Author Topic: Deledio off to GWS in exchange for future first & third round picks [confirmed]  (Read 175275 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers should trade Deledio

Mark Robinson
Herald-Sun
May 3, 2016

THE question at Richmond is: What happens now?

Do they tank — sorry, list manage — and begin the long road back?

Apparently not. They are 1-5 and holding course this year, according to the office holders at Punt Rd.

But what happens if they are 1-7 after playing Hawthorn and Sydney in the next two rounds?

Or 1-8 after Fremantle at Fremantle in Round 9?

Still hold course? The answer has to be “no”.

As much as the Tigers can’t be drastic with their public utterances, their fans deserve to know what strategy will be pursued.

Chief executive Brendon Gale told the Herald Sun the Tigers could still play finals in 2016.

Gale’s dig-in, that players need to learn to win, deserves credit. But arguably he and others at Richmond are in denial.

The team is maxed out. Most of the well-discussed trades such as Troy Chaplin have reached their ceiling and most of the young draftees are still making their way.

A decision on coach Damien Hardwick is irrelevant. He was appointed for two more years so we can park him.

No, it’s about the list.

The only strategies available to improve the list are: go to the draft table, trade or acquire free agents.

They need to be bold with their trading.

To acquire more first-round draft choices, the Tigers have to entertain trading away one of Jack Riewoldt, Trent Cotchin, Alex Rance, Brett Deledio, Dustin Martin and Shane Edwards.

A first-rounder for Edwards? They rate him highly internally, but don’t know if a club would cough up a first-rounder.

Riewoldt is 27. Rance is 27. Edwards is 27. Martin is 24. And Deledio is 29.

If they want to break up the band, the obvious call is on Deledio.

At 233 games he is the longest-serving player on the list, so it would be an emotional decision. He is a high walk-up first-rounder, though.

Teams chasing a flag would love him: Western Bulldogs, North Melbourne and Hawthorn, for they seem to be the line for everyone.

It might get the Tigers two picks inside the top 10 at this year’s draft, which is a start.

St Kilda was bold with Ben McEvoy (in return got Luke Dunstan and Shane Savage), Rhys Stanley (Hugh Goddard), Brendon Goddard (pick 13 on traded to get Tom Hickey) and Nick Dal Santo (pick 25 for Billy Longer).

Not all those worked, but the point is they were aggressive.

Right now, the Tigers believe they don’t need to rebuild.

That’s fine, keep all the guns. Recruit talent in dribs and drabs and hope the talent matures while the guns are still around.

If that’s the case, the Tigers have to look at development and drafting, and that puts the spotlight on recruiter Francis Jackson and list manager Blair Hartley.

The list isn’t pretty now that the trade-ins have maxed out.

Of the draftees, Martin gets a tick, maybe Ellis, maybe Vlastuin. The rest are made up of possibles (Corey Ellis, Ben Lennon, Sam Lloyd, for example), likely nots (Ben Griffiths), or they’re starting their careers (Daniel Rioli, Nathan Broad, Connor Menadue).

If it’s 1-7, the Tigers surely will look at youth. Not play them all at once, but give them all a sprinkle of games. Players like Jason Castagna, Jayden Short, Oleg Markov, Dan Butler, Adam Marcon and Liam McBean. Butler is injured, Nathan Drummond is coming back from an ACL and Broad is a mature-age recruit.

But what about key position player Todd Elton, who has played two games in six years?

To go anywhere, you need to understand where you are. Maybe that’s Richmond’s immediate issue.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-needs-to-be-bold-at-the-trade-table-and-regenerate-its-list-mark-robinson-writes/news-story/c216a8492823c8f3c8a4e2522a425340
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 02:22:50 PM by one-eyed »

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tigers should trade Deledio: Robbo .... (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 07:00:03 AM »
FFS even Blobbo can see it

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 07:23:13 AM »
Trade for Cloke.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 08:32:09 AM »
 lard has no idea what he is talking about.

Trade delidio for who????????????so hackson and his fellow but lickers can stuff it up again.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 08:32:59 AM »
Are the na sayers, do gooders.... :help

Only with the smart comments because you think its all good, the club is in great shape...

Well a lot of us saw this coming, the best players in the team are getting too old and we have nothing other than Rioli coming through, the gap in talent between that group Robbo mentioned and the rest is too far, I would look at trading Deledio and Edwards.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 09:42:16 AM »
If you are going to trade you need to have complete confidence in the people who organize the trades that they will make the right decisions. Given there is considerable doubt over the existing recruiters unless the recruiting department is changed we are doomed to make the same mistakes we have made in the past. Trades only work when you have competent staff.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 12:00:37 PM »
I reckon we should Trade him.

If nothing changes, nothing changes.

Gotta try something
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 12:02:07 PM »
If you are going to trade you need to have complete confidence in the people who organize the trades that they will make the right decisions. Given there is considerable doubt over the existing recruiters unless the recruiting department is changed we are doomed to make the same mistakes we have made in the past. Trades only work when you have competent staff.

100% correct.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 12:28:02 PM »

100% correct.

Correct

We'd trade him for the 2017 version of Townsend and Hampson
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 12:59:56 PM »
I'm 100% keen on trading Lids.

Let him go play finals.

If we get a top 10 pick we might actually get a player who will be in our next premiership side, even if the odds are very slim.

We need a full rebuild. Hard calls need to be made.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 01:03:25 PM »
I'm 100% keen on trading Lids.

Let him go play finals.

If we get a top 10 pick we might actually get a player who will be in our next premiership side, even if the odds are very slim.

We need a full rebuild. Hard calls need to be made.

It very very as people want titch / lids.  Primarily so the players can enjoy some success before they hang up the boots

What a circus

I assume your full rebuild includes offloading  jack, rance?
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 01:06:39 PM »
I'm hoping that Rance and Jack might be around in the unlikely event that we do our rebuild right.

Lids is 29 and his body is starting to fail. He is the man.

I would be sad but if we can get a top 10 pick for him then I would take it.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 01:09:56 PM »
I'm hoping that Rance and Jack might be around in the unlikely event that we do our rebuild right.

Lids is 29 and his body is starting to fail. He is the man.

I would be sad but if we can get a top 10 pick for him then I would take it.

Our other best players are not that much younger than lids

What about pick 5 and 6 for rance and jack. Then you have 5. 6. 10. Oh boy

I find it hard to believe Richmond are a  (more) realistic chance to win a flag if deledio is traded for a pick 10

And I don't much see the point when gws have 65 first rounders on th list and almost very side is well ahead of us in the process

Is it realistic rance and jack can win a flag here before they retire if lids is traded out? If not why not go whole Hog and offload our best Hal dozen players.  You say yourself the odds are slim. Either way they are slim.

My preference would be getting new staff: coach. Ass-coaches. List mangers etc and building around our better 5/6 players. You might get lucky if you put the other 40 on the table

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 01:16:25 PM »
I am totally againt this. It makes no sense to offload the only silky, fast, goal kicking goal assisting, dynamic, long kickig half forward/mid on our list for a 1st round pick who "might" develop into something good by season 3.

Even at 29 and sore legs he is one of the few players who provides professionalism and a take the game on attitude. But yeah let's trade that for some kid

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 01:17:33 PM »
I am totally againt this. It makes no sense to offload the only silky, fast, goal kicking goal assisting, dynamic, long kickig half forward/mid on our list for a 1st round pick who "might" develop into something good by season 3.

Even at 29 and sore legs he is one of the few players who provides professionalism and a take the game on attitude. But yeah let's trade that for some kid

But he might win a final at Sydney or hawthorn

:whistle