Author Topic: The new CHF? (RFC Site)  (Read 1521 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
The new CHF? (RFC Site)
« on: November 10, 2005, 07:22:29 PM »
The new CHF?

6:01:01 PM Thu 10 November, 2005
Matt Burgan
Exclusive to afl.com.au

Richmond has earmarked young tall Adam Pattison as its centre half-forward for 2006.

The 19-year-old played two AFL matches in his first AFL-listed year in 2005, but already Pattison is being groomed to take on the key post next year, allowing club great Matthew Richardson to stay closer to goal in 2006.

"The plan for the pre-season is to train me as the high centre half-forward and Richo (Matthew Richardson) and Staff (Greg Stafford) back near the goalsquare, so I can use my endurance to move around," Pattison told afl.com.au.

"I've got to get my body right to be in the ruck, so I'd say at the moment, I'll be playing up forward."

But at the moment, Pattison is focusing on getting his body right, after a "shoulder scope" during the off-season. But he said he was about "two or three weeks" away from being 100 per cent.

"I wanted to get the shoulder right and do a lot of running, but I've done a lot more leg weights and I think I've got a bit stronger in the legs and I've put on a few more kilos and I'm up to 96kgs now," Pattison said.

"I was 90 kilos when I came here and I've put on six kilos in a year, so hopefully I will be able to put on a few more."

Pattison is aiming to be 98 or 99 kilograms by the start of the 2006 season.

On reflection of his first season, Pattison said it had been "an awesome experience".

"It was good to get through the pre-season (last season)…and get a couple of games, which was really good," Pattison said.

"I wasn't totally satisfied with what I did in those games, so hopefully that'll drive me through this pre-season - I think it is a bit - because I would have liked to have played a few more games."

Pattison was voted Richmond's best performed player for the Coburg Tigers in the VFL this year.

"My VFL form was pretty good, but I didn't adapt as well as I would have liked, but I didn't have a lot of game-time as well," Pattison said.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=236774
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: The new CHF? (RFC Site)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 07:24:49 PM »
"I was 90 kilos when I came here and I've put on six kilos in a year, so hopefully I will be able to put on a few more."

Hell-lay-loo-ya

That's what I like to hear - the kids bulking up  :bow :thumbsup

Don't know about the CHF bit but I agree Patto isn't ready to be playing in the ruck, he needs to get bigger especially in the upper body
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

letsgetiton!

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 06:19:56 AM »

Hell-lay-loo-ya

That's what I like to hear - the kids bulking up  :bow :thumbsup

Don't know about the CHF bit but I agree Patto isn't ready to be playing in the ruck, he needs to get bigger especially in the upper body

i agree but one of his stregnths is his running stamina and endurance, if he plays smart , he could use that to his advantage and 1/ cre8 havoc 4 chb's. and 2/ creat a big hole 4 richo to lead into.

so i guess the good news is snake will be no.1 ruck, staff playing second ruck and fwd, so where does knobel fit in, on the bench or coburg

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 07:10:15 AM »
Terry is obviously showing plenty of faith in the youngsters which is good to see. A good effort to put on 8-9kg in one year from Patto :o. Makes you laugh when you think of Fiora lol.   

I'm not a fan of Richo playing close to the goalsquare. He is in his 30s but his athletic ability is his main weapon. Hopefully we'll mix it up a bit going forward so we don't end up predictably bombing long to the goalsquare with 3 defenders hanging off Richo as has happened in the past so many times.

so where does knobel fit in, on the bench or coburg

If Simmonds, Patto and Staff are all playing in the one side then I can't see Knobel in the team as well. He'll be more a back up for Staff who usually now misses a number of games each year through injury or suspension.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 12:18:18 PM »
Problem is, Richo + CHF = More injuries, earlier retirement.

Richo + FF = Less injuries, more footy!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 04:44:55 PM »

That's true Razor but Richo is smothered when he plays from the goalsquare. It may be a good idea for stretching out Richo's career but it hasn't previously been a good idea tactically for the rest of the team. His teammates become lazy and go the long bomb and Richo IMO spends too much time wrestling with the full-backs without typically achieving much reward in terms of outmarking his opponent through outbodying him. Alistair Lynch of course was the master at this and that's who we are trying to copy with Richo.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2005, 05:02:02 PM »
Very happy to see Patto putting on weight and being earmarked for development on-field next season.

Looking forward to seeing Patto take a pack mark (something spoon-hands Simmons could not do at CHF) and develop the below-the-knees to handball skills.

Patto the dude that is a Big Unit, has a Big Engine with a Big Heart.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2005, 05:10:25 PM »

That's true Razor but Richo is smothered when he plays from the goalsquare. It may be a good idea for stretching out Richo's career but it hasn't previously been a good idea tactically for the rest of the team. His teammates become lazy and go the long bomb and Richo IMO spends too much time wrestling with the full-backs without typically achieving much reward in terms of outmarking his opponent through outbodying him. Alistair Lynch of course was the master at this and that's who we are trying to copy with Richo.

it could work if our players play smarter and see that he has 3 opponents and pass the ball th ethe tigers fwds in space that are free to make the 3 on richo players accountable 4 their own men not just richo

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2005, 05:55:24 PM »
Exactly, it didn't work in 2004 because we played loose men in defense and took way too long to move the ball upfield, thus giving the opposition ampul time to flood back!