Author Topic: Rookie draft thread  (Read 5043 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Rookie draft thread
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2005, 11:30:08 AM »

Jeremy Humm

Height 182cm
Weight: 82kg
Recruited From: Royal Park/Ballarat U18
Debut: 2001

Date of Birth: 5 January 1983

ABOUT
Acquired with selection 36 in the 2000 National Draft, Humm made his debut for the West Coast Eagles in his first year at the club and proved serviceable as a small defender. Notably tough in the clinches, he had played 22 games to the start of 2005 and would have hoped to build on that tally before the prospect was ruined by a major ankle injury that sidelined him for the majority of the year. A popular member of the squad, the Victorian was de-listed at season’s end.

http://westcoasteagles.com.au/default.asp?pg=players&spg=playerprofile&personid=13554
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 12:21:46 PM by one-eyed »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2005, 11:48:47 AM »
Very happy about picking up Graham. What the rookie draft is all about.

Not sure why we picked up Humm though unless the idea is to have a ready made player in waiting if someone suffers a long-term injury or to add a experienced 23 year old to Coburg's young squad. He was a fringe player at the Eagles.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2005, 12:20:25 PM »

Cam Howat

Date of Birth 30/01/85
Height: 183cm
Weight: 75kg
Previous Clubs: Oakleigh Chargers/Old Carey 

http://www.boxhillhawks.com.au/players.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Greg Miller on SEN
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2005, 12:39:12 PM »
Miller was just on SEN (12.30pm):

* Thought the Pies were after Matt White as they were talking to him also so we took him in the PSD. Excellent prospect.

* White - 15.2 beep. Did a 2km training run with us and did better than anyone on senior list :o. Played 15-16 games this year but got injured and missed most of the finals.

* We had relays at training the other day and Matt White was the only one who could match Lids. White is built in the upper body so could run out the 400m.

* There will be a mini olympics at the Fan's training night with a sprint to see who's the fastest - presumably Lids, Tambo, Oaks and White  :thumbsup.

* Humm - we almost missed the fact that he was eligible. He came to train with us and impressed. We looked at his tapes etc. Missed most of this year with an ankle but is all fit now.

* Graham one of 3 ruckman taken in the top 5. Once Jackson and Toovey went we knew we would get a ruckman.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2005, 01:02:05 PM »
We used our PSD pick No 5 on Matthew White from the Cannons

Question?

I'm assuming the kid didn't put a price on his head ;D

so....

Does White automatically get a 2 year deal like the kids do in the National Draft or is it up to the Club?
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
How the newest Tigers shape up (afl site)
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2005, 04:20:49 PM »
How the newest Tigers shape up
12:55:06 PM Tue 13 December, 2005
richmondfc.com.au

Here’s a summary of the players Richmond snared today in the AFL’s pre-season and rookie drafts . . .

PRE-SEASON DRAFT PICK-UP

MATTHEW WHITE

Date of Birth: 25/2/1987

Height: 178.8cm

Weight: 78kg

Recruited from: Calder Cannons

Position: Midfield

Made his TAC Cup debut back in 2003 as a 16-year-old for the Calder Cannons and also represented Vic Metro team in the under-16 championships. Is hard at the ball, possesses a good work ethic, and has the rare ability to combine exceptional endurance with genuine leg speed. Improved his decision-making ability with his kicking throughout the 2005 season and has shown that he’s more than capable around stoppages. Despite missing a few games through injury (including the under-18 carnival), he really started to develop as an on-baller at TAC Cup level midway through the year. Caused problems for opposition teams with his blistering pace and stamina.

ROOKIE DRAFT PICK-UPS

ANGUS GRAHAM

Date of Birth: 16/4/1987

Height: 200.3cm

Weight: 92.6kg

Recruited from: Tasmania/Assumption College/Calder Cannons

Position: Ruck

Developed at a rapid rate throughout 2005, playing about 40 games of football all-up for Assumption College, Calder Cannons (TAC Cup) and Tasmania (in the under-18 championships). Is genuine ruck size and has impressed with his palming of the ball. Uses the ball quite well by foot, is clean at ground level, aerobically sound, and his marking is improving. The Richmond Rookie Club’s selection.

JEREMY HUMM

Date of Birth: 5/1/83

Height: 182cm

Weight: 81kg

Recruited from: West Coast Eagles (originally from North Ballarat under-18s)

Position: Half-back/midfield

Made his senior league debut with the West Coast Eagles in 2001, but found it hard to establish himself as a permanent member of their strong line-up, managing 22 games in his five seasons there. Was a member of WAFL club East Perth’s back-to-back premiership teams of 2001-02. Missed almost the entire 2005 season with a severe ankle injury. Has good skills, plenty of courage, and can play a role either in defence or the midfield.

CAMERON HOWAT

Date of Birth: 30/1/87

Height: 181.5cm

Weight: 77kg

Recruited from: Box Hill Hawks

Position: Midfield

Was highly recommended to Richmond by new Coburg Tiger coach Andy Collins, who coached him at Box Hill. An on-baller, who possesses outstanding aerobic capacity, good skills and is hard at it. Finished fourth in Box Hill’s Best and Fairest this year.

http://afl.com.au/?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=240497

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2005, 04:58:22 PM »
Does White automatically get a 2 year deal like the kids do in the National Draft or is it up to the Club?

WP, going by the CBA below I think he does get 2 years.

------------------

AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE
and
AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE PLAYERS’ ASSOCIATION INCORPORATED
COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENT

SCHEDULE B
Minimum Terms and Conditions

2. First Year Players (pp 48-49)

2.6 When a first year Player is first listed by an AFL Club, that Player and the AFL Club shall enter into a playing contract for a minimum term of two years except in the case of a Player who has previously been listed as a Rookie at any AFL Club.

http://www.aflpa.com.au/media/CBA%202003-2008%20FINAL.pdf

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: How the newest Tigers shape up (afl site)
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2005, 05:31:51 PM »
ANGUS GRAHAM
Height: 200.3cm
Weight: 92.6kg

Sheesh one big boy for an 18 year old. And he was still growing this year  :o given he was listed at 197cm by footydraft,.

His nickname has to be "Young" or "Acca Dacca"  :thumbsup.

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2005, 05:48:12 PM »
We shoulda quit after taking Graham. I get the feeling Miller felt compelled to draft lower because of moneys raised by outsiders. Im sure Coburg will thank those supporters for Jeremy Humm.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2005, 06:20:50 PM »
We shoulda quit after taking Graham. I get the feeling Miller felt compelled to draft lower because of moneys raised by outsiders. Im sure Coburg will thank those supporters for Jeremy Humm.

Agree Ramps. Picking up a guy who's been an an AFL list for 5 years seems a wasted selection.

It would have been great if we could have had scored a young raw KP backman instead. Would have finished the draft off nicely. Either that or just pass and save the club money.

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2005, 08:29:07 PM »
Pleased with the White selection, although i would of preferred it to be a rookie selection but i guess whats done is done.

Very pleased with the Graham kid, i think he'll be big given 3-4 years to develop!

Very peeed off with the Humm selection.

Don't know what to make of the Howat selection, comes off as a "freinds of the coaching staff" pick though!

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2005, 08:32:45 PM »
Im sure Coburg will thank those supporters for Jeremy Humm.

Putting my Coburg hat on for minute here - I'd still preferred to see Jarrod Sylvestor as Coburg's first RFC rookie than Humm in Coburg colours  :'( ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2005, 10:11:16 PM »
Coburg = Calder Cannons under 21's!  ;)

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2005, 11:02:37 PM »
Just noticed Simon Phillips was rookied by Sydney.

This is rather ironic, as Simon and his brother Chris were nothing but "premiership hunters" in their junior days, year to year they moved to different footy and cricket clubs, who had the best chance of winning a premiership, and now he has been rookied by the reigning premiers!

Good luck to Simon, i only wonder how long it'll take him to get his head punched in for mouthing off and being a smartass to everyone around him, and for his drug problems to (re)arise!  :santa

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2005, 09:14:04 AM »
Graham
Good pickup (would have preferred Grima though). If he can pull a Cox and be our future No.1 Ruckman it will let Patto play more as a permanent CHF.

Humm
What the hell was Miller thinking, Humm is a dud, hasn't shown anything at WC and i seriously doubt he will do anything at Richmond. Brennan Mills who i think missed being drafted would have been better IMO

Howat
What's the mail on Howat, don't know much about him except that he is a tagging type player.