentially channel 9 are cowering to the sort of people who are likely to be watching, and be as inoffensive as possible. Look at their line-up.

7:30 Getaway
8:30 20-to-1
9:30 RPA

Who in their right mind wants to watch other people go on holiday and have a great time. I'll be stuffed if I am paying for Tom Williams or some other talentless bum to go strutting around the world on advertising revenue. This ranks as close to the most depressing show on TV.

Who in their right mind wants to know some jumped up limp-wristed vaggots opinion of the best 20 songs ever. The fact that locomotion and peter allen are there more or less confirms that it was chosen by a dag rattler.

Who in their right mind wants to watch people dying in hospital.

I don't want to sound as if I am having a go at anyone who watched this, but WTF has TV come to?

roflmaooo, great post. Couldn't agree more.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2005, 04:34:55 PM »

Tied with Redgums "I was only 19" I would suggest  ;) ;D

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2005, 04:39:18 PM »

Tied with Redgums "I was only 19" I would suggest  ;) ;D

:rollin

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2005, 04:41:04 PM »
I think we need to stop trying to forge an identity as bush dwelling ocker bumpkins in love with our land. The way our cultural creators sing, write and produce films it's no suprise that foreigners get the impression that we ride on the backs of kangaroos on the way to work.

It's funny you should say that JohnF - I was reading Sunday's HUN, Eva Longoria from "Desperate Housewives" who was a guest at Derby Day made a comment about this very thing and I thought 1/ she makes a lot of sense and 2/ sometimes we are own worst enemy

This is what she said :

"You always hear about this country called Down Under and all the cliches, like how everyone looks like Crocodile Dundee," Longoria said.
"That's the only correlation we Americans have so it's nice to come here and know it's totally wrong."

Full article http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,17085138%255E2862,00.html
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2005, 04:52:06 PM »

It's funny you should say that JohnF - I was reading Sunday's HUN, Eva Longoria from "Desperate Housewives" who was a guest at Derby Day made a comment about this very thing and I thought 1/ she makes a lot of sense and 2/ sometimes we are own worst enemy

This is what she said :

"You always hear about this country called Down Under and all the cliches, like how everyone looks like Crocodile Dundee," Longoria said.
"That's the only correlation we Americans have so it's nice to come here and know it's totally wrong."

Full article http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,17085138%255E2862,00.html

Good spot WP. She wouldn't be alone in thinking that.

We did little to dispel this image the last time we had the world stage (Sydney Olympics). The best we could do is trot out tired cliche's about corrigated iron sheds, victor lawn mowers and sheep sheering bogans.

roflmaooo@Greg Norman smacking golf balls into the crowd.