Author Topic: What does it feel like ?  (Read 2215 times)

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
What does it feel like ?
« on: February 16, 2016, 12:51:18 PM »
To win a premiership.

I'm sure some of my fellow posters are old enough to remember 1980. Please share your memories.  I was just a seven year back then more interested in Stars Wars than footy.

Sure Australia winning various world cups over time has filled me with a certain amount of euphoria but it's not the same.

I've followed other sporting teams ( NRL ) that have lost GFs - so I know what that feels like .

My old man is passionate West Coast Eagles supporter - he described their premierships as " anti climatic " . I was shocked.

I would party for the entire off season if Richmond ever won the flag .
Unleash the tornado

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
Re: What does it feel like ?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 01:10:08 PM »
Id party for a week if RFC won any final  :P

Im not much older than you so dont really remember the 1980 GF.
Although its not AFL or any sport at elite level, i know what it was like when my sons team won in colts (i was a trainer) and i coached a few basketball teams to vicory.  It truly is a great feeling to be part of it, the build up is nerve racking, then if you win it is a bit of an anti climax once your nerves have settled and its all said and done.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 01:13:12 PM »
You'll never know if the club keeps peddling the same kind of mediocrity you and others here champion...

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to soil this thread with their negativity.

I was thinking at least 2 posts. Well done.
Mat073, I am with you here, there is a lot of negativity on this site, I think a bit of premiership fantasy is a good thing.

The number of people who constantly bag players and the coach, I just don't get it.

There are 18 teams, only one can win each year, all are trying to improve.
IMHO we have come a long way in the last 10 years.
Imagine how you would feel if you had experienced the Carlton or Essendon train wrecks??

I recall the Collingwood St Kilda draw, a great mate of mine and ardent Pie fan couldn't watch the last 5 minutes of the game he was so distressed.
I get like that in a home and way game. (pitiful)

But I also get how your Dad must have felt as well.

Well, we can only hope we get the opportunity to get that feeling in the next few years.

I, for one, like your post.

I am unsure what a "little happy clapper fantasty world",  is fantasty something you eat??

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 01:47:17 PM »
I remember the 1980 Grand Final very well

Was still only a kid but it is the first one i really remember. Cant remember 73 or 74 but 1980, definitely

Remember running around thw house like a lunatic after we won. Ran into next door screaming that we'd won.

Sevens Big League was on striaght after the news and they replayed bits of the game. So i watched

In those days Ch2 had a show called the winners, watched the game again

Sunday morning watched World of Sport because we were the main story.

Wore my footy jumper under my school jumper on the Monday. Ma Powell told people i had gone mad  ;D

I was just so proud

Move onto 1982 and I'll be  honest if anyone had said to me we wouldn't make a aonther GF let alone not win for another 30+ years id had said they were nuts.

But winning a GF is a great feeling

I'll never stop believing that we will get there again one day and when we do I will saviour it
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 12:08:13 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 02:59:45 PM »
Snip! The OP is clear about what this thread is about - It's asking those who were alive to see any of our premierships up until 1980 to share what they remember and the euphoria they felt. It's about reminiscing! There's plenty of other threads to whinge about the subsequent three decades to the present  ::). Now stick to the topic!

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 04:30:00 PM »
Back in the seventies Richmond was winning all the time.

So when we won the 1980 grand final I celebrated big time but there was still this thought about how it would always be like this.

I would had continued the celebrations for all of October 1980 if I had of known what was in store for us for the next 35 years

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 06:00:19 PM »
Snip! The OP is clear about what this thread is about - It's asking those who were alive to see any of our premierships up until 1980 to share what they remember and the euphoria they felt. It's about reminiscing! There's plenty of other threads to whinge about the subsequent three decades to the present  ::). Now stick to the topic!

And yet you leave the initial provocation comment about 'little happy clapper fantasy' in the thread.

Nice one.

No wonder there is such a rift.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 06:11:48 PM »
I remember 1980 like it was yesterday!  I also remember '73-'74 very well (was there for both) & I even have a vague memory of watching the after-match replay of '69. 
For the '80 GF my family went into the club during GF week to pick up our tickets, we were given seats in the members section in the 1st level of the Northern Stand, which was slightly disappointing because we wanted to sit in the terrace closer to the action (like we always did).  We climbed up the stairs to get to the 1st level & started walking down the aisle looking for our row.  We went further & further until we realized that our row, row A, was the front row - over looking the Collingwood cheer squad below us!  I was feeling a sense of familiarity, the victories in '73-'74 felt very close, the whole day felt the same as it did back then.  I just sort of knew that we were going to win because it all felt so calm & familiar.  I felt confident that we knew how to win a premiership & that it was just another game for us, but by contrast, I could feel the nervousness of the filth supporters below us, the stench of nervous sweat & the reek of imminent death was welling up from below.  Even the filth supporters knew it was over before it even began. 
After all the pomp & ceremonies the umpire bounced the ball & it all fell into place, we had the filth by the neck from the first minute to the last.  By the start of the last quarter we were well into party mode!  Our victory was assured & the last quarter was a glorious parade, aptly kicking to the Punt Rd end.  Then KB pulled that magical move around the boundary line, burning Stan Magro off & slotting a brilliant goal from the flank.  My seat was in a perfect direct line behind the kick when KB put it onto his boot, I knew it was a goal from the moment it left his boot!  I was the first to know it was going through the middle & I leaped up out of my seat cheering as the ball was only halfway home.  Then I looked down at the filth below me to see what they thought of it ... they were packing up & leaving!  I nearly fell over the railing waving goodbye to them!  Many two fingered salutes to the filth later the siren went & the whole ground erupted into a yellow & black frenzy!  The 'Yellow & Black' line in our victory song shook the ground to its foundations, I actually felt the stand shaking under my feet!  Our boys lap of honor with the cup in hand just went on & on ... & continued on in the JD stand of PRO.  It is still going too, the feeling is still there, all these year later I can still feel the stands shaking!  Dale Weightman wore the Premiership Cup like a big silver hat as he strutted around the PRO!
Call me nostalgic, call me whatever you like, but I will never forget that day!  That was the day we ruled the world ... 
Now, that day seems a long way away.  But every time a Tiger player breaks free on the flank heading to the Punt Road end I see KB leaving the world in his wake of whispy hair ... & the ball sailing through the middle.  Good times, great view & nothing can take it away from me!  No amount of doom & gloom from a few of the negative types will ever quell those feelings.  We will get back there one day ... one day. 
I remember standing in the pocket out at Princes Park on a dismal day in mid '76 watching Hawthorn kick goal after goal to bury us while we kicked 2.20 for the day, I was thinking that we wont ever see times like '73 & '74 again.  A Premiership seemed a long way away, even then ... then things turned around, little by little ... 
Go Tigers!         
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 06:15:34 PM »

And yet you leave the initial provocation comment about 'little happy clapper fantasy' in the thread.

Nice one.

No wonder there is such a rift.

I think that you might've missed the point here Dooks.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 10:59:49 PM »
Good post JP. It must have been great to lean over from your front row seat and waving the filth beneath you goodbye.
It was certainly a great feeling telling them to go home when we spanked them by 90 pts last year. There would be nothing better than to do it to them in a granny.

My wish for our next flag is that it is not against an expansion side. Being a year younger than Mat073, I too am very hazy about the 1980 GF, yet I am crystal clear about how crap we were in the 80's- and in my view we still have some scores to settle from then.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 11:16:51 PM »
You'll never know if the club keeps peddling the same kind of mediocrity you and others here champion...

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to soil this thread with their negativity.

I was thinking at least 2 posts. Well done.
Mat073, I am with you here, there is a lot of negativity on this site, I think a bit of premiership fantasy is a good thing.

The number of people who constantly bag players and the coach, I just don't get it.

There are 18 teams, only one can win each year, all are trying to improve.
IMHO we have come a long way in the last 10 years.
Imagine how you would feel if you had experienced the Carlton or Essendon train wrecks??

I recall the Collingwood St Kilda draw, a great mate of mine and ardent Pie fan couldn't watch the last 5 minutes of the game he was so distressed.
I get like that in a home and way game. (pitiful)

But I also get how your Dad must have felt as well.

Well, we can only hope we get the opportunity to get that feeling in the next few years.

I, for one, like your post

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 02:41:29 AM »
In 1980 I was lucky enough to have an older brother that liked taking his kid brother to the footy. Every week we would put on the Ol' duffle coat & we would catch buses, trains & trams and we always bought the footy record too. We went to every game that year except we weren't allowed to travel to Sydney to see us thrash St.Kilda, I was as devastated as I was when we had drew against the saints earlier in the season both times crying like a baby for days. I was 9 years old.

What a great year to be involved in the week to week of Saturday arvo VFL footy, everything about that year was awesome.

On grand final day we had tickets for standing room behind the goals at the city end but I didn't care where I stood really as I was just glad to be there. I didn't even have to find beer cans to stand on as luckily there was a bunch of blokes that let me stand on their esky as long as I got off when they needed another beer.

KB was my favourite player and he had a brilliant finals series.  I think I gave him the biggest cheer of all when he got the Norm Smith medal.

This memory I will always have but I would love nothing more than to add more recent great memories to it, back then I couldn't even imagine us ever being a mediocre team as I just expected us to always be in finals.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 11:29:48 AM »
It feels great. Funny thing about this thread is I was talking to someone about this just two days ago.
I can't really remember '67. Remember listening to '69 on the radio. Watched '73 and '74 and was in HSC in for 1980 and it was just fantastic. At the age of 18, I thought "How easy is this!!!" Five premierships in my lifetime already!!! Little did I know the drought of the next 35+ years was about to start though.......... >:(
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 12:19:17 PM »
I have blocked the grand finals I remember from my memory just so I can wallow in self pity and mediocrity