Author Topic: Cleve Hughes [merged]  (Read 14060 times)

PuntRdRoar

Re: Cleve Hughes a clever worker (RFC site)
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2006, 04:46:56 PM »
I have big hopes for the cleaver. :cheers

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2006, 07:10:41 PM »
Yet another player praised during the off-season.

Who'd a thunk it?

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2006, 07:14:23 PM »
"They didn't really think that I was on their radar, because they thought they wouldn't get me with their eighth pick and they thought I would fall between their eighth and 24th pick.

Arrogant.  ;)

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2006, 08:50:08 PM »
maybe not arrogant- confident...nevertheless Id like to see some more of our players develop this trait.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2006, 09:22:27 AM »

blx

Cleve Hughes [merged]
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2006, 11:30:29 PM »
i like the way this lad is shaping up.

On Fox Footy back in November sometime, they interviewed Cleve (along with many other hopefulls) as part of the Draft Preview show. At the end of the show (and if you have a tape of it, re-watch it and you'll see what i mean) it's Cleve that stood out heads and shoulders above any of the others as far as being a genuine human being.

Now i dont know the lad from a bar of soap and i'd never lump that kind of fathoming upon anyone let alone a young lad BUT... he was exactly that, well rounded and innately together.

from all reports from the hitout in Learmonth today this guy has the (yes that word again) POTENTIAL to fill the Post-Richo void.

I'm subscribing to this wagon of thought too because theres a few things that i see that are going to benefit our foward structure immensely if this boy does indeed come on.

He's a good strong lead meaning he likes to take the front and has an excellent set of mitts. From what i've seen of him, he reminds me alot of a young dunstall (yes the same old fat bald guy you see on telly now). Dunstall was a magician whenever the ball was kicked to him. He had a knack of holding on to the pill in the most uncanniest of ways and in the most unholdable situations.

Twice in my lifetime i saw it with my own two eyes right in front of me. Eight guys jump up for a pack mark, Dunstall and the ball get lost right in the middle of them all. whos the only one standing holding the ball, you guessed it, how? i dont know. Also the day he was pirouetted through the air vertically and somehow managed through centrifugal force to keep the ball balanced in one hand while holding his oponent with the other, how? i dont know. Its all about having strong hands, i know that much and Cleve has that.

Another trait of Dunstalls was his clever leading which is one of Cleve's strengths. His ability to lead hard and straight will straighten up our attack no end, a luxury our forward thrusts have lacked for years. Richo's open 50 policy can negate other options within the forward line like making it harder for your rovers to get to the fall of the ball in time and choking off other forward leads. I much prefer Cleves straight leading although it might be more predictable for the opposition to pick at least it brings in your forward rovers and opens up other dangerous hotspots within the forward 50. This is gonna be the biggest change post-richo and i believe for the better.

its all way too early to be speaking this way of a new recruit but the mere thought of the possibility of this coming to frution should Cleve come good, well its just mouth watering.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Cleve Hughes
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2006, 04:52:24 AM »
The Dunstall analogy might be stretching it a bit ;) but Hughes does have those many of those traits blx. if Cleve starts taking those slip-catch marks on a regular basis that Dunstall was famous for then he'll be very much like Dunstall. Lloyd when he isn't diving for soft frees also has those traits.

I reckon that article by Goughy was about right about Hughes. He obviously has talent as a forward. He's got great hands and marks cleanly away from his body either above his head or arms out in front. As you say blx he leads straight and is an accurate kick. However he's only what 18 and in his first year so over the next couple of years he needs to work on building up his strength and transforming this potential into a sustained effort.

Hughes did do some impressive things out there yesterday.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2006, 06:11:57 PM »
Alright lads - the other side of the coin.

Hughes is apparently;

- abit soft
 - doesn't have the hunger that he could that you'd like him to
 - whilst good on the lead doesn't take many pack/contested marks
 - not worthy of pick 8 according to Richmond, dispite having a lack of KPP/KPP kids
 - Miller was gunning for Dowler/Kennedy/Ryder @ 8, Hughes wasn't seen in that class an ranked as a 'B' Grade player in the draft expected to go 8-20ish.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 10:03:11 PM by Captain__Blood »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2006, 08:36:56 PM »
They were the concerns before and during draft time.

It's true we were after Dowler, Kennedy and Ryder as KPPs at pick 8 but there's no rule that says every player after your first pick can't become one of your best. Fiora and Tuck are examples of a high puick turning out to be a dud and a late pick turning into gold respectively. Miller still judged Hughes to be a late first rounder.  Last year's draft was judged as more even than anything else so it'll take 4-5 years before we find out which clubs were the winners.

I wouldn't say Hughes is soft or lacked hunger based on yesterday's effort. He did take his marks out in front on the lead and not in packs but intra-club games are fairly open affairs anyway. We'll wait to the real stuff to judge him in that department.

I agree CB we can't get ahead of ourselves. At 18 Hughesy obviously still needs to bulk up and build up his strength to play KP consistently at AFL level. He'll probably score a couple of senior games later on this year but spend most of 2006 at Coburg like Patto did last year. Right now it's still all that dreaded word "potential".   

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2006, 09:00:39 PM »
Hughes playing style suits him to CHF and he is in competition with Patto for that spot

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2006, 10:08:42 PM »
They were the concerns before and during draft time.

It's true we were after Dowler, Kennedy and Ryder as KPPs at pick 8 but there's no rule that says every player after your first pick can't become one of your best. Fiora and Tuck are examples of a high puick turning out to be a dud and a late pick turning into gold respectively. Miller still judged Hughes to be a late first rounder.  Last year's draft was judged as more even than anything else so it'll take 4-5 years before we find out which clubs were the winners.

I wouldn't say Hughes is soft or lacked hunger based on yesterday's effort. He did take his marks out in front on the lead and not in packs but intra-club games are fairly open affairs anyway. We'll wait to the real stuff to judge him in that department.

Don't get me wrong, I do not want to put the kid down too much - just some notes I've heard from people who have seent he kid before being drafted. Mind you there wasn't alot of negitive. For every 'bad' comment there was a hell of alot of good. Could end up the best KPP in the draft and an abosute steal.

I agree CB we can't get ahead of ourselves. At 18 Hughesy obviously still needs to bulk up and build up his strength to play KP consistently at AFL level. He'll probably score a couple of senior games later on this year but spend most of 2006 at Coburg like Patto did last year. Right now it's still all that dreaded word "potential".   

I for one am abit concerned about the future of our KPP / teams side after the football life of Gaspar, Kellaway and of course, Richo. If Hughes turns out a superstar, A-Grade CHF I'd be over the hill. Realisticly if we finsh bottom 3/5 this season we should be gunning for a future Roughead/Kosi type.

Hughes playing style suits him to CHF and he is in competition with Patto for that spot

IMO Patto was drafted as the future ruckman. Mobile ruckman who could run and help out the smaller blokes.

Just don't think he has the abitly to make it as a top AFL standard CHF; not agily/mobile (for a key forward, pretty good for a ruck), abit slow (again, for a CHF) has a turning cricle like a tanker.... Would love him to prove me wrong.

blx

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2006, 12:21:06 AM »
Would love him to prove me wrong.

CRINGE, sorry CB nothing personal but i just dont like that turn of phrase, its a cop out.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2006, 02:25:05 AM »

Hughes is purely a key forward whereas Patto is a ruckman/forward. I'm not comparing Hughes and Patto to these two but think Tredrea and Lade in terms of their playing positions.

I for one am abit concerned about the future of our KPP / teams side after the football life of Gaspar, Kellaway and of course, Richo. If Hughes turns out a superstar, A-Grade CHF I'd be over the hill. Realisticly if we finsh bottom 3/5 this season we should be gunning for a future Roughead/Kosi type.

Given the young talls we already have it would be good to pick up a future FB next in the 2006 draft. Go with a top young forward (CHF) who can also be played in the backline like as you said CB a Roughead.

FF: Limbach, Hughes
CHF: Hughes
"Third" tall forwards: Patto.
There's also Schulz and even Lids

Ruck: Patto and possibly Graham but it's early days for him.

FB:  ? 
CHB:  Schulz, McGuane (in the Chad Cornes mold)
"Third" tall defenders: Thursfield, Moore, McGuane 
Some people say Thursfield will be our future FB but I'm not so sure based on his height.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2006, 06:32:42 AM »
in the next few yrs, patto will grow  a few more cm, aka rottens, when that happens he wikll develop into a ruck/fwd, not a fwd who can ruck

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2006, 07:30:26 AM »
Would love him to prove me wrong.

CRINGE, sorry CB nothing personal but i just dont like that turn of phrase, its a cop out.

Alright - how'd you like me to put it? From what I've seen of Patto at Northern he will struggle to make in as a long term AFL player let alone at CHF. We payed over the odds for him at 16.

Cameron Wood (deadset star), Ryan Willits, Thomas Murphy, Sean Rusling types would have been much better pick ups.

Better?