Author Topic: Razorblade's Phantom Draft (Top 10)  (Read 3464 times)

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Razorblade's Phantom Draft (Top 10)
« on: November 24, 2005, 06:01:35 PM »
I guess it's not fair that i rip the pooh out of burgatrons phanton draft without doing one of my own.

1 - Carlton: Marc Murphy
Carlton needs anything but tall forwards, so its good for them that the best player on offer is indeed a midfielder.

Murphy is pretty much a safe bet, does most things that a rover should do and does them extremely well, concensous no.1 pick.

Other possible picks: Nil.

2 - Collingwood: Xavier Ellis
Collingwood are similar to Carlton, need just about anything but tall forwards, and desperately need/want pace in the midfield.

Ellis isn't no Deledio in the pace department, but does have decent speed which is probably good enough for the pies.

Pies will also consider Hurn, but are going to go with the potential of Ellis over the safe bet in Hurn.

Other possible picks: Hurn

3 - Hawthorn: Beau Dowler

This is there things get VERY tricky, Hawthorn could nearly take anyone at this pick.

If they want a forward, then Dowler and Kennedy are in contention, if they want a forward/ruck then Clark and possibly Ryder are in contention, if they want the best player available they'll go Hurn, but they have a lot of his type of player already

I'm simply guessing here, and saying they'll go Dowler due to his inside game, which will compliment Franklin's outside game very well in a 2009 forward line, yes they're concerned with his car crash injuries, but reports are that he'll make a full recovery and that is good enough for the Hawks.

Other possible picks: See above.

4 - Carlton: Shannon Hurn

Carlton take Hurn, who is another safe pick like Murphy and now have most of the key pieces in place to build their midfield for the next 10 years.

Carlton's need for a ruckmen will make them look at Ryder and possibly Clark, but they are in no place to take a risk and they know it.

Other possible picks: Ryder

5 - Collingwood: Marcus Drum
My first (WTF!) selection, the Pies have no need for a young forward and/or ruck and with an aging defense decide to select the best defender on offer.

His no CHB yet, but players within himself and his good at running the ball out of defense, his a safe pick and a player who the pies can use to rebuild their aging defense.

If they take Thomas here they're idiots, he reminds me of Didak and he hasnt proven himself as a midfielder yet.

Other possible picks: Thomas (Doh!)

6 - Hawthorn: Patrick Ryder
Hawks get a developing young ruckmen which they desperately need, and start praying that he grows a couple of cm's.

Clark is too similar to Franklin (Outside, uber-athletic forward) for both of them to play in the same forward line, although the Hawks mightn't agree with me.

They'll consider Kennedy, but take the ruckmen over the forward with the busted shoulder.

Other possible picks: Clark

7 - Essendon: Mitchell Clark

With no real player of their liking available, and with them needing a replacement for Lucas the dons go with the uber-athletic Clark, who for good measure can pinch hiy in the ruck.

They will look at Kennedy, Jones and Higgins but take Clark because of his huge potential and because his value at pick 7.

Other possible picks: Jones

8 - Richmond: Josh Kennedy
Best tall forward available, and despite the shoulder reco we pick him without too much thinking, a bit of a no-brainer.

Hughes is overrated, a lot, and even though Wallace is pushing for Oakley-Nicholls, Pendelbury, Swallow, Varcoe, Birchall etc etc, Miller takes Kennedy and watches as Wallace pouts in the background that he didn't get a suber-athlete.

Other possible picks: See above.

9 - Brisbane: Grant Birchall
Lions need a replacement for Leppistch and they see this as they're man, a lot of potential in Birchall but also a lot of risks, they could easily go a safe bet after losing out with the Spaanderman pick, and there is a long list of midfielders they could take, too many to mention.

Other possible picks: One of the 8-10 midfielders who's rated to go 1st round.

10 - Fremantle: Jarred Oakley-Nicholls/Andrew Swallow

Fremantle need pace in their midfield, now, and will take either one of their homegrown speedsters IF THEYRE SMART, which we all know the fremantle recruiting department aren't!

Other possible selections: Probably something they already have a lot of!

Criticize at will fellas!

PuntRdRoar

Re: Razorblade's Phantom Draft (Top 10)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 10:19:56 PM »
Anything is possible...if pies take thomas Ill be jumping up and down coz it guarantees us a good key position player...but as youve said...we may surprise by taking a midfielder...

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 10:49:15 PM »
Any phantom draft that justifies Kennedy slipping down to our pick 8 is a good one by me Razor :thumbsup.

Agree with RT that anything is possible but I would be surprised if the Pies took Drum at #5 unless they're after someone to complement and eventually replace Clement across the HB line. It would be good for us though if they did pick Drum.

With Buckley and Burns nearing the end, the Pies need midfielders (they need speedy midfielders in any case even with those two veterans). So I'm hoping they go for another small at #5. They also need KP defenders as Presti and Jason Cloke aren't the answer for them. There's also Maxwell but he is more a utility/third tall (similar height to Drum too). They can wait to their second round pick for the KP defender IMV.

Can't argue with any of your other nine Razor :cheers.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 11:41:46 PM »
Well they get Ellis at 2, and there is a group of fast midfielders who could slip to 21 and 23 so i don't think they will reach at 5.

Thomas isn't a proven, or natural midfielder, he is a forward in the Didak mould.

Drum @ 5 is just me being creative, but it would make more sense then them taking Didak mk2.

I think i might be overrating Kennedy's shoulder reco and the affect that it will have on clubs drafting him, he could go as early as 3, ohwell wishful thinking!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 03:05:59 AM »
Fair enough Razor :). As long as the Pies stay clear of the main four talls I'll be happy.

I don't think Kennedy's shoulder reco will deter too many clubs given the last time a kid in a draft had had a shoulder(s) reconstruction was one C. Judd ;).

What's your opinion of Shaun Higgins? What's caused him to move up into the top 10 of a few phantom drafts in the past couple of weeks ??? These kids haven't played footy for two months to change people's minds on them that much.

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 09:35:07 AM »
I have no idea, but he is a BIG risk considering his a bottom age pick, is skinny and has had injury problems, not to mention he isn't THAT good of a player!

There are fair few midfielders ahead of him IMO, and if he goes 6 or 7, well, its very good for us!

Collingwood dont really need a tall forward as they have Rocca (28), Tarrant (24-25) and T. Cloke (18-19).

I think the pies would love if they could get both Hurn and Ellis, but i just don't see it happening!

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 05:34:21 PM »
Rumour has it we are taking Travis Casserley at 40- maybe even 24 possibly. He's a WA boy. I havent seen him play...but people have told me he is the type of player that Wallace would want. A hard running Half Back who can run some lines.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 05:39:42 PM »
Rumour has it we are taking Travis Casserley at 40- maybe even 24 possibly. He's a WA boy. I havent seen him play...but people have told me he is the type of player that Wallace would want. A hard running Half Back who can run some lines.

MEDIUM MIDFIELDER

Travis Casserley
(Swan Districts, WA)
Height - 184cm
Weight – 76kg
D.O.B – 20/05/87
Casserley is a long accurate kick and has good leg speed. Strong overhead, Casserley was a WA Under 18 representative in 2005, from the Swan View Football Club in Perth. Finished second in the Beep Test and seventh in the 3km time trial at the NAB Draft Camp

http://carltonfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=235079

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 05:48:40 PM »
Theres lots of rumours flying all over the place this afternoon....ive changed this post as it was unnecessary to have in public info as to what we may want at pick 8.

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2005, 06:35:00 PM »
Have heard his name mentioned a couple of days ago, besides that i know nothing about him.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2005, 03:10:41 AM »
Just getting back to Higgins, the Hun has Miller rating him highly:

Richmond, at No. 8, also rates Higgins highly.

"He's very good, very clever," Richmond director of football Greg Miller said yesterday. "I think he'll go in the first seven or eight."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,17365527%255E19742,00.html

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 09:24:16 AM »
Collingwood taking Thomas at 2, sheesh i rate Thomas pretty highly (top 10) but Collingwood could have still probably have gotten him at 5, the pies have wasted another pick

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 11:06:58 PM »
the pies have wasted another pick

Makes up for them not deserving a priority pick in the first place after making back to back GFs only two years ago  ;).

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 11:11:49 PM »
This is why amateur's shouldn't waste their time doing phanton drafts!  :rollin :-[

Pies stuffed up, big time.

Took a top 10 player, who rode media hype and a good grand final game at 2.

Took a top 15-25 player who might not want to play AFL in a few years at 5.

Stanley is around the mark.

Cook at 23 is just stupid.

Anthony was a good enough punt, but in a draft where they did nothing but reach with their picks, risky!

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2005, 10:06:20 AM »
Cleve Hughes overated....who knows....At 24 I dont see it as a bad pick and if he doesnt work out at CHF....he could probably go back to CHB.