Author Topic: Richo wants to play on till 2009  (Read 1221 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richo wants to play on till 2009
« on: January 15, 2006, 04:49:31 AM »
Richo to play on for a final goal
By JON RALPH
Herald-Sun
15jan06

RICHMOND spearhead Matthew Richardson is determined to play finals this year, then sign another contract that could see him extend his career until 2009.

In career-best form last year and injury-free over the pre-season, Richardson said he was primed to replicate the deeds of last year, in which he played every game and kicked 65 goals to jump to third on the Tigers' all-time goalkicking tally.

Richardson turns 31 on March 19 and said the lure of success for the Tigers meant he had no plans to retire.

"I have this year to go on a contract, then I would like to sign another one after that," he said.

"It depends how I play, but I would like to get another three or four years out of myself. With the young players here it would be a great opportunity to (win a flag). Time is running out. You realise that once you get to 30."

He hopes his tally of 65 goals to take him to 645 career majors can be eclipsed, but he is prepared to share the wealth if it advances Richmond's finals aspirations.

"As a forward you look to kick 60 to 80 goals, so somewhere in that range I would be happy with, but it is not about one player kicking goals," he said.

"These days you need four or five guys kicking over 30 goals to be successful.

"Just looking at last year, we won 10 games, so if we didn't do that it would be a bit disappointing.

"We are always looking to improve, and if we only make a small improvement that has you right there hovering around the final eight, so we are looking for that to be a natural progression. We are definitely looking to play finals."

Richardson also expects Nathan Brown to be fit for Round 1 after recovering from a broken leg.

"I am pretty sure 'Browny' will be right for Round 1," he said.

"He is doing just about everything now, so I think he will be starting the first half of the year in the forward line, then in the second half of the year we will get him on to the ball."

Richmond's list yesterday completed the Danger 1000 Ocean Swim at Torquay as part of their varied preparation for this season. Ruckman Trent Knobel led all comers in 16.30min, followed by Joel Bowden, brother Patrick, and Greg Stafford.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,17822611%255E11088,00.html

PuntRdRoar

Re: Richo wants to play on till 2009
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 10:26:07 AM »
Im happy for us to give him 1 year deals from now on ...

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 03:12:42 PM »

Same here Ramps. A post 30 injury prone player is a year by year proposition, no matter how keen he is.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 08:25:41 PM »
Oh music to my ears :pray :pray

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 02:08:37 AM »

Alternatively we could put an option for another year clause in Richo's new contract so if he doesn't suffer a career threatening injury, unlike what sadly happened to Cambo, Richo then automatically continues on playing.

If Richo can avoid any major injury worries and his knees can hold out (touchwood they do), he could deservedly crack the 300 game mark by 2009  :thumbsup.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

letsgetiton!

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 06:26:07 AM »

Alternatively we could put an option for another year clause in Richo's new contract so if he doesn't suffer a career threatening injury, unlike what sadly happened to Cambo, Richo then automatically continues on playing.

If Richo can avoid any major injury worries and his knees can hold out (touchwood they do), he could deservedly crack the 300 game mark by 2009  :thumbsup.   

i agree, nothing stopping him being the next big bastard lynch sitting in the goal square all day. if lynch can do it with chronic fatigue, richo can do it with one leg

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 06:20:56 PM »

i agree, nothing stopping him being the next big bastard lynch sitting in the goal square all day. if lynch can do it with chronic fatigue, richo can do it with one leg

Yup.

How good would it be having Richo play a Lynch type role for another 4 years out of the square?

I'd rather be a devolping mobile KPP Hughes, Limbach type if I had Richo sitting in the square taking the no.1 defender week in, week out.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 10:36:08 AM »
Richo looks good to play beyond 2009 going by his win in the 400m race.  :thumbsup