Author Topic: Carlton tried to poach Richo (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1047 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Carlton tried to poach Richo (Herald-Sun)
« on: July 11, 2016, 09:02:15 AM »
‘We’re going to give you some space, son’

Michael Randall
Herald Sun
11 July 2016

RICHMOND champion Matthew Richardson has revealed Denis Pagan’s wife made him scones in a bid to lure him to Carlton at the end of the 2003 season.

In the wake of Western Bulldogs’ midfielder Lin Jong’s in-season visit to Collingwood, the towering ex-Tiger said on 3AW this morning that Pagan invited him over for a cup of tea to talk footy.

“There was one point in my career where I thought maybe I needed a change and it was after I had two pretty average years 2002-2003 and I think the club was probably toying with the idea as well that maybe I needed a change,” Richardson said.

“I went around to Denis Pagan’s house in Moonee Ponds and had a cup of tea with Denis and his wife made us some scones and we talked about footy.”

Pagan used his famed ‘paddock’ to sell the idea of a move to the Blues.

“He did pull out a whiteboard, it had all the magnets on it with all the Carlton names,” Richardson said.

“He went through the backline, half-backline, centre-line, half-forward line and two forward pockets.

“Every single magnet was pushed up outside the 50 and there was one name inside the 50 — it was Richardson — and he looked at me and he looked at the magnet and he looked at me and looked at the magnet and then he looked back at me and he goes, “We’re going to give you some space, son”.

“I said I’ve seen that before and I’m nowhere near the bloke that used to have the paddock.”

Richardson said he never really entertained the idea of leaving Punt Rd.

“I went to see him (Pagan) because of the interest that he showed and the respect I had for him as a coach, you know, two-time premiership coach at North,” he said.

“We had a chat but never really went anywhere and I stayed at Richmond

“I was out of contract and it was the end of the season … but my heart was always to stay at Richmond.”

www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/former-richmond-star-matthew-richardson-says-denis-pagans-wife-made-him-scones-in-a-bid-to-lure-him-to-carlton/news-story/8cd40ab6eed2fccfb50a474151095f2b

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
Re: Carlton tried to poach Richo (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 02:14:35 PM »
Lucky he didn't. He would've been dead to me like a former premiership player I used to have a name badge of on the sleeve of my duffle coat.
The club that keeps giving.

Jackstar 1960

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 02:17:58 PM »
Old story
Cheryl Pagan doesn't cook scones

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 04:28:52 PM »
Lucky he didn't. He would've been dead to me like a former premiership player I used to have a name badge of on the sleeve of my duffle coat.
Raines, Cloke or Wood?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 05:29:44 PM »
Carlton have tried to poach everyone over the years.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 07:10:57 PM »
‘We’re going to give you some space, son’

Michael Randall
Herald Sun
11 July 2016

“Every single magnet was pushed up outside the 50 and there was one name inside the 50 — it was Richardson — and he looked at me and he looked at the magnet and he looked at me and looked at the magnet and then he looked back at me and he goes, “We’re going to give you some space, son.

www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/former-richmond-star-matthew-richardson-says-denis-pagans-wife-made-him-scones-in-a-bid-to-lure-him-to-carlton/news-story/8cd40ab6eed2fccfb50a474151095f2b

I wish i was there to witness richo and pagan's facial expressions because i get am idea it would have been hilarious

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 08:44:47 PM »
Raines, Cloke or Wood?
It's not the end of the world for a club champ to go to another club even Hafey went to the filth & we all still loved him.
But if it's bad enough going to the filth its absolutely unforgivable to go to the cheating Scum.

That is why the former premiership coach for the filth will remain forever nameless.

The club that keeps giving.