Author Topic: Emmett Dunne to Join RFC Board  (Read 3019 times)

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
Re: Emmett Dunne to Join RFC Board
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2016, 10:14:46 PM »
No doubt he gave all the right anwsers.... :shh

It's all good though, he was elected right? Surely

Just looking on the net for his vision for the club. Email it over when you find it please

Cheers

been looking for the past hour.  Nutin

Back door job when we weren't looking it seems.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2016, 10:16:58 PM »
Dont rock the boat Emmett.

You have a problem with Emmett joining the board?

I thought we didn't have enough footy nous on the board

You happy with the members having no say, again?

Under the constitution there is nothing under handed with the appointment. Board is allowed to replace a director who quits. Really wish people would take the time to understand how the constitution is structured and works but again that's another discussion for another time

How he was selected is another issue.

We are due an election later in the year for those directors whose terms are up if there are more candidates than vacancies

I hope we get that opportunity and  that and the "pub crew" are prepared to do this rather than reported method of them not wanting to face an election and wanting some sort pf transition to get on the board. Because we don't get a say under that scenario. Though it appears thats ok if it gets certain folks on the board

But back to this appointment as per the constitution we the members get no say on this, thats how it works and more to the point when it comes to someone quiting the board during their tenure has always worked
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 10:24:45 PM »
Which directors terms are up?  Did Mathies retire or was his term up?  if his term was up why didn't they wait and let the members elect?  what's stopping those who's term is due to come up from retiring so they can sneak someone in before election.  how is this different to the pub crew transition?  how are the candidates determined - do they need to be screened by Peggy and her people?  seems we are fed chicken pellets.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 10:33:53 PM »
Who's directors terms are up?  Did Mathies retire or was his term up?  what's stopping those who's term is due to come up from retiring so they can sneak someone in before election.  how is this different to the pub crew transition?  how are the candidates determined - do they need to be screened by Peggy and her people?  seems we are fed chicken pellets.

Mathies retired, hence why the board can fill his position for the remainder of his term

O'Neal and Ryan are up for election this year.

I am not sure who of the board appointed directors terms expire this year

All candidates who nominate for a postion on the board are asked to present to the "Nominations Committee". If you remember last year Joe Russo refused to do that

I raised the pub crew scenario because it appears for some poeple how those people get on the board is OK

but how anyone else gets on is some sort of underhanded jobs for the boys appointment

In this case like or not, the board has followed the constitution in the Dunne appointment. There is nothong underhanded in the actually way it has happened

What IMHO needs to be better explained is how he was chosen.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 10:44:34 PM »
IMO all new appointments should go to the members.  this needs to change.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2016, 10:48:42 PM »
Which directors terms are up?  Did Mathies retire or was his term up?  if his term was up why didn't they wait and let the members elect?  what's stopping those who's term is due to come up from retiring so they can sneak someone in before election.  how is this different to the pub crew transition?  how are the candidates determined - do they need to be screened by Peggy and her people?  seems we are fed chicken pellets.

Posted this on another site.
Further to my problem with APPOINTMENTS to the board rather than standing as alternate candidates to be elected is this:
Dalton APPOINTED to the board on 9 November 2004 to cover casual vacancy.
O'Neal APPOINTED to the board on 12 November 2005 to cover casual vacancy.
Free APPOINTED to the board in June 2008 to cover Miller vacancy.
Chadwick APPOINTED to the board on 16 December 2009 to cover Mithen vacancy.
Speed APPOINTED to the board in October 2011 to cover Cameron vacancy.
Walsh APPOINTED to the board in October 2011 to cover Lord vacancy.
Ryan APPOINTED to the board on 18 October 2013 to cover March vacancy.
O'Rourke APPOINTED to the board on 16 October 2015 to cover Walsh vacancy.

The thing that jumps out is that all but Free were appointed shortly before an AGM where the matter could be properly voted on by the members.
In view of full disclosure, O'Shannassy and Matthies were initially ELECTED to the board in the 2004 EGM spill after joining the Casey ticket while it would appear Rob Dalton also was re-elected at that EGM.

O'Shannassey must be feeling lonely.
He's the only one elected to the board and that was in the 2004 spill.

"how are the candidates determined?"
As it says in the presser from the club, Dunne was approved by the Nomination Committee. This was the committee where Dunne was the inaugural chairman.
It is now chaired by Kerry Ryan and has she, O'Neal, Dalton and an outside person (Ben Crowe) as members.

While Peggy O'Neal, who is up for re-election this year, has indicated she plans to stand for another term another long-time director, John Mathies, is expected to step aside after 12 years.

It has also emerged that the Richmond board nominations committee, whom Russo refused to meet when he challenged for the board last year, has changed its regulatory structure.

When established, the committee consisted of three external consultants and one club director. Now the committee includes three current directors - O'Neal, Rob Dalton and Kerry Ryan - along with former Gemba director and the co-founder of Unscripted.com Ben Crowe.

Under the committee rules, O'Neal and Ryan who are up for re-election this year, must both step down from the committee at the end of October.

Further to the changes to the structure, the committee originally had the following rules:
"The Club Board member on the Committee cannot fill the role as Chairperson.  An existing Club director cannot serve on the Committee if their elected term expires in that year."
The current chair is Ryan with O'Neal as a member. Both are up for re-election this year.
Since Matthies was elected (yep he was the other one elected) in 2004 I would say he was due for re-election. ie 12 years = four terms.

Dunno how this works with the board having the right to appoint one of the three directors up for re-election.

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2016, 11:11:00 PM »
Good points that you make Redan. The members now have no say in the constitution of the board.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2016, 11:13:11 PM »
Been on the tribunal panel. Lol.

Who recommended the old number 5 ?

Bringing nothing and jobs for mates as someone already said.

What a poohole.

A board of lawyers, accountants and lagging cops
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline froars

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2016, 11:17:29 PM »
He might bring a few of our princesses into line - Jack facing up to Emmett lol
I'm sure the kids around Richmond back in the day still get shivers up their spine at the mention his name  ;)

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2013/s3765334.htm

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2016, 12:30:18 AM »
A far right undemocratically elected board, running a far left social justice warrior haven.

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2016, 12:39:34 AM »
I hear he wants to be a lawyer so he agreed to doing it to save money on going to uni

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2016, 06:39:37 AM »

Posted this on another site.
Further to my problem with APPOINTMENTS to the board rather than standing as alternate candidates to be elected is this:
Dalton APPOINTED to the board on 9 November 2004 to cover casual vacancy.
O'Neal APPOINTED to the board on 12 November 2005 to cover casual vacancy.
Free APPOINTED to the board in June 2008 to cover Miller vacancy.
Chadwick APPOINTED to the board on 16 December 2009 to cover Mithen vacancy.
Speed APPOINTED to the board in October 2011 to cover Cameron vacancy.
Walsh APPOINTED to the board in October 2011 to cover Lord vacancy.
Ryan APPOINTED to the board on 18 October 2013 to cover March vacancy.
O'Rourke APPOINTED to the board on 16 October 2015 to cover Walsh vacancy.

The thing that jumps out is that all but Free were appointed shortly before an AGM where the matter could be properly voted on by the members.
In view of full disclosure, O'Shannassy and Matthies were initially ELECTED to the board in the 2004 EGM spill after joining the Casey ticket while it would appear Rob Dalton also was re-elected at that EGM.

O'Shannassey must be feeling lonely.
He's the only one elected to the board and that was in the 2004 spill.

"how are the candidates determined?"
As it says in the presser from the club, Dunne was approved by the Nomination Committee. This was the committee where Dunne was the inaugural chairman.
It is now chaired by Kerry Ryan and has she, O'Neal, Dalton and an outside person (Ben Crowe) as members.

While Peggy O'Neal, who is up for re-election this year, has indicated she plans to stand for another term another long-time director, John Mathies, is expected to step aside after 12 years.

It has also emerged that the Richmond board nominations committee, whom Russo refused to meet when he challenged for the board last year, has changed its regulatory structure.

When established, the committee consisted of three external consultants and one club director. Now the committee includes three current directors - O'Neal, Rob Dalton and Kerry Ryan - along with former Gemba director and the co-founder of Unscripted.com Ben Crowe.

Under the committee rules, O'Neal and Ryan who are up for re-election this year, must both step down from the committee at the end of October.

Further to the changes to the structure, the committee originally had the following rules:
"The Club Board member on the Committee cannot fill the role as Chairperson.  An existing Club director cannot serve on the Committee if their elected term expires in that year."
The current chair is Ryan with O'Neal as a member. Both are up for re-election this year.
Since Matthies was elected (yep he was the other one elected) in 2004 I would say he was due for re-election. ie 12 years = four terms.

Dunno how this works with the board having the right to appoint one of the three directors up for re-election.

Sorry but some of that info is incorrect

Both O'Shannassy and Chadwick are currently elected board members. Both faced the members last year and were elected. So to say they were not elected is incorrect. Yes how they first got on was via appointment but currently both are fully elected board members

And if you want to go down a completely technically correct path every other directors outside of O'Rourke & Ryan are "elected" because they have served their terms, faced re-election and have been returned unopposed because there no other candidates to force an actual election. Yes it's a technicality but it is to the terms the constitution the facts of their collective tenures

I get the point you are making but to say no one on the board outside of O'Shannassy has been duly elected to the board is not correct IMHO

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2016, 08:46:31 AM »
The problem WP is that once they're in it's pretty hard to get them out.  They are screened and selected by the current board members and then when their term is up they play the stability card and heaven forbid any member would want to rock the stable boat.  Would imagine (and I think someone here mentioned it) it's quite intimidating going against the grain at the AGM.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 09:38:50 AM by Harry »

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2016, 09:33:36 AM »
Sorry but some of that info is incorrect

Both O'Shannassy and Chadwick are currently elected board members. Both faced the members last year and were elected. So to say they were not elected is incorrect. Yes how they first got on was via appointment but currently both are fully elected board members

And if you want to go down a completely technically correct path every other directors outside of O'Rourke & Ryan are "elected" because they have served their terms, faced re-election and have been returned unopposed because there no other candidates to force an actual election. Yes it's a technicality but it is to the terms the constitution the facts of their collective tenures

I get the point you are making but to say no one on the board outside of O'Shannassy has been duly elected to the board is not correct IMHO

Depends on how you interpret the phrase "elected to the board".
You say in your post that "they have served their terms, faced re-election".
Your point is that the directors were RE-ELECTED to the board after they were initially APPOINTED to the board.
The very same point I made which you claim was incorrect.
In any election there is a huge advantage to incumbency. You ignore this.

There is also the minor point that these directors as you say "served their terms" but in many of the cases as referred to in my previous post these terms were only the monthly remains of the directors they replaced. For example Dunne will replace Matthies from September till the AGM in December and face RE-ELECTION in December, the 3 months remaining of a 3 year term.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2016, 11:56:10 AM »
The problem WP is that once they're in it's pretty hard to get them out. 

That's why the vote on constitutional changes a few years back was so important and people's failure to exercise their right to vote is now biting us.

One of the other charges was allowing the board to appoint directors. Was always going to create a "jobs for the boys/girls" scenario

They are screened and selected by the current board members and then when their term is up they play the stability card and heaven forbid any member would want to rock the stable boat.  Would imagine (and I think someone here mentioned it) it's quite intimidating going against the grain at the AGM.

Sorry but the last bit I can't accept Harry.

Firstly elections for the board are not held at the AGM they held prior to the AGM any voting is anonymous so where is the intimidation factor?

Also, if you want to nominate and getting grilled by a committee is going to put you off something you truly believe (that is your intentions are for all the right reasons) then perhaps your no cut out for the gig anyway. The committee can't stop anyone from nominating so if someone wants to do it they can.

Finally as Russo proved last year if you nominate you don't have to go through interview process so if you for whatever reason you don't want to face them you don't. So I don't see how where you get this intimidation factor from to be honest