Author Topic: Martin Asked to Leave Restaurant / Apologises to Female Patron  (Read 191812 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Media owe Dustin Martin an apology: Andy Maher (SEN)
« Reply #1095 on: March 23, 2016, 05:59:49 PM »
Media owe Dustin Martin an apology: Andy Maher

Justin Talent
SEN
23 Mar 2016, 05:09PM

Richmond star Dustin Martin’s unfair treatment after his drunken incident in a Chapel Street restaurant last December is something the media industry needs to apologise for, says Andy Maher.

The host of SEN Afternoons says the media’s behaviour in the wake of the incident, which led many notable figures including Tigers legend Kevin Bartlett to call for large fines and season-long suspensions, did not take into account Martin’s position at all and instead assumed guilt before any details were released.

The Richmond midfielder was eventually cleared of any wrong doing after Victoria Police investigated the incident.

“I reckon we should, as an industry offer Dustin Martin an apology because at the core of this is an individual who we don’t take into account at all,” Maher said.

“The immediate assumption is that Dustin Martin has done something wrong so let’s tear him to pieces.

“Now that the details and the facts of the matter certainly bring us a whole lot closer to the truth which is not the position that a lot of people took to begin with, I think he probably does deserve an apology.”

The Age footy writer Rohan Connolly agreed with Maher, however said that he believes the current “immediate” state of the media makes it likely a similar situation will happen again.

“What we should learn is not to jump too quickly. Will we learn that? Sadly I doubt it,” he said.

“We all know the media is an immediate industry now more than ever with the internet and Twitter and social media and that race to be first, breaking news is at a premium like I’ve never seen in my whole career.

“Plus you’ve got that coupled with a decrease in resources, the various checks and balances that apply to journalism are removed. There’s not as much of a safety net.

Connolly also believes the Martin story in particular only gained a lot of attention due to it occurring in the AFL off-season.

“Had it happened in May or June or July, I think there would have been less of a furore because there’s a heap of footy news around and the news cycle changes so quickly now, within 24 hours something is forgotten,” he said.

“What was a massive story that lasted over a week in December gets done and dusted within 24 hours in the middle of the season.”

http://www.sen.com.au/news/afl/03-16/media-owe-dustin-martin-an-apology-andy-maher#ue3rGYlPIzRXwIpi.97

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Re: Martin Asked to Leave Restaurant / Apologises to Female Patron
« Reply #1096 on: March 24, 2016, 01:43:28 AM »
stuff off dog.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1097 on: March 24, 2016, 07:05:38 AM »
Sorry to stalk your posts again Ox.

I find Andy Maher quite balanced in his views both on his show and in this article.  He is one of only a few on radio who express an opinion and is willing to concede and acknowledge the opinions of others. I also think he is spot on in this article. He has stuck up for the players, criticized his own profession as well as KB. And you tell him ,"stuff off dog"?

Is that because he didn't come out sooner and say this?

Or was it directed at Rohan Connelly?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 10:01:56 AM by Go Richo 12 »

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1098 on: March 24, 2016, 08:31:14 AM »
God knows

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1099 on: March 24, 2016, 08:41:41 AM »
ask him then.

Hey, Claude.......
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

tony_montana

« Reply #1100 on: March 24, 2016, 04:43:20 PM »
 :lol