Author Topic: The Treloar fallout/failure 6 months on  (Read 5672 times)

Dougeytherichmondfan

Re: The Treloar fallout/failure 6 months on
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 06:40:38 PM »
Right, and as its MY research and they are MY ideas, I owe no individual or body any recognition. I have not plagiarised or paraphrased anyone. Facts are facts until they are contested.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2016, 06:49:13 PM »
wp its 'open information'

the draft order has been available on tv, radio, newspapers

it doesnt require a source as its factual

ie. deledio was a pick 1

i dont have to source afl.com.au as my claim is true ...
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2016, 10:22:00 PM »
Dougeytheacademic should know all about referencing common mate!

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2016, 10:27:22 PM »
Right, and as its MY research and they are MY ideas, I owe no individual or body any recognition. I have not plagiarised or paraphrased anyone. Facts are facts until they are contested.

So you are saying off the top off your head you knew all of those draft picks?

You said you did some research, research means you went and looked at references to get information. You then used that researched info to give a view

If you took information from another source it should be referenced accordingly

Unless or are you now saying you didn't do that and you knew all this data without any assistance from other sources

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2016, 10:46:35 PM »

ie. deledio was a pick 1

That all depends if you had to look it up or if you just pulled it straight out of your head.
I'd say you'd need to think back to where you first seen or heard he was pick 1 and quote the source you seen or heard it from prior to memorizing it!

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2016, 10:57:30 PM »
i think we should be concerned with the things people post that they pull straight out their arse, rather than if they pulled it out of their head or from another site.

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2016, 11:31:43 PM »

So you are saying off the top off your head you knew all of those draft picks?

You said you did some research, research means you went and looked at references to get information. You then used that researched info to give a view

If you took information from another source it should be referenced accordingly

Unless or are you now saying you didn't do that and you knew all this data without any assistance from other sources
I referred to what is categorically "common knowledge". It is reasonable to assume that during any draft it was publically broadcast, that information mediums (ie newspapers, radio) enabled the average punter free access to such information.

Within academia an auther is not expected to source facts which may be reasonably assumed as "common knowledge". Which is to say, I would not have to source any fact accepted. If people wish to contest something Ive posted, by all means.

Its common knowledge that players in the afl are drafted, that draft results are broadcast publically and that this information is easily attainable on any number of sources.

If this were not the case, simple statements become exhaustingly laborious. Imagine having to quote a peer reviewed source simply to preface that the sky is blue, or afl footballers are professional athletes.

Which relates largely to any liabilty. Who could potentially make a claim for restitution if I make the statement that Jarrod Grant was taken with pick 5 in the 07 draft?

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2016, 11:45:14 PM »

ie. deledio was a pick 1

That all depends if you had to look it up or if you just pulled it straight out of your head.
I'd say you'd need to think back to where you first seen or heard he was pick 1 and quote the source you seen or heard it from prior to memorizing it!

Refer to Douglas
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2016, 06:56:47 AM »
I referred to what is categorically "common knowledge". It is reasonable to assume that during any draft it was publically broadcast, that information mediums (ie newspapers, radio) enabled the average punter free access to such information.

Within academia an auther is not expected to source facts which may be reasonably assumed as "common knowledge". Which is to say, I would not have to source any fact accepted. If people wish to contest something Ive posted, by all means.

Its common knowledge that players in the afl are drafted, that draft results are broadcast publically and that this information is easily attainable on any number of sources.

If this were not the case, simple statements become exhaustingly laborious. Imagine having to quote a peer reviewed source simply to preface that the sky is blue, or afl footballers are professional athletes.

Which relates largely to any liabilty. Who could potentially make a claim for restitution if I make the statement that Jarrod Grant was taken with pick 5 in the 07 draft?

All well and good but you didn't list 1 player you listed 22 players over a 12 year period, so did you or did you not get that information from somewhere?

Yes it is easily found and yes it is common knowledge that all AFL players are drafted but to reproduce it such detail like you have means you sourced it from somewhere which should be IMHO be noted

But I get that you are refusing to do so
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2016, 03:41:35 PM »
At that was the end of the thread
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2016, 03:56:36 PM »
Nobody will sue OER.
It ain't happening.
They know if they did, it would be the best publicity they could give the joint.

This is not homocide or national security stuff.
Caracella and Balmey.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2016, 06:36:43 PM »
Woulda been great if a few people might have actually lent their opinions on the topic. I suppose Im as much to blame as anyone.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2016, 08:10:38 PM »
Woulda been great if a few people might have actually lent their opinions on the topic. I suppose Im as much to blame as anyone.
I've already made my point.

The other thing is Wikipedia should not have to be posted as a link as it doesn't tell us who the author is all the time. People can go on the site and add information including false information without verifying who they really are. So it is pointless having to have a link to them. It gets a bit ridiculous when events that have happened under our own eyes cannot be stated without a link. That information also does not belong to one author unless it is an opinion piece. Stating facts as they happened is not an opinion and so there is no ownership of the information.
If I amwrong then when is it necessary to post a link ?  I can tell you Hodge was number 1 pick in the 2001 draft followed by Ball and the Judd. If I could remember the next 3 in order is that OK or would I need to put a link in? And if I don't and can remember the first 20 because I have a good memory, what do I do then?

That is why I think that this information has no ownership as it is factual. When a report is made that is about events that are not freely seen by all and is laced with opinion, then that clearly must be quoted and linked.

That is my ever so humble opinion....... ;D
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2016, 09:05:29 PM »
Hawthorn have won the last three premierships

Source : The Herald Sun

The Sun will rise tomorrow

Source : NASA

Farts smell

Source : The Great Australian Nose Society

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2016, 09:10:30 PM »

All well and good but you didn't list 1 player you listed 22 players over a 12 year period, so did you or did you not get that information from somewhere?

Yes it is easily found and yes it is common knowledge that all AFL players are drafted but to reproduce it such detail like you have means you sourced it from somewhere which should be IMHO be noted

But I get that you are refusing to do so

I reckon it's common knowledge that most of our picks have been stuffed up in the past 30 years
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.