Author Topic: Richmond on road to clearing debt  (Read 3778 times)

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
Richmond on road to clearing debt
« on: November 08, 2005, 09:25:10 AM »
Richmond on road to clearing debt
By Mark Robinson
November 8, 2005

RICHMOND has kept its pre-season promise and will announce a balance sheet turnaround of $2.2 million at its annual meeting.

Significantly, the Tigers are also expected to make a small profit of between $50,000 and $200,000.

A combination of cost-cutting in the football department and revenue growth, particularly in sponsorship and membership, has spearheaded the club's transformation.

Tigers chief executive Steven Wright said yesterday the result was indicative of the club's stable environment.

"It shows some stability, and stability has been lacking at Punt Rd a bit over the last few years," Wright said.

"With Terry Wallace there for five years, the board's done a very good job this year and has been able to deliver on the promises it made."

The sponsorship base will expand even further on Thursday when the club announces the signing of international clothing company hummel as its new apparel partner.

While the Tigers still carry a $4 million debt into the 2006 season, the climate at Punt Rd has changed enormously in 12 months. This time last year the club was in turmoil.

A wooden spoon, a bitter boardroom fight for control and a $2.2 million loss confronted key appointees - Wallace and Wright.

Wright yesterday acknowledged the result as pleasing. "It's only a week since the year end and we're still finalising all the accounts, but we anticipate being able to make a small profit," Wright said.

"We can't at this point put a number on it because there's ups and downs and there's incomes coming in.

"Certainly we've got a long way to go to build the club and pay off our debt, but it's pleasing in one year we've been able to make that turnaround.

"We've had the support of our sponsors, our partners and our members who have all been involved in helping the revival of the club."

While the Tigers will aim for the finals on-field from next year, reducing the $4 million is their No. 1 priority off field.

Wright acknowledged that task was a significant hurdle.

"In all honesty, the first $2 million is the easiest, finding another $2 million (per year) will be a challenge for us," he said.

"But, hopefully, with the support of our partners, additional partners and members and people coming to the games . . . all those things help to grow the business.

"(This year) we didn't do anything that was a one-year hit, so they're sustainable."

Wright also confirmed all players had signed again.

The AGM will be held in mid to late December.

Herald Sun

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/...9-23211,00.html

Since when did our debt become $4m? :o
I thought it was about $600,000.
Well done RFC on the turnaround. :thumbsup
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 09:32:54 AM by Fishfinger »
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Richmond on road to clearing debt
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 10:50:21 AM »
Since when did our debt become $4m? :o
I thought it was about $600,000.
Well done RFC on the turnaround. :thumbsup

It's all about how you interpret a company's financial statements. If you are talking cash assets or in this case liabilities (what we owe) then yeah you could argue that we have a "debt" of about $4 million (IIRC last year's financial reports showed the Club had an overdraft of around $3.5million) because the bank could call it in at anytime - they wont of course because they know that overall our total assets over total liabilities is only deficient by $600k.

Alot of people focus on cash assets for determining a business' viablity because cash or those assets that are easily converted to cash means a quick cash turnaround, quick payment of debts etc

« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 01:05:33 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 10:57:19 AM »
Thanks WP. :)
Boy, am I glad accounting never appealed to me. 8)
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 12:52:25 PM »
Reading the article, I was recalling what a stuffed situation it was this time last year for us. Thankfully the majority of Richmond members had the brains and the screaming minority didn't decide the vote. I shudder to think what would of happened if Schwabby and his cronies got in  :thumbsup

Things are looking a lot better this time round let's hope it continues that way ON and OFF the filed.  :cheers

GO TIGERS 2006 and beyond ...........

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 01:06:27 PM »
Boy, am I glad accounting never appealed to me. 8)

Who said it appealed to me  :rollin

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 01:10:22 PM »
I know exactly what would of happened with Schwab and co got in, they would of done exactly what Wright has done this year, but instead of being treated like poo, they would of been praised through the roof at PRE!

PRE, proud sponsors of the Schwab party!  :lol

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 01:13:43 PM »

Significantly, the Tigers are also expected to make a small profit of between $50,000 and $200,000.

Now not that I want to boast or anything like that  ;) ;D but this is what I wrote a few weeks ago when the Melbourne footy club announced their "profit"

"Compare this to the Tigers in 2005 who have not got any money from the AFL's CBF and they will go from a $2.2 million loss in 2004 and are expected to make a profit in 2005 (predictions are between $20-$150k)"

See thread: http://oneeyed-richmond.com/forum//index.php?topic=2320.0

OER spot on the money again  :lol :rollin :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 05:31:41 AM »
While the Tigers will aim for the finals on-field from next year, reducing the $4 million is their off-field priority.
Wright acknowledged that task was a significant hurdle.

"In all honesty, the first $2 million is the easiest, finding another $2 million (per year) will be a challenge for us," he said.

"But, hopefully, with the support of our partners, additional partners and members and people coming to the games ... all those things help to grow the business.

"(This year) we didn't do anything that was a one-year hit, so they're sustainable."

It's finally good to have someone who's upfront and realistic about our situation and the direction we are now heading and doesn't make any silly "we're gunna be one of the Big 4" promises. Well done to Steven Wright.

IIRC wasn't our cash liabilites in total last year close to $5 million?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 01:34:20 PM »

Yeah Current Assets $1.910 mill over Current Liabilities $7.060 mill = $ 5.150 million

The o'draft made up $3.3 million of the current liabilities

Source= RFC Ltd 2004 Full Financials pg: 13

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 03:26:34 PM »
Ok, we've stopped the rot, now lets make some money :thumbsup
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 04:41:47 PM »

Yeah Current Assets $1.910 mill over Current Liabilities $7.060 mill = $ 5.150 million

The o'draft made up $3.3 million of the current liabilities

Source= RFC Ltd 2004 Full Financials pg: 13

So now that it's down to $4 million does that imply we've paid $1 million off our overdraft/cash debt or is it not as simple as that and we need to wait and read the annual accounts for the precise details? 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2005, 04:43:41 PM »
Won't the banks interest eat up any profits we make?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 04:49:23 PM »

So now that it's down to $4 million does that imply we've paid $1 million off our overdraft/cash debt or is it not as simple as that and we need to wait and read the annual accounts for the precise details? 

I'd be waiting for the financials - it could be the o/draft, it could be other payables e.g interest, suppliers etc. I would think that it would be a bit of both :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
RFC to announce $35,000 profit
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2005, 04:07:45 AM »
The club will soon announce a profit of about $35,000 - a significant improvement on the $2.2 million loss of last year and the $880,000 loss of 2003. Next year it is budgeting for a profit of about $150,000. "We are a different club than we were 16 months ago," March said.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/11/13/1131816807707.html